June 21, 2017

Prepare for Hurricanes And Other Potential Storms

With forecasters predicting a busy 2017 hurricane and tropical storm season, Mercer County Executive Brian M. Hughes is urging County residents to prepare and plan for potential storms this summer and fall. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, forecasters predict a 45 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season.

Although it’s impossible to predict how the season might affect Mercer County residents, the county executive advises residents that it’s better to be over prepared. Mr. Hughes suggests taking the following readiness steps in preparation for hurricane season:

• Put together a kit of emergency supplies that includes a three-day supply of canned, non-perishable, ready-to-eat food; a three-day supply of water (a total of 3 gallons per family member); prescription medications; a battery-operated radio and extra batteries; a flashlight and extra batteries; and a first aid kit.

• Make a plan for what you and your family will do during an emergency, including how pets will be cared for. Know how you will evacuate and how to “shelter in place,” which means stay home and avoid driving if at all possible.

• Stay informed of possible threats by tuning in to your local media outlets for the latest breaking weather news. Also register for the Mercer County Emergency Notification System at www.mercercounty.org/departments/emergency-management-public-safety/mercer-county-emergency-notification-system.