Mrs. Leola Butler, 94, of Earlysville, Va., formerly of Rocky Hill, died October 14 at Our Lady of Peace Convalescent Center in Charlottesville, Va.
Born in Plainsboro, she had been a longtime resident of Rocky Hill before moving to Virginia.
Daughter of the late Mae and Charles Breese and wife of the late Robert J. Butler, she is survived by her two sons, Robert A. Butler of Earlysville, Va. and Kenneth Butler of Whiting, N.J.; a sister, Lillian Durling of Rocky Hill; five grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.
The funeral service was October 18 at the Kimble Funeral Home. Burial was in Rocky Hill Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to a charity of the donor’s choice.
Leonard Rutson Hunt, 70, of Skillman, died October 15 at Jersey Shore Medical Center, Neptune.
Born in Princeton, he had lived in the Princeton area all of his life. He was a 1955 graduate of Princeton High School.
He learned his trade as a master carpenter with his brother at Hunt and Augustine Builders. Later he founded L.R. Hunt and Associates of Skillman in 1978. He was involved in building more than 400 custom homes in the Princeton area, including the restoration of Tulane Barn.
He was a 60-year member of the Blawenburg Reformed Church, having held positions as deacon, elder, and vice president of Consistory. He was on the board of trustees of Trenton Habitat for Humanity and head of its construction committee. He served as a past fire chief of the Blawenburg Fire Company, Station No. 46. He was also a member of the Delaware Valley Businessmen’s Association and member of the New Jersey Association of Builders.
He served in the Army National Guard, and was an usher at the Great Auditorium of Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association.
Son of the late Marvin and Margaret Hunt, husband of the late Ruth Rodenberger Hunt, and grandfather of the late Cynthia Carol Weingart, he is survived by his wife, Sonya Hunt; a son, Tim Hunt of Wilmington, N.C.; a daughter, Sue Weingart of Belle Mead; a step-son, Justin Geisel of Richmond, Va.; a step-daughter, Janelle Werdesheim of Studio City, Calif.; a brother, Raymond Hunt of Skillman; and nine grandchildren.
The funeral was October 19 at the Blawenburg Reformed Church, Blawenburg. Burial was in Blawenburg Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to Blawenburg Reformed Church, P.O. Box 266, Blawenburg 08504; or to Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association Now and Forever Fund, P.O. Box 248, Ocean Grove, N.J. 07756.
Sally Welling Mirandi, 77, of San Diego, formerly of Trenton and Princeton, died October 4 peacefully at home, with her family at her side. The cause was complications from chronic lymphocytic leukemia, with which she was diagnosed in 1987.
The daughter of Henry Welling and Katharine Kerney Welling, she was raised in Trenton with her older brother Henry and younger sister Katharine. Her maternal grandfather, Judge James Kerney, was publisher of the Trenton Times Newspapers. She attended Miss Fine’s School and graduated from Vassar College in 1952, before attending graduate school.
She met her first husband, Dan Sullivan, at graduate school. They lived abroad for several years before moving back to Princeton to raise their five children. She was one of the founders of the Princeton Montessori School at Our Lady of Princeton.
She later became a student and teacher at Arica, in Boston, where she met her second husband, Mark Mirandi. The Mirandis moved to Oakland, Calif., where she studied at the College of the Holy Cross and later settled in San Diego.
She is survived by five children, Danny Sullivan of San Diego, Mary Sullivan of Cambridge, Mass., Carrie Dalton of Los Angeles, Henry Sullivan of Little Silver, N.J., and Tony Sullivan of Portland, Ore.; a sister, Katharine “Tappy” Broderick of Chapel Hill, N.C.; and six grandchildren.
A Mass of Resurrection will be celebrated on Monday, November 12, at St. Paul’s Church in Princeton. Monsignor Walter E. Nolan will officiate.
Dr. Burton Paul, 76, of Princeton, died October 19 in the University Medical Center at Prlnceton.
Born in Jersey City, he was raised in the Bronx, N.Y. and was a resident of Princeton for the past 44 years. He attended Princeton University on scholarships and graduated magna cum laude with a BSE in mechanical engineering in 1953. He then attended Stanford University where he received an MS in engineering mechanics in 1954. From 1954 to 1956, he was a senior research engineer at Bulova R&D Laboratories where he worked for the U.S. Army in the area of armor penetration of high speed projectiles. During this time he attended the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn, earning a Ph.D. in applied mechanics in 1958. Upon graduation he joined the faculty of Brown University where he conducted research in plasticity, elasticity, and brittle fracture for what was at the time the world’s leading institution in the field of plasticity.
