January 6, 2021

Obituaries 1/6/2021

Evangelisto “Angelo” DiMeglio

Evangelisto “Angelo” DiMeglio, 82, of Princeton passed away suddenly on Monday, December 28, 2020. 

Predeceased by his parents Francesco and Lucia (Cuomo) DiMeglio, he is survived by his wife Annunziata “Nancy” (Sasso) DiMeglio; son Frank DiMeglio (Laura); daughters Lisa DiMeglio and Julie Willenbacher; grandchildren Alex DiMeglio, Melissa Dean (Jonathan), Jillian DiMeglio, Jordan DiMeglio, Christian Evangelisto Willenbacher, Grayson Willenbacher; great-grandson, Sebastian Michael Dean; brothers and sisters in the U.S. and Ischia, Italy; and many extended family.

A memorial service will be held at a later date due to COVID-19 restrictions.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Wounded Warrior Project.

Arrangements are under the direction of Mather-Hodge Funeral Home, Princeton.


Lesley Johnston

Lesley Johnston, 72, of Skillman, New Jersey, passed away at Princeton Penn Medical Center on December 22, 2020.

Lesley was born in Trenton, New Jersey, and spent her childhood in Yardley, Pennsylvania. She went on to graduate from Princeton Day School in Princeton, New Jersey. She then followed in her mother’s footsteps and attended Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts, graduating in 1970.

After college, Lesley became a social worker at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and The Carrier Clinic in Belle Mead, New Jersey, before devoting herself full-time to raising two wonderful boys, Tim and Chris, in both Pennington and Skillman, New Jersey.  

If family and friends could choose one word to describe Lesley, it would be “stylish,” — in fashion, summers on Nantucket, trips to Italy, after learning the language, and especially New York City. She embraced the City and never tired of its rush and excitement, especially the Upper West Side.

Lesley is survived by her husband Todd of 50 years; loving sons Tim of Wellesley, Massachusetts, and Chris of Mesa, Arizona; Tim’s wife Chrissie; and three grandchildren, Graham, Blakeny, and Spencer.

A dedicated wife, mother, and grandmother, she will be missed terribly by her family and many friends.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may kindly be made to the Smile Train charity (www.smiletrain.org).

Arrangements are under the direction of Mather-Hodge Funeral Home, Princeton.


Henry Welling Lane

Henry Welling Lane died at his home in Bay Head, N.J., on December 12. He was 65 and had battled pancreatic cancer for 27 months.

The fifth of seven children of Arthur Stephen and Sally Kuser Lane, he grew up in Harbourton, N.J. He was a fiercely competitive natural athlete who played hockey, football, and lacrosse at Princeton Day School and Middlesex School. Like his father, he attended Princeton University, where he played on freshman and varsity teams in all three sports. Following his 1978 graduation, he was accepted into Proctor & Gamble’s sales training program, working for the food division in New England. He went on to management sales positions in Tom’s of Maine, Environmental Products Corp., and Nestlé Waters North America.

He married Cecily Maureen Glavin in 1991. Five years later, he became a partner in Dioptics Medical Products, a medical eyewear business, and they and their first son moved to San Luis Obispo, Calif. While serving as CEO/President, his interest in innovation led to his being granted 114 patents. He named one popular line of eyewear cases “Kerney Cases,” the name of his second son and his maternal grandmother’s maiden name.

During the years in San Luis Obispo, he was active in local non-profits, serving on the boards of the San Luis Obispo County YMCA and the United Way of San Luis Obispo County, and as the civilian representative on the Parole Board of the County of San Luis Obispo Probation Department. His personal yardstick for determining how and where to focus his energy was: “Serve others, nurture potential, enrich lives.” He was an active board chair for Mission College Prep, the private Catholic school his sons attended. Like his father before him, he helped chauffeur his sons to practice, traveling teams, and tournaments, missing his front-row seat at their games only when he was traveling for business. He organized a mentoring program at the California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly) Orfalea School of Business. He was also loyal to his alma mater, serving in various volunteer roles around fundraising and community service. 

Following his divorce and his family’s relocation to the East, he and the family dog, Oreo, drove east in 2015 to live fulltime at his favorite place, the Lane family shore house. After years of visiting Bay Head some part of each summer, he settled into a life of hosting family and friends year-round, broken up by trips to see his sons play in high school and college tournaments. He would pick up his mother on the way to Princeton and they’d share a meal and attend Princeton football, basketball and lacrosse games. He decorated the 1880 Shingle Style house he lived in with vintage maps and photographs of old Bay Head. His interest in the small town’s growth led him to work on other house histories, which he donated to the Bay Head Historical Society as a fundraiser.

