December 7, 2022

Obituaries 12/7/2022

Chaim “Hymie” Schreiber

Chaim “Hymie” Schreiber, 90, of Princeton, NJ, died peacefully at his home surrounded by his wife and three children on November 30, 2022. He had just celebrated his 90th birthday with his family.

Chaim was born in Durban on September 27, 1932 to Josef and Taube Schreiber, the first of two sons. His parents had emigrated from Poland via Mandate Palestine in the face of rising antisemitism. Chaim grew up in Johannesburg and studied engineering at a technical college, initially working alongside his father in a locksmith and window business. Drawing from his surname Schreiber, which means ‘scribe’ in German, he had an ambition to manufacture ballpoint pens in South Africa. He established the Scribe Pen Company and established a relationship with BIC in France, a business that his younger brother, Bennie, went on to manage. For a short time thereafter, he was a director at his father-in-law’s import business, before turning his energy back to his own pursuits. Subsequently, he founded a manufacturing business, which produced medical syringes and supplies. This flourished for a number of decades, before selling it to the American Hospital Supplies Corporation.

Chaim married Gaby Hirsch on June 21, 1959 and they recently celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary. They had three children, Colin, Karen, and Jacqui and lived in Johannesburg until February 1978, when they emigrated to Princeton in the wake of political unrest in South Africa. They made Princeton their home and have lived in the same house for 43 years. He was devoted to his seven grandchildren, who live in America and the United Kingdom. Chaim was especially proud as he witnessed them growing into independent young adults and receiving a university education, something he strongly valued.

Soon after settling in Princeton, Chaim audited classes in history and world religion at Princeton University. He read and thought deeply, always seeking to understand politics and world events in all their complexity. Until the end of his life, he continued to read his favorite magazine, The Economist, from cover to cover and newspapers from around the world. He was always happy to argue and debate with family.

He filled his days with his passion for road cycling, organizing and leading bike rides until the age of 88. He took pleasure in the meticulous planning of routes, which are still enjoyed by his friends at both the Princeton and Morris area Freewheelers. Chaim cultivated a huge repertoire of jokes, which he shared throughout his life. Chaim’s friends and family often remarked on his encyclopedic recall and ability to share a joke for every occasion, no matter how irreverent.

He was loved deeply and will be hugely missed by his wife, Gaby; his children, Colin (Sandy), Karen (Gary Lubner), and Jacqui (Peter Miller); his grandchildren, Sam, Hannah, Julia, Jordannah, Max, Sydney, and Jack; his large extended family; and his many friends.

Funeral arrangements are by Orland’s Ewing Memorial Chapel. For condolences, please visit the obituary page at


William Fullerton (Sandy) Otis, Jr.

William Fullerton (Sandy) Otis, Jr. died at home on November 28, 2022, at the age of 97 after a fall. He was alert, talkative, and lucid right to his end. 

Sandy was born on October 16, 1925 in Kansas City, Missouri. In September of 1940 he entered St. Paul’s School in Concord, New Hampshire. He excelled in sports at St. Paul’s, and in his senior year was Secretary of his Form.

Sandy was permitted by St. Paul’s to graduate in December 1943 along with two friends, Frank Vickers and Mike McClanahan, in order to enlist in the United States Army Air Corps to fight in World War II. Sandy and Frank Vickers were sent to England and fought as tail gunners in B-25s. Unfortunately, Vickers was shot down and killed on a mission. Sandy’s plane was also shot down on one occasion but he parachuted out over Holland, survived, and was back at the air base within 36 hours. He completed 34 combat missions. For his war service, Sandy was awarded both the Air Medal and the Distinguished Flying Cross.

After the war, Sandy met his first wife, Grete, who had come to the United States from Norway right after the war, at International House in New York City. They soon traveled around the country finding jobs together and spent the winter of 1949 in Jackson, Wyoming, where Sandy skied. Thereafter, Sandy and Grete moved to Middlebury, Vermont, where Sandy attended Middlebury College on the G.I. Bill and graduated in the Class of 1953. His first child, Christine, was born in 1950 in Middlebury. He went on to Vermont Medical School in Burlington, Vermont, graduating in 1957. His second child, Kim, was born in Burlington in 1954.

Sandy did his internship and residency at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, which he completed in the summer of 1959. He then took his family to Europe for 14 months. The family lived the winter in Lech, Austria, and the rest of the year in a small town on the southern coast of Spain.

Sandy started his psychiatric practice in 1962 at The Carrier Clinic, a psychiatric hospital in Belle Mead, New Jersey, where he was a practicing psychiatrist until 1977. He was most proud of introducing group therapy to the Clinic. In 1978-79, Sandy and Grete moved to Zurich where Sandy studied to become a Jungian analyst at the Jung Institute. On their return to Princeton Sandy had a private practice until 1992. 

After his retirement from private practice Sandy audited several courses a semester at Princeton University for over 20 years. He traveled to town every day on his motorcycle and loved being in town, often using the library to do his studies. For decades he also met with a small group of older men every morning for two hours at Bon Appétit. When the pandemic ended that, he continued to meet with the group on Zoom until shortly before his death. 

After the death of his first wife in 1999 Sandy married Daniela Bittman. For many years Sandy and Daniela traveled to Europe every summer for over two months, staying at an apartment above a barn in Switzerland, as well as places they found in the Dordogne region of France. He loved to travel around Switzerland and hiked many mountains in the Alps.