In 1961, Dr. Paul joined Bell Telephone Laboratories as Supervisor of Engineering Mechanics, doing work for the nation’s space program involving critical structural and thermal problems in satellite design. He moved in 1963 to the Ingersoll-Rand Research Center as Chief of Solid Mechanics Research, where his work resulted in innovations in the design of compressors, pumps, gas engines, steam converters, and drilling equipment.
Dr. Paul arrived at the University of Pennsylvania in 1969, where he spent the next 27 years of his professional life. He became the first chairman of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics in 1973, and in 1982 became the Asa Whitney Professor of Dynamical Engineering. His diverse contributions to both academia and industry would become a great source of “real world” knowledge and inspiration to Penn students over the next three decades.
During the course of his career, he published over 100 papers and served as a consultant to legal and industrial firms on a variety of cases involving patents and mechanical equipment. ln 1979 he authored the acclaimed text Kinematics and Dynamics of Planar Machinery.
Son of the late Harry and Beatrice Paul, he is survived by his wife, Lois Simon Paul; two sons, Jordan of Wellington, Fla. and Douglas of Clinton, N.J.; two brothers, Jerome Paul of Mission Viejo, Calif. and Steven Paul of East Brunswick; and four grandchildren.
The funeral service and burial were October 23 at Beth Israel Cemetery, Woodbridge.
Memorial contributions may be offered to Boston University School of Medicine, Amyloid Research Fund, 715 Albany Street (K503), Boston, Mass. 02118; or to Brigham and Women’s Hospital Cardiac Amyloid Program, c/o Rodney H. Falk, M.D., Harvard Vanguard Dept. of Cardiology, 133 North Brookline Avenue, Boston, Mass. 02215.
Funeral arrangements were by Orland’s Ewing Memorial Chapel, Ewing.
Janette Hegner Wheeler, 99, of Hightstown and South Bristol, Maine died October 17 at Meadow Lakes.
The daughter of Dr. Robert W. Hegner and Jane Z. Hegner, she was born in Chicago and grew up in Ann Arbor, Mich. and Baltimore, Md.
She graduated cum laude from Radcliffe College in 1930 and spent a year in Rome on a postgraduate International Fellowship at the American Academy.
She worked at Harriet Lane, the pediatric ward at Johns Hopkins University Hospital, as a social worker, and taught at the Rye Country Day School. After marriage to John Archibald Wheeler in 1932 she lived for several years in Chapel Hill, N.C. before moving to Princeton in 1938, where Prof. Wheeler taught physics at Princeton University.
During World War II Mrs. Wheeler made a home for her family in Chicago, Wilmington, and Richland, Wash., where her husband oversaw the development of plutonium for the atom bomb. In later years she accompanied him on sabbaticals to France, Los Alamos, New Mexico, the Netherlands, and Japan.
The Wheelers were founding members of the Unitarian Church of Princeton, and Mrs. Wheeler initiated the Friends of the Princeton Public Library. She was a member of the League of Women Voters, the University League and its garden club, and an early docent at the University Art Museum. She was the first alumna chosen from outside the Boston area to be a member of the Radcliffe College Alumnae Board of Management. She devoted a great deal of time and effort to looking after her family as well as an extended family of graduate students and distinguished physicists from around the world.
After Prof. Wheeler’s retirement in 1976, Prof. and Mrs. Wheeler spent ten happy years in Austin, Texas where he had gone to head the newly created Center for Theoretical Physics at the University of Texas.
Mrs. Wheeler is survived by her husband of 72 years, John; two daughters, Letitia W. Ufford and Alison W. Lahnston of Princeton; a son, Dr. James Wheeler of Ardmore, Pa.; eight grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.
A private memorial service will be held in Maine during the summer.
Memorial gifts may be made to Planned Parenthood Association of the Mercer Area, 437 East State Street, Trenton 08650; or to the Friends of the Princeton Public Library, 65 Witherspoon Street, Princeton 08542.
Return to Top | Go to People