Like many people diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, he learned of it by accident, during preliminary tests for a hip replacement in 2018. He started this unexpected chapter by determining to live in the present, to face his diagnosis head-on. He shared that outlook with friends and family, and soon had a steady flow of visitors from all over the country and different periods of his life. Every two weeks, he’d choose the most central seat for chemo, so he could learn from the experiences of people he’d never see again. He chatted up all sorts of medical professionals — physicians assistants, his pharmacist and chemo technicians, surgeons, and dieticians.

A year after his diagnosis, his 94-year-old mother began to fail as he regained health. He joined in a rotation with his sisters, spending a few days a week visiting her, getting her outside on sunny days, watching TV sports with her. By the time the pandemic stranded her in her nursing home in mid-March, he had begun losing weight. He was determined to move her to the shore house where she had spent so many Augusts. He would call relatives and old friends of hers, letting her talk in those early weeks, later putting the calls on speakerphone so he could speak for her. When she died peacefully in early June, his health had started to decline. 

He pushed on, determined to regain strength. He became a grandfather in September, and talked of moving to Charleston for the winter, to be near this sweet new life he was sharing through facetime sessions. He was hospitalized for weeks in October and November, and by Thanksgiving realized he was dying, as a steady circle of family and friends helped fuel his spirit. To his great joy, all three sons, his daughter-in-law, and granddaughter visited for days right before his death.

He is survived by his sons, Arthur Scannell Lane and wife, Gabby, parents of Camden Elizabeth, of Charleston, S.C., Kerney Glavin Lane and fiancée, Ashley Dodson, of Huntsville, Ala.; and Everett Richard Lane, of Oxford, Miss.; six brothers and sisters, Sarah K. Lane (Sam Graff), of Trenton, N.J.; A. Stephen Lane, Jr. (Marie) of Groton, Mass.; Mark K. Lane (Linda Axelrod), of Little Falls, N.J.; Catherine S. Lane (Stephen Jacobs), of Colorado Springs, Colo.; Mary K. Lane, of Weehawken, N.J.; and Teresa D. Lane (Edward Nelson), of Basking Ridge, N.J.; 13 nieces and nephews, as well as great-nieces and great-nephews, and many cousins.

Funeral arrangements will await a time when his family and friends can join in celebrating Henry’s life.

Donations in his memory may be sent to the San Luis Obispo County Y.M.C.A., 1020 Southwood Drive, San Luis Obispo, Calif. 93401, or to the Bay Head Historical Society, P.O. Box 127, Bay Head, N.J. 


Roslyn Denard

Roslyn Denard, a longtime resident of Princeton, died at the age of 96 on December 31st at Stonebridge in Skillman, NJ.

Roz was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, and graduated with a degree in Political Science from the University of Pennsylvania. She was married to her loving husband, Norman, of 73 years. Norm and Roz moved to Princeton in the early ’50s where they created a wonderful home for their three children.

In 1962 Roz started working at the Princeton Packet, selling classified ads over the phone, and retired 32 years later as General Manager of the group of 13 regional newspapers. Throughout her tenure with the Packet her business passion never waned. 

After Roz retired she became a Princeton Township Committee woman for the next six years. One of the major accomplishments during her term on the Township Committee was the formation of the Human Services Commission in 1998. This included involvement with Secure@Home and Chore Corps, a community service spinoff of Community Without Walls (CWW — an outstanding Princeton organization that makes it possible for people to stay in their own homes as long as they so desire and are able to do so). Roz was extremely proud to be one of the founders of CWW.

As an advocate of services for senior citizens, Ms. Denard’s key causes included bringing market-rate senior housing to Princeton and building a senior center in town through the Coalition for Senior Housing.

She was also a member of the Final Exit Network, a volunteer right-to-die organization, as well as a volunteer at Reading for the Blind.

Leadership was clearly a strength of hers as was demonstrated by her commitment to her community at The Jewish Center as President of the Women’s Division for many years between 1956 and 1970. She also played a key role in the building of and the moving to its current location.

Experiencing the world and its varied cultures was also a priority in her and her husband’s lives, subsequently leading to visits to over 50 countries worldwide and many states within America. The two always brought back, among other things, incredible stories and pictures.

Both she and Norm made frequent trips to NYC, Philadelphia, and DC to experience museums, theater, musical performances, and to participate in civil-rights marches. If you knew Roz, you knew she was a lover of art, music, history, and architecture. She loved to make things happen, was an outstanding communicator, a high achiever, and loved living in Princeton. Roz was incredibly grateful for the wonderful life she had which  was truly enhanced by her lifelong friendships made right here in Princeton.

