April 4, 2012

To the Editor:

For the current hospital site, any building permitted by Borough Ordinance 2012-05, as introduced, will result in a megablock. Such a monolith is specifically disapproved by Borough Code Sec. 17A-193B.a.6.

The draft ordinance should be withdrawn now — either that, or the Planning Board must vote against it to prevent folly: the ruin of the hospital neighborhood, the historic character of Princeton, and the diversity of our newly consolidated community.

I have read the proposed ordinance in light of the Borough Code, and have examined plans proposed by AvalonBay. Did Borough Council members really write this ordinance, or did they take dictation from AvalonBay?

When Borough Code was rewritten some years ago, in contemplation of the hospital’s eventual (now imminent) move, virtually all phrasing aimed to get any new construction back down into scale with the neighborhood (one- and two-story houses — rarely three, as incorrectly stated in Sec. 17A-193B.c.1). The text allows for “up to” 280 housing units but also wants those units to blend with the neighborhood. Some of many samples: residential “uses” (plural) means a variety of building types, not an Avalon monolith (Sec. 17A-193B.a.2. New construction should “help soften” its own presence (17A-193B.a.4). People should be able to walk through the site (17A-193B.d.1). Site plans must show “how the public and residents will circulate in and through the site” (17A-193B.e.3) — currently impossible according to AvalonBay’s design.

The Council ordinance disregards all these stipulations and their specific intent. If a code is not written to be honored, then what is its use?

With the increased density bonus it would permit, it allows for a completely closed, gated community (AvalonBay’s standard format). A closed “community” should be anathema to Princetonians, and to our officials who have vaunted so highly the values of diversity. Where will the contradictions and “inconsistencies” of judgment stop?

And what of signage for this gated community? The ordinance permits AvalonBay to turn Witherspoon Street into our local Route One: a facade sign can be ten feet square (the writers of the ordinance did not think in three dimensions); a free-standing sign (also ten feet square) “shall” (not even “may”!) jut out into open space within five feet of the sidewalk.

I do not want my Princeton to look like this. I also want our hospital, which has achieved such outstanding regional excellence, to take some responsibility for its choice of buyers, even in this tricky market.

Borough Council members should have the good sense to withdraw the draft ordinance. Additions to residential housing stock can be gotten without selling out Princeton downstream.

Joe McGeady
John Street

Dan: “Matzo Ball Soup.”
Bryan: “Easter Bunny Chocolate.”
—Dan Gorman (left) and Bryan Hill, Princeton

“Ham, sweet potato casserole, pineapple swing bread, and hard boiled eggs.”
—Ellen and Scott Brown, Hamilton

Michael: “Lamb and roast potatoes.”
Kalina: “Eggs.”
—Michael Feeney and Kalina Misiolek, Princeton

Mihai: “Eggs.”
Ana: “Lamb.” —Mihai and Ana Tudor, California
(visiting relatives in Princeton)

“Lamb Soup.” —Alexandru Oancea, Princeton

Margaret: “Winterberry pie. My mother makes it every year for Easter.”
Ellen: “Lindt chocolate bunnies.”
—Ellen Whiteside (left) and Margaret Evered, Princeton

Princeton resident Frank Ryle has recently added “author” to his long list of credentials.

Civil engineer, project manager, teacher, pilot, scuba diver, surfer, single-figure golfer, top-flight tennis player — all these and more fill out his catalogue of accomplishments.

An enthusiastic traveler, Mr. Ryle has lived in and visited 50 countries, including a six-month stay in a kibbutz in Israel, four years in Russia, three in Papua, New Guinea, and one year in Australia.

A curiosity about people and places and a desire for adventure and new challenges has led him to explore a range of opportunities.

As an author, he has recently published Keeping Score: Project Management for the Pros, which deftly combines his love of golf and his project management expertise. His approach includes the nine holes of golf to teach the nine key steps to accomplish a project any time, anywhere successfully. It is a suitable guide both for professionals and those new to or struggling with project planning.

Desired Outcome

Planning has come naturally to Mr. Ryle. At an early age, he was combining a variety of projects and was able to achieve the desired outcome.

The second child of Maurice and Rita Ryle, he was born in Dalkey, Ireland, near Dublin in 1960. Siblings include Cathy, Philip, Jack, and Liz. When Frank was 11, the family moved to the seaside village of Tramore, also the site of a highly respected golf course and the nearby Waterford Crystal company.

