Lillian Carrignan Carnevale, 90, of Brick Township, formerly of Princeton, died December 23 at Burnt Tavern Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center in Brick.
Born in Holyoke, Mass., the daughter of Arthur and Parmelia Carrignan, she attended schools in Massachusetts before moving to Princeton, where she lived for 60 years before moving to Lawrenceville, Jackson, and Brick Township.
She graduated from Princeton Hospital School of Nursing and worked as a nurse at Princeton Hospital for many years. She also worked for many years as a private duty nurse before going to work for Princeton University.
Predeceased by her husband, Raphael Carnevale, in 1991, she is survived by a daughter, Arlene Sannino Kemph of Brick Township; a son, Ralph of Ashville, N.C.; a sister, Pearl Lee of Mercerville; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Memorial donations may be made to Providence House, P.O. Box 4344, Brick 08723; or to the Sunshine Foundation, P.O. Box 55130, Trenton 08638.
Arrangements were by the O'Brien Funeral Home, Brick.
Nellie Lopatka Dey, 86, of Rocky Hill, died December 26 at the University Medical Center at Princeton.
Born in Jerome, Pa., she grew up in New Market, later named Piscataway. She received her high school diploma in New York City before moving to Rocky Hill, where she lived for the last 65 years of her life.
She worked for Educational Testing Service as a secretary and was head of the circular mail section. She retired in 1979 after 27 years of service.
She was a volunteer and secretary for the Rocky Hill First Aid and Rescue Squad for many years, and a past member of the Ladies Auxiliary for the Rocky Hill Fire Company.
She was a communicant of the Catholic Community of St. Charles Borromeo Church in Skillman.
Daughter of the late John and Helen Lopatka, she was predeceased by her husband, George (Buster) Dey; two sisters, Marya DeBonis of Troy, N.Y., and Ella Franchino of Raritan; and two brothers, Charles Lopatka of Colorado and John Lopatka Jr. of South Plainfield. She is survived by three daughters, Georgiana Mazzella of Rocky Hill, Gloria Tylutki of Manalapan, and Patricia Rieszer of Princeton; three sisters, Genevieve Tindall of Greenbrook, Lydia Stutski of Edison, and Stella Snyder of Fiddletown, Calif.; a brother, Leo Lopatka of Lady Lake, Fla.; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
The funeral service was December 30 in the chapel of St. Charles Borromeo Church, followed by a Mass of Christian Burial. Burial was in Rocky Hill Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to Rocky Hill First Aid and Rescue Squad, P.O. Box 175, Rocky Hill 08553; or to a charity of the donor's choice.
Norman Eiger, 77, of Montgomery, died December 29 at the Stonebridge retirement community. He had been a Princeton resident from 1966 until 2005 before moving to Stonebridge in April.
He was a professor emeritus at Rutgers University where he served on the faculty of the School of Labor and Management Relations for 28 years.
Dr. Eiger was an alumnus of City College of New York, Rutgers University, and New York University. He was also a gifted artist who attended New York's High School of Music and Art and whose work was featured at a number of one-person exhibits encompassing a variety of media.
Prior to joining the Rutgers faculty, he enlisted in the Johnson Administration's war on poverty as a training director. He gained his expertise in labor studies as an executive with the International Ladies Garment Workers Union, now part of UNITE.
Following his retirement from Rutgers in the mid-1990s, he was accepted as a member of the Princeton Art Museum's Docent Association and served for ten years as an expert guide to the museum's exhibits.
He is survived by his wife, Dotty A. Goldman; a son, Randall; a daughter, Pam Bardon; and two grandchildren.
A memorial service and exhibition of his recent artwork will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday, January 8 at the Stonebridge retirement community on Montgomery Road, Montgomery.
Memorial contributions may be made to the American Civil Liberties Union, or to a charity of the donor's choice.
Edmund Ludwig King, 91, of Laredo, Texas, formerly of Princeton, died December 25 at home.