Roslyn is survived by her husband Norman, her son Jeff, and her daughter Lisa Denard (Peter Koval), as well as five grandchildren, Sean, Jessica, Tracy, Amanda, and Alexis, and two great-grandchildren, Evelyn and Walker. She is predeceased by her parents Jack and Fan Silvers, her sister Maxine Bradie, and her daughter, Karen Denard Goldman.

A memorial service will be planned for a later date.


Donald Charles Long

Donald Charles Long of Doylestown, PA, formerly of Yardley, PA, passed away on December 22 at the age of 83 after a long illness.

For 60 years he was the loving husband of Doris R. Long. He was also the devoted father of Donna L. Long and David B. Long and the proud grandfather of Merritt C. Long. He is also survived by his younger brother Barry Long of Charlotte, NC.

Donald was born in Allentown, PA, in July 1937 to Charles and Pearl Long and grew up in neighboring Emmaus, PA. He graduated from Emmaus High School in 1955 and then earned a BS degree in electrical engineering from Penn State
University in 1959. For many years afterwards, Donald, Doris, and a loyal group of friends would attend Penn State home football games at Beaver Stadium. 

After marrying the former Doris R. Landis in 1960 at Saint Luke’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in Dublin, PA, Donald and Doris lived in the Germantown section of Philadelphia where Donald worked at Philco while earning his master’s degree in electrical engineering at the Drexel Institute of Technology (now Drexel University) in 1964. After graduation he got a job building satellites for RCA in Hightstown, NJ, and they moved to Yardley borough, eventually buying a house for their growing family in Lower Makefield Township. After a few years, Donald moved to a new job as a research engineer at Princeton University’s Department of Astrophysical Sciences. There he worked on various projects including building cameras for sounding rockets and large astronomical telescopes. In 1983 he moved over to the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory on the Forrestal Campus of Princeton University where he designed diagnostic equipment for large tokamak nuclear fusion reactors, eventually retiring in 2002.  

Ever the avid outdoorsman, as a youth Donald raised pigeons and trapped muskrats to earn pocket money. As an adult, he enjoyed fishing and hunting deer, bear, and turkey, particularly in Elk and Cameron Counties in northwestern Pennsylvania. He was a founding member of the “Thirteen Buck” hunting club in Benezette, Elk County, PA, which is located in the home range of the state’s only wild Rocky Mountain Elk herd. 

Donald was also a lifelong home gardener of both vegetables and flowers. For over two decades he had a community garden plot in Lower Makefield Township, first at the old Vargo farm on Woodside Road, then at the Patterson Farm, and finally back to the Vargo farm which after 2001 had become the new Memorial Park and Garden of Reflection.  

Due to the pandemic, all services will be private. An outdoor memorial service in the late spring/early summer of 2021 is planned.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in Donald’s name can be made to the Alzheimer’s Association at www.alz.org or the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation at www.rmef.org/donate/memorials-honoraria.

Reed and Steinbach Funeral Home, Doylestown; reedandsteinbach.com.


John Evelyn duPont Irving Jr.

John Evelyn duPont Irving Jr. died at his home in Princeton, New Jersey, on December 13th, 2020.  John was born on December 24th, 1948 in Wilmington, DE, to Louise and John Irving. He is survived by his beloved wife of 30 years, Lynn Lu Irving, and his three children, Geoffrey, Michael, and Anne Irving. He is also survived by his younger siblings Douglas, David, and Carol.

After graduation from St. George’s School in Middleton, RI, in 1967, John attended Kenyon College, where he graduated in 1971. He then enlisted in the United States Army on October 20th, 1971 and served at home and abroad as a Counterintelligence Agent. John left the Army in 1975 as a Sergeant.

After leaving the Army, John moved to Princeton, NJ, and devoted himself to the art of the written word. He made a living as a freelance journalist and contributing author to a number of journals and magazines. John married Lu Xiong Ying (“Lynn”) in 1989. Over the course of the next 30 years, John worked as an Editor at the National Association of Scholars while raising his three children in Princeton. He impressed his love of music, art, and the written word onto his children, and was well known for his volunteer work with Princeton Arts Council’s Café Improv and life drawing class. 

John was a loving and caring husband, father, and friend. His loss is mourned by all those who knew him and enjoyed making art with him. His family plans to hold a memorial wake once circumstances permit gatherings again. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Princeton Charter School Capital & Endowment Fund, 100 Bunn Drive, Princeton, NJ 08540.