The family was close, and Frank enjoyed fishing with his father, playing golf with his mother, and going on family vacations throughout Ireland. “It was a simple upbringing and a happy childhood,” he recalls.

Frank liked math and later, drama in high school. He washed cars and worked in a hotel to earn extra money, and he reports, “At the hotel, I was interested in the people who worked there. I wanted to understand them.”

From the time he began playing tennis at six, however, sports was his passion. “Both of my parents were very good tennis players, and at 12, I was playing tennis competitively all over Ireland.”

At 10, Frank took up golf, and became equally proficient in that sport. “We had sports idols then,” he says. “I especially looked up to Eamon Coughlin, at one time the world record holder in the mile. He was the fastest in the world.”

First Excursion

Tennis gave Frank his first excursion to another country and a taste for travel and faraway places.

“When I was 14 , we went to Paris for a tournament, and I loved it,” remembers Mr. Ryle. “By this time, I had a wanderlust. I wanted to see the world and have adventures.”

Before the adventures, however, college was a must. His good academic record enabled him to attend University College Dublin, where he studied civil engineering. It was a rigorous program, requiring many hours of demanding study.

“I made a lot of good friends, though, and we’re still in touch. We have class reunions in Ireland. I also admired my professors, especially Professor Sidebottom in chemistry. He was engaging and humorous — he had to be with a name like that!”

After graduating with a bachelor of engineering degree in 1981 (he was later made a Fellow of the Irish Engineering Institute in 1993), Frank went to work for Arup International, a global firm of designers, engineers, planners, and consultants.

“I got a job with them in London, and Sir Ove Arup, founder of the company, had a great influence on me. He was a philosopher as well as an engineer. He’d ask, ‘Why are you building this?’ ‘Who is it for?’”

Many Locations

During his 20 years with Arup, Mr. Ryle undertook projects in Hong Kong, Australia, Papua, New Guinea, Russia, Ireland, and the U.S., among many other locations.

In 1985, he moved to Australia for a year to work on Arup’s America’s Cup preparations in Perth and Sydney, which remains one of his favorite projects.

Over time, Mr. Ryle became increasingly interested in the project management aspect of his work. The “how to” of getting things done efficiently and effectively.

“With project management, you think in terms of ‘how to’, he explains. “How to bring in the project on time, how to do it with the resources, how will you get it done?

“I made a natural and gradual transition from pure engineering design to being the project manager on our projects,” he continues. “This was probably due to a matching of desire and aptitude. It happened from when I was 28 until I was 33, and then I became a full-time project manager, but still very much associated with construction-type projects.”

In 1994, a new adventure presented itself, one which would have far-reaching consequences for his future. He traveled to Russia to serve as Cadbury’s construction manager and first production manager for the company’s new chocolate factory in St. Petersburg. He lived there and in Moscow for four years.

Chance Meeting

The challenging project was exceeded in importance by Mr. Ryle’s chance meeting in 1996 with Vivian Slee, originally from Princeton. This meeting even outranked the enormous pleasure of playing in the first Russian Open golf tournament!

“Vivian had an MFA, and had been selling art in New York,” says Mr. Ryle. “She had come to Russia for eight months to work on a movie with friends.”

Some things don’t require a lot of planning — even for a project manager. As Mr. Ryle reports, “I met her in May, and in 10 days, we were engaged. Five months later, we were married in a castle on the west coast of Ireland.”

The couple spent another year in Russia, while the new Mrs. Ryle was engaged in research for a book, and Mr. Ryle continued with his work on the chocolate factory.

In 1998, the Ryles, with baby Oona, moved to the U.S., settling in Brooklyn Heights. Mr. Ryle became project manager for Arup’s $800 million remaster plan for the Eero Saarinen-designed General Motors Tech Center near Detroit, and for the design of JFK Airport’s International Terminal Four. In 1999, he earned his Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.

The next year, the Ryles came to Princeton, and in 2001, after 20 years with Arup, Mr. Ryle chose a new direction and a new challenge.

Understanding Wife

“I decided to start my own business due to a combination of factors: turning 40, the imminent arrival of our second daughter (Maisie), a desire to try something different and on my own, my dislike of commuting to New York, and a very understanding wife.”