A distinguished scholar of Spanish literature at Princeton University, he left his home of 55 years on the University campus in January 2005, following the death of his wife, and chose to live in Laredo because it offered a familiar, Hispanic environment.
Born in St. Louis, Mo., he returned as a small child with his mother, Lydia Ludwig King, to her parents' home in Austin, Texas. Following his mother's divorce and re-marriage, he became the adopted son of Henry Grady King. His childhood and university years were spent in Austin.
He grew up in a multilingual, multicultural household. His maternal grandfather, Edmund Ludwig, earned a degree in piano from the Royal Conservatory in Moscow. In Austin, Mr. Ludwig became a piano teacher while his wife Catherine, fluent in five languages, taught and tutored French, German, and Russian. This multilingual, musical environment deeply influenced the young Edmund King, who had a gift for language. He chose Spanish as his primary field of study and finished his Ph.D. in Spanish literature at the University of Texas at Austin. He then accepted a post at Southern Mississippi State College, where he taught Spanish and German and directed the Glee Club.
When World War II broke out, he enlisted in the U.S. Army and earned a commission as Second Lieutenant. Assigned to military intelligence and promoted to the rank of Major, he served in Europe from 1941 to 1945, interrogating German prisoners of war.
At the end of World War II, he returned to Austin to teach at the University of Texas.
Recruited to join the Princeton faculty in 1946, he was one of several scholars and students of Spanish drawn to the University by the Spanish historian Américo Castro, whose methodology anticipated by half a century the approach which came to be called New Historicism. Prof. King was charged by Castro to translate into English his masterwork, España en su historia, published as The Structure of Spanish History by Princeton University Press in 1954.
At Princeton, Prof. King became the first holder of the Walter S. Carpenter Jr. Professorship in the Language, Literature, and Civilizations of Spain.
In addition to his work as the translator of Américo Castro, Prof. King was a recognized authority on 19th-century Spanish literature. His book on the Spanish poet Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer, and his many short pieces on Spanish Romanticism, remain among the most respected writings on these subjects. He was one of the first scholars outside Spain to recognize the talent of Gabriel Miró, a stylist in 20th-century Spanish fiction. In the early 1950s, he traveled to Spain, befriended Miró's family, and began a study of Miró's work that would occupy him for the rest of his life. At the time of his death, he was preparing for publication his translations into English of Miró's two greatest novels, Our Father Saint Daniel and The Leper Bishop.
In 1951, he married Willard Fahrenkamp, whose career in Spanish letters led her to publish important studies of Golden Age Spanish literature. During the 1960s and '70s, Prof. and Mrs. King presided, respectively, over the Romance Languages Department at Princeton and the Spanish Department at Bryn Mawr College. After retirement in 1982, they lived for several years in Spain where each served as resident director for the International Institute in Madrid, continuing their research and writing. Among their many charitable activities, the couple bequeathed their personal library to Texas A&M International University in Laredo.
The Kings had no children. He is survived by several generations of students and by his caregivers of recent years, R. William Potter, Elizabeth Piccard, and Rodolfo Orozco in Princeton and Patricia and Ray Keck in Laredo.
A memorial service will be held at All Saints' Church in Princeton on Monday, January 9 at 11 a.m. Interment will be in the churchyard of All Saints' Church.
Margaret Slayback LaVigne, 81, a lifelong Princeton resident, died December 31.
She retired from Educational Testing Service after working at the company for many years.
She was a member of St. Andrews Church, the Princeton Historical Society, and Princeton Chapter 91 of the Order of the Eastern Star.
She loved gardening and her cats, and spent much time at her summer home in Seaside Park fishing and enjoying the beach.
She was widowed from her husband, Eugene J. LaVigne, and survived by her son, Warren G. LaVigne.
The funeral service will be this Thursday, January 5 at 1 p.m. at The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home, 40 Vandeventer Avenue. Friends may call Wednesday evening, January 4 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the funeral home.
A private graveside service will follow the funeral at Princeton Cemetery.
Return to Top | Go to Weddings/Engagements