Sandy always said that he was one of the luckiest men alive and that he enjoyed his life tremendously. He famously said that his 80s were the best decade of his life. When he had a motorcycle accident in his 90th year, things started to get more difficult. He said he was particularly lucky to have a second marriage to Daniela. They were devoted to each other. She took wonderful care of him, especially and completely at the end of his life.

Sandy is survived by his wife Daniela Bittman, his son and daughter-in-law Kim and Loraine Otis, his granddaughter Anna Otis, his stepson Jonathan Bittman and his wife, Sarah Jeffrey and daughter, Bodil. Sandy was also predeceased by his daughter, Christine Otis.

At Sandy’s request there will be no service. He asked that if after he died anyone who knew him personally remembered a good moment with him, that was all he wanted.


Maryann Stocki Warren

Maryann Stocki Warren died at home on November 29, 2022 after valiantly battling stage 4 lung cancer for over eight years. She is survived by her husband, John Warren, and her sons Patrick (Jolene) and Philip (Ruth) and four grandchildren, Oliver, Ethan, Wes, and Ayelet.

Maryann was born on November 11, 1954 in Newark, New Jersey, the daughter of Laura and Joe Stocki. She was predeceased by her brother, Raymond Stocki, and her parents. Maryann grew up in New Jersey and Virginia, graduating from Hopewell Valley High School. She attended Trenton State, now The College of New Jersey, where she earned a BA in Education with a minor in Art History. She modeled for Ford Models, ran a daycare out of her home, and worked for many years at Princeton University’s library, among other occupations.

Maryann loved her family, her pets, and animals in general, especially birds, dogs, and horses. She enjoyed working in her garden — particularly with the family’s first bird, Boo, walking around on the grass next to her — and knew a lot about flowers and other plants. She was a devoted music fan (especially David Bowie) and she loved to dance. She was a huge Phillies fan (shoutout to Jayson 2008!) and never missed her sons’ Little League games. Maryann adored coffee, gummy bears, and licorice. She loved Eaglesmere, the Jersey Shore, and Cape Cod, and visited many times over the years. Her paradise was sitting in a beach chair watching the sun set over the bay. She cherished family holidays and gave the most thoughtful, beautifully wrapped gifts; she frequently sent lovely cards. The house in Princeton that she shared with John and where she raised Pat and Phil is decorated with the photos she chose and the curtains she sewed. The family enjoyed walks to and from town for the Christmas tree lighting and visits to Thomas Sweet and Halo Pub. In recent years, her greatest pleasure was playing with her grandchildren.

Maryann will be remembered for her wonderful, distinctive laugh, wearing a turtleneck and holding a mug. A memorial will be held early in 2023.

The family wishes to thank Dr. Peter Yi and the entire team that supported Maryann and the family during her illness. Donations in Maryann’s honor may be made to your local animal shelter.


Helen Louise Schaufler

Helen Louise Schaufler, affectionately known as “Weezie,” passed away peacefully on November 23, 2022. She was 91.

Born in Philadelphia, PA, on March 11, 1931 to George and Mary (Snavely) Schaufler, Weezie grew up in Ambler, PA. She is survived by her brother George Theodore “Ted” Schaufler (Sue) of Newport News, Virginia; niece Amie Hellauer (Kurt) of Andover, Massachusetts; nephew Andrew Schaufler of Virginia Beach, Virginia; great nieces Mary Hellauer and Erin Hellauer; as well as many Snavely cousins.

While attending Wilson College in Chambersburg, PA, Weezie continued her lifelong love of learning by studying economics and mathematics. In addition to her academic accomplishments, she was an equally gifted athlete. As captain of the field hockey team and a leader among women, Weezie forged enduring bonds of friendship with several of her classmates. She graduated in 1952 with a BS in Economics.

A pioneering woman, she embarked upon her career in scientific research, initially working for DuPont in Wilmington, DE. A few years later, friends in Princeton encouraged her to join them there. Always up for an adventure, she cheerfully agreed. In May 1955 she accepted an appointment by Princeton University to the Forrestal Research Center, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Department – helicopter division. In 1977 she transferred to the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab. She retired from the university in 1992 and called Princeton home for 67 years. She loved the town and knew much of its history.

Weezie loved letters, arts and sciences. Her many friends would often ask “Where is Weezie?” rather than “How is Weezie?” A free spirit with a wanderlust, she traveled the globe, sharing her dry sense of humor with all whom she encountered. Her first trip to Europe took her to Amsterdam in 1954. The travel bug bit hard and she made many trips, including an archeological dig at Aphrodesias in Turkey, an Earthwatch trip to Gibraltar to study the mating habits of the Barbary apes, an exploration of the Amazon, a camel ride on the beach in Kenya, a river boat trip in East Germany and an Audubon birding trip in the Caribbean.

Her interests encompassed many passions, including avid gardener, birder, fierce animal protector, gourmet cook, excellent tennis player as well as supporter of the sport and a voracious reader of nonfiction. She loved to research word origins, slay the NY Times Crossword puzzle, enjoyed the wonders of nature, the game of bridge, swimming, skiing, and nurturing friendships.

The family thanks her many friends who provided companionship, care and support, particularly in her latter years. Special thanks go to Carol Brown Yam. Memorial contributions may be made to the ASPCA or an animal-centered charity of your choice. Burial will be private.

Arrangements are under the direction of Mather-Hodge Funeral Home, Princeton.