He set up his own company, PMPulse, which developed software for project management. “We were the first to to do that,” he points out. “I have also worked with the International Institute for Learning (IIL) since 2001, when they bought the rights to the software that I had developed. We have a great relationship, and I have taught more than 10,000 students in 22 countries for them.”

Through his relationship with IIL, Mr. Ryle provides consulting and training to professionals in banking, IT, accounting, pharmaceuticals, and manufacturing. Companies include UBS, Ernst & Young, SAP, Murex, Deutsche Bank, Mars Inc., and Thomson Reuters, among others.

Teaching has become a distinct pleasure for Mr. Ryle, who says, “I love the interaction with people from many disciplines, cultures, and ages. My students range across all industries and from undergraduates to retiring age, from students to Ph.D.s, from the U.S. to all countries and cultures. I love helping them see that project management is complex but can be learned in a ‘simple’ way.”

He enjoys teaching so much, in fact, that he agreed to teach a course this semester at Princeton University. “Teaching at Princeton University is delightful, as the staff is amazingly friendly, and the students are above average in ability and willingness to learn new concepts.”

Mr. Ryle teaches mostly project management materials (program and portfolio management are part of project management), and as he says, “Recently, I have also focused on the soft skills required for successful projects — hence my passion for psychology and science. I also want to weave my thinking from the book into the classes, and will be developing one class on a golf course, perhaps Springdale, soon. I am also working with a professor in London to bring psychology to project management.”

Happy Choice

Living in Princeton has been a happy choice for Mr. Ryle, who became an American citizen in 2008. It offers opportunities in many areas, and after 12 years, it feels like home.

“I like a lot about Princeton,” he says. “I like the fact that it’s a real town, and you can walk to places. I like being in a university town. I also love the library — it’s very good architecture, by the way. And, I love the plaza outside and downtown Princeton. There’s a lot of energy here and a sense of identity.”

Another positive aspect of living in Princeton is the opportunity to be with his children. As he points out, “I left Arup because I wanted to spend more time with my daughters — my proudest achievement! It’s very important to me to see them growing up and being able to spend a lot of time with them.” He also enjoys the chance to see his in=laws, Louis and Biby Slee. “They are well known in Princeton and are wonderful grandparents to the girls.”

In addition to teaching at the University, Mr. Ryle enjoys auditing courses there, including anthropology and psychology. He is also looking forward to a course in philosophy.

Indeed a man of wide-ranging interests, he started the “Topic Club” eight years ago, which meets once a month to discuss a myriad of subjects, from Iran to humor to the Pyramids to the psychology of happiness to affordable housing.

“We have seven to 20 men who get together to discuss a topic,” he explains. “We meet at 8 and can go on until midnight. They are all professionals from different fields and backgrounds. It makes for fascinating conversation”

Constructive Facilitator

Mr. Ryle’s friend, Princeton resident Ted Nadeau is one of the participants in the club. “It’s pretty much like a book club,” he explains, “except there isn’t a book! Usually there is a presenter who has done some specific preparation.

“Frank is a very constructive facilitator, and easily gathered a group of diverse and interesting people together. I very much enjoy meeting and speaking with Frank. He has interesting world travel experiences and engineering/building experience that I’m interested in, and also of course, his professional management expertise.”

When not traveling, teaching, or writing a book, Mr. Ryle especially enjoys reading about science, including psychology. “I particularly like Matt Ridley, the best science writer, I believe. I like bringing science and the arts together, and I’m also getting into well-written fiction, such as Somerset Maugham, Steinbeck, Hemingway, and Herman Wouk.

“I like classical music, and I am learning to play the piano,” he continues. “And, when we can, we enjoy getting down to Long Beach Island. I grew up by the sea, and we like the ocean.”

The Ryles also have a house in Tramore, and often visit his family in Ireland.

Tennis and golf remain a part of his life, and he plays whenever possible in Princeton and also on his travels. In 1983, he qualified as a tennis coach, and taught part-time in Israel, Kenya, and Australia. His friend and fellow tennis player, Bobby Hackett of Princeton can vouch for Mr. Ryle’s tennis prowess.

“We play regularly, and Frank is a great tennis player. I have gotten better playing with him. But more than that, just being with Frank is fun. He’s very clever and very interested in what you are doing. One of the things I get from being with him is the international perspective. He has opportunities to blend people from different backgrounds, different countries, and different perspectives and get them to work together in this global society and economy.

“He sometimes helps me puzzle through some of my work just by asking interesting questions. He’s very smart, but very down-to-earth.”

Right Questions

The ability to ask the right questions to develop a plan and ultimately complete a project successfully is evidenced in Mr. Ryle’s book. He uses a narrative format with three fictional primary characters, who must come up with a plan to save a company facing a crisis. The story takes place in New Jersey and Cork, Ireland, and a golf course is prominently featured. As the scenario evolves, Mr. Ryle points out the methods they can employ to reach a positive outcome.

Use of the golf theme, with nine specific questions and a score card, is an intriguing strategy. Including characters within the story format adds a personal touch, and creates immediacy. The project management tips he reveals are helpful to anyone working on a project and trying to formulate a plan.

As he notes in the preface of the book, “My personal goal is that after reading this book, your own approach to projects becomes less of a maze and more of a labyrinth. A maze, like some project processes, is something in which you can easily waste time and get lost. A labyrinth, by contrast, is something in which you can lose yourself and therefore free your mind from the burden of project navigation to maintain the agility and creativity required in this exciting new world.”

On Wednesday, April 11, Mr. Ryle will discuss his book at the Princeton Public Library at 7 p.m. A book signing will follow, with proceeds from sales of the books going to help a Princeton family whose young daughter is suffering from ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease.

“I look forward to interaction with those who come to the book discussion,” says Mr. Ryle. “I hope it will lead to a lively conversation.”

March 28, 2012

“I found the paper back 1932 [Odyssey Press] edition of James Joyce’s Ulysses and assorted other books. And Sophie found books for her to read.”
—Doug Haeuber with daughter Sophie, Plainsboro

Sylvia: “Dorothy L. Sayers mysteries which are hard to find. I found a first edition, which is exciting. I also found a lot of sheet music.”
Joan: “I found a lot of music, Burt Bacharach and opera.”
—Sylvia Korman with Mother Joan Hsiao, Princeton

“I come every year.  Today I found history books and classics.”
—Mike Spaul, Mercerville

Susan: “I found this Civil War book. I’m a teacher, and it’s a wonderful, visual representation for teaching history. These are hard to find and expensive. I found this today for $2 as opposed to $75.”
Natalie: “I found a lot of good animal books and they’re really my style. I really love animals.”
—Susan Eustis and daughter Natalie, Pennington

“I like to read and found a lot of different fiction.”
—Wouter Rock, Princeton

“I’m a performing artist and when I’m through savoring the books I purchased today, biographies of those from the golden age of stage, screen and television from days gone by, they will join my collection of similar books donated to needy children hoping some day to have a life as an artist themselves.”
  —Rosemary Peters, Princeton

To the Editor:

So now we learn the truth — the consolidation wasn’t a merger, it was a takeover of the Township by the Borough.

If this weren’t one sided, both administrators and both police chiefs should have offered their resignations. Then the personnel committee could have made their decision in the open and shared with all residents their rationale.

Jim Pascale and Bob Buchanan have served our town with distinction for 30 years, but now they get 10 days to clean out their desks. During the first Battle of Princeton in 1777, the Americans lost a number of able officers: General Mercer, Colonel Haslet and several others. Who will be the next to fall in the 2012 version? In consolidation right now, the Township is clearly losing.

John F. Kelsey, III
Winfield Road

To the Editor:

The Princeton High School Boys/Girls Track and Field team thanks the community for its support of the 2nd annual Princeton 5K Race, held Sunday March 18. Special thanks goes to the Princeton Running Company for presenting the event, and to our sponsors Small World Coffee, IvyRehab, in8Graphics, Princeton Soccer Association, Buckley Theroux Kline & Petraske, LLC, Tiger Noodles, Gibbons Foot & Ankle Group, LLC, Twist, Mercer Bucks Orthopedics, the Cody family, the Whaley family, the Cavallaro family, the McIsaac family, the Monks Family, and USAF, and to all the individuals who supported the race with additional registration donations.

The race could not have been a success without the support from the Borough and Township Police Departments, the Borough Department of Public Works, Princeton First Aid Squad, and the Princeton School district. We also appreciate the residents who cheered while we ran past their homes on this fast and friendly neighborhood course.

The race was a successful fundraiser for the team and on behalf of the athletes we say “Thank You!”

Kathryn McIsaac, Julie Cavallaro,
Donna Dourney, Coach John Woodside
and Coach Jim Smirk

The Princeton 5K Race Committee, 

Princeton High School

To the Editor,

Borough Council (BC) recently voted to introduce an ordinance that would give a density bonus to “any developer” who builds on the almost “old” Princeton Hospital site. AvalonBay (AB), a national builder of residential complexes (the likely developer), has requested a density bonus of 44 rental units that are NOT fully subject to the standard 20 percent set-aside for affordable housing. The ordinance, if passed, would allow AB to bypass affordable housing in the bonus units (44, in addition to the 280 units allowed under current zoning) by making a per-unit payment to Princeton Borough’s Affordable Housing Trust.

The ordinance tramples historical commitments to diversity of opportunity in the Princeton housing market, which are here diluted by substitute provisions for “workforce housing.” While most Council members voted for the ordinance to “get the ball rolling,” AB has seemingly won the first round against a full commitment to affordable housing. What has Borough Council gotten in exchange for this variance-by-means-of-ordinance? Nothing. Why has BC initiated rezoning without getting a quid-pro-quo?

AB has submitted a preliminary/final site plan (unexpectedly bypassing the “concept plan” phase) that is incompatible with neighborhood needs and concerns: a four- or five-story monolith fronting residential streets that have one- or two-story houses — without any setbacks. Residents are upset and disturbed. Environmentally, the plan shrugs off Princeton’s push towards sustainability; we are proud of our Bronze certification from Sustainable Jersey. For example, the roof could have solar panels or gardens — the plan shows neither. Nothing indicates high-performance measures for energy-conservation.

AB has apparently agreed (in writing?) to comply with Energy Star standards (less stringent than LEED). But why should a company that vaunts its LEED-Silver headquarters on its website (for 13 pages under the “Sustainability” link: go look!) be permitted to do anything less than LEED-Silver in Princeton? The Princeton Regional Master Plan in its most recent revisions gives high priority to the following: diversity in Princeton, maintaining the integrity of neighborhoods, “continuing to provide Princeton’s ‘fair share of affordable housing,’” satisfaction of LEED requirements (strongly recommended by the Princeton Environmental Commission) — all of these issues are at stake in Ordinance 2012-05. Borough Council should honor the master plan, now.

And Borough Council and the Planning Board should insist that AB seek LEED-certification at the Silver level. They must reject Ordinance 2012-05 as written and restore full commitment to 20 percent affordable housing, along with major provisions for sustainable building. If “any developer” disappears because it can’t get everything for nothing, so be it. Consolidated Princeton is not a town impoverished in resources, networking, or reputation. Another builder will appear, and in short order. Princeton Hospital, which owns the land, will soon find another buyer; it has no stake in paying taxes on land it will not use after May 2012.

Jane Buttars
Dodds Lane

To the Editor:

In “Hoping that Consolidation Brings End to White Buffalo Deer Culling” (Town Topics March 12), Mr. Laznovsky makes the right arguments about the squandering of tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars on deer killing in the eleventh year of the so-called “management program,” and the invalid link between deer and Lyme disease.

With respect to the economic argument, it is hard to miss the connection between the anguished cries of the school board members and others (“Princetonians among those protesting Christie’s ‘Reverse Robin Hood Budget,” Town Topics March 14) on the one hand, about diminished resources for education, and on the other, money squandered for the extermination of deer. The specious argument made by Phyllis Marchand in 2002 that Princeton’s program “is bringing the township’s residents much needed relief from the deer” (New York Times, March 10, 2002) remains specious to this day. Princeton should put these taxpayer dollars not into the extermination of deer, but into needed investments to educate its children.

On one point I disagree with Mr. Laznovsky, however. It will take more than hope to effect change. Princeton’s own Einstein wrote: “Our task must be to free ourselves … by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.” The task of a consolidated Princeton is to end the ludicrous “deer cull” once and for all, by active citizen involvement through the democratic process.

Sheila M. MacRae
Orchid Court

March 21, 2012
NTU Doerler

LANDSCAPE LONGEVITY: “I enjoy meeting the clients. I’m a people person, and we meet all kinds of people. We have had many regular customers over the years. I’m working with people now who had worked with my dad years ago. They may be down-sizing now, and need a new landscape plan.” Steven J. Doerler, owner and president of Doerler Landscapes, is proud of his company’s reputation and longevity.

Building a reputation for high quality work and service over five decades is an outstanding achievement. So many businesses come and go so quickly these days that Doerler Landscapes’ 50 years in business is the exception not the rule today.

“People know they can count on us,” says owner and president Steven J. Doerler, a certified landscape architect. “For 50 years, they have seen our orange trucks in their neighborhood, and for that same 50 years, we have worked hard to be a leader in our industry and in our community.”

Doerler Landscapes has been recognized with numerous design and business awards, including “Landscape Award of Superior Excellence” from the New Jersey Nursery and Landscape Association; “Landscape Design Excellence” from the New Jersey Builders Association; “Conservator of the Year” from the Mercer County Soil Conservation Service; and “Community Excellence Award” from the Hamilton Area YMCA, to name just a few. The company was started in 1962 by Mr. Doerler’s father, William K. Doerler.

“My dad studied landscape architecture at Cornell, and then after working in a landscape company, he decided to set up his own business in Yardville. I started working in the nursery when I was 12. My dad put me to work!” says Mr. Doerler, with a smile. “I began working full-time in 1984, after I graduated from college.”

Landscape Projects

In 1986, the company moved to its current location at 5570 South Broad Street in Yardville. The property is a 175-acre farm, and serves as the base of operations for the landscaping and is also the home of Crosswicks Tree Farm, another part of the Doerler family business. The tree farm grows a variety of nursery stock for use in Doerler’s residential and commercial landscape projects.

Steven Doerler became owner and president in 2000, and he has reinforced and enhanced the company’s prominent place in the landscape business. Doerler Landscapes covers a complete range: landscape architecture, construction, maintenance, lighting, and irrigation services.

“We can design and install everything except swimming pools and tennis courts,” he explains. “Although we also do help with designs to locate pools. If someone is planning to build a pool, it’s a good idea to call a landscape architect and have them locate the pool in the proper setting.”

Plantings including trees, shrubs, and flowers; and hardscapes, such as patios, terraces, decks, etc., are a big part of Doerler’s business. “We advise clients on plantings and the best placement regarding sun or shade, those that are low-maintenance, and also specimens that deer don’t like. More people want low maintenance now. Fewer people seem to want to do hands-on gardening.”

Outdoor Entertaining

What is big, however, is outdoor entertaining — and with all the bells and whistles!

“Current trends are outdoor kitchens, outdoor fireplaces, and water gardens.” he reports. “Absolutely one of the biggest trends in the last 10 years has been the increase in outdoor kitchens.”

Some clients want a landscape geared for entertaining, and others are interested in a tranquil, serene garden setting. “Lots of people have bird feeders and bird baths, and I have put in butterfly gardens, perennial gardens, cutting gardens, vegetable gardens, grasses, and bat houses!

“Also popular today is the pondless waterfall. With this format, the water flows onto river stone, with just a few inches of water over the stones. This is nice because it is versatile, and can be placed in a small area, such as on a terrace or patio. People like to have water gardens, fountains, etc. because it is very relaxing.”

Mr. Doerler handles projects of all sizes, both residential and commercial, with many in Princeton. In addition, Doerler landscapes are seen all over the area and beyond, in Northern New Jersey, Bucks County, and at the shore.

“Our real specialty is residential work, although we do a lot of commercial projects, too, including landscape management and irrigation for corporations, such as Church & Dwight in Princeton.

Design Center

“We are a design center,” he continues. “First, we go to the site and get the homeowner’s or company’s ‘wish list’. Then I’ll put together a conceptual idea and plan. The client comes in to look at the design, and we can make immediate changes on the computer.”

Budget is a key factor, of course. “Budget drives the materials,” he notes. Projects can last for a couple of days to a couple of years. Very large jobs are often completed in phases because of budgeting requirements.

“Sometimes, clients may start with plantings for the front of the house; other times, if they want a pool, they’ll do that first, along with the patio. With our plantings, we strive to have something in bloom and colorful from early spring to late fall. In design, it’s a textured look, and can include varying shades of green.

“Flowering trees are always popular, and right now, everything is ready sooner this year because of the mild winter. We are very busy in March, April, and May, and we can be busy in the fall too. We work year-round.

“We have all kinds of projects, and I especially like working on older houses with quaint gardens. Of course, every project is unique. Our goal is always to enhance the home environment and to complement the architecture of the house. The landscape needs to match the architecture.”

The company also does repair and remodeling work for hardscapes as well as installing new ones. “We can also transplant or ‘repurpose’ plantings and even move plants from a current house to a new one. We often work on a client’s second home, such as a beach house.”

Finished Product

“This is very gratifying and fulfilling work, says Mr. Doerler, “and I like seeing the finished product, seeing the plan come to life.”

Doerler Landscapes’ concept of a family business extends to the employees, he adds. “They regularly attend professional development and continuing education courses, and we have in-house training. We have a strong internal culture based on team work and family. Many employees have been with us for a long time, 20 years and more.”

Mr. Doerler also believes strongly in giving back to the community, and he serves on several boards. Doerler Landscapes supports various charities and organizations. “I do in-kind service work, and we also established the Miracle League, and built a barrier-free baseball field in Yardville for disabled kids. We now have six teams in the league.”

Doerler Landscapes can be reached at (609) 585-7500. Website: www.doerler.com.

NTU insideout 3-14-12

ACTIVE ACHIEVEMENT: “I enjoy so many things about what I do. I really love helping people realize what they are capable of achieving. I look forward to continuing to learn and gain knowledge to empower myself to be the best trainer I can be, so I can help my clients reach their potential.” Maryalice Goldsmith, owner of InsideOut Fitness, is shown lifting a barbell.

Maryalice Goldsmith wears many hats. She is a certified personal trainer, Spin instructor, TRX trainer, and boxing fitness trainer. In addition, she has a degree in social work and is a nutrition specialist.

All of these areas of expertise come together in her role as founder and owner of InsideOut Fitness. Established in Kingston in 2008, the program offers one-on-one personal training, partner training, group-focused “boot camp,” boxing, and nutrition guidance.

A long-time advocate and practitioner of fitness, Ms. Goldsmith has completed several marathons and half-marathons, and a triathalon.

“Fitness has always been important to me,” she explains. “But it is not just physical. My concept of fitness includes nutrition, mind, and spirit, as well as physical conditioning. The name of my program, InsideOut, reflects that. If you are not OK on the inside, you won’t do as well. Nutrition is hugely important. In fact, I believe 70 to 80 percent of progress really depends on nutrition, and this is the big issue for many clients.”

Full Analysis

After an initial consultation, usually by phone, Ms. Goldsmith meets the client for a detailed assessment, including measurements, body fat evaluation, heart rate, etc.

“It’s a full analysis of the person, their current level of conditioning and fitness,” she explains. “I will also ask if they have any medical issues and what their goals are. With women, it is often to lose weight; with men, it’s to bulk up. I also ask about their nutrition and what they eat.”

Based on the results of the evaluation, Ms. Goldsmith creates a custom plan for the client, which includes specific nutrition guidance in addition to the physical workout.

“For example,” she points out, “if their body fat is too high, there can be a nutrition problem. The biggest problem I find is that people don’t eat enough! They’re often on the run and don’t have time for a balanced, healthy meal. Then, by 9 at night, they’re hungry, and can end up eating junk food.”

Interestingly, she adds, when one doesn’t eat enough, the body stores fat because the brain thinks there isn’t enough caloric intake. The body goes into starvation mode! So even with less food, one may not lose weight.

“I give people menu suggestions. I advise them to keep it simple, healthy, and nutritional. Try to make things ahead of time. Pick a day, perhaps Sunday, and make enough to have for a week. People can often be tired and stressed if they are not eating properly.”

Many Benefits

One-on-one workout sessions are an hour, and start with cardio warm-ups and stretching. It can then include weight-lifting, working with dumbbells, exercise balls, balance balls, TRX equipment, and various other exercise tools. It is geared to each client’s current fitness level and ability, and to his or her goal.

Boxing classes are held on Wednesday and Friday. There are many benefits to boxing, including strengthening the core, points out Ms. Goldsmith. “The core is so important. It is your main foundation.”

“Boot Camp” includes group activities for a minimum of six and maximum of 14 participants. “It is a total body conditioning class. It can be everything, including weights, TRX, and kickboxing,” Ms. Goldsmith explains.

Many clients participate in both one-on-one personal training and the boot camp classes.

Current clients range in age from 13 to 65, and many are committed to improving their overall fitness, she reports. Some come as often as five times a week, others three, and some twice a week. “You should try to come in at least twice a week to make real progress. With that commitment, you can see improvement within two weeks.”

During the course of the workout, conversation is a key element, she adds. In her role as social worker, Ms. Goldsmith is able to help people who may be struggling with underlying issues that are keeping them from reaching their fitness — and other — potentials.

Happy and Energetic

“My fitness approach includes conversation. How is the client doing and feeling? Sometimes, clients don’t have a sense of their own value and self-worth. I want them to know they are not just average, but that they have value and can achieve more than they think they can. They are happier and more energetic when they have accomplished something.

“Also, sometimes, if someone is very stressed out with all the pressures that exist today, I tell them that it is important for them to take at least 10 minutes off during the day, just for themselves.”

It often takes a while for clients to commit fully to the nutrition part of the InsideOut program, she adds. A client can progress by engaging only in the physical workout, but without the overall success that participating in a healthy diet, coupled with physical exercise, will bring.

As Yoshi Lassiter of Trenton, who has been a client for more than a year, and who is a member of the U.S. Army Reserves, notes, “The biggest benefit of Maryalice’s fitness program is education. She is a great motivator, and training is never boring or repetitive.

“It was getting harder for me to meet the requirements of my bi-annual Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT), and I am delighted to share that I have taken two APFTs under Maryalice’s tutelage, and the last one was the best I have had in my entire Reserve career. I felt so good!

“It gets even better,” continues Ms. Lassiter. “For the first 12 months, I had not changed my eating habits. On February 1 of this year, I decided to listen to her in terms of getting serious nutrition. Since I started following her guidance, I dropped seven pounds in less than three weeks, and the pounds are still off. Maryalice does not support anything that is not conducive to the entire well-being of her clients — not just physically, but emotionally, and even spiritually. The sessions have been so therapeutic.”

Adds Kathy Grmek of South Brunswick, a client of one year: “Maryalice has changed my life. I feel healthier and stronger than I have in years.”

Classes are available Monday through Friday, and three payment packages are offered. Installment payments are available. The more sessions taken, the more economical the plan.

Interactive Relationship

Establishing an interactive, communicative relationship with clients is very important to Ms. Goldsmith. Every week, she sends them emails, news of upcoming workouts, a tip of the week, and a recipe.

“As a personal trainer, fitness is a big part of my life.” she points out. “I work out six days a week. But it takes work and focus. I understand the challenge of trying to live healthy. We all face the same obstacles of lack of time, running a home, working, and simply enjoying food! It’s not easy to get those daily workouts in. But I also know that without them, I would be an entirely different person. Fitness has made me happier, more energetic, and grateful for the body God has given me.

“This is what I want to convey to my clients. Fitness is a commitment to the value of who you are, and it’s an important investment. I want them to know it has been such a privilege knowing them, working with them, and seeing them become all they can be. I am so happy when my clients make progress.”

Ms. Goldsmith can be reached at (732) 616-1853. Website: www.insideoutfitness.net.

NTU windrows

COMMUNITY LIVING: “Princeton Windrows is a real community. We have all read about the disintegration of communities today. At Windrows, there are different committees on which residents serve. There is strong encouragement for residents to offer their views, and there is an enormous number of activities and events. The location and service are excellent.” Princeton Windrows residents Russell and Patricia Marks are shown by their collection of Pre-Columbian Peruvian pottery.

It’s about choices.

At Princeton Windrows, the independent retirement community for people 55 and older, residents have many options. Life-style, type of dwelling, meal choices, participation in activities, attending events, pets (Windrows is very pet-friendly) — it is all up to the residents. They have complete control of how they wish to live within a worry-free, easy-living setting.

No more snow shoveling, leaf-raking, house-painting, house cleaning, etc. Instead — more time to focus on what is important at this point in one’s life.

Located on 35 acres at 2000 Windrow Drive, four miles from downtown Princeton, and adjacent to Princeton Forrestal Village, Princeton Windrows offers 294 homes — apartment-style condominiums in Windrows Hall, 1-story villas, and 2-story townhomes, individually-owned by the resident.

Windrows Concept

“I have been working here two and a half years, and I believe in the Windrows concept,” says marketing director Mary Ann Bond. “I had worked in the senior living field before, and Windrows is different. It’s unique, a 55-plus hybrid, a full-service community. Many of the 55-plus retirement communities don’t have the range of services and activities we have. Also, you can truly age in place here.”

Princeton Windrows is not an assisted living facility or a continuing care retirement community (CCRC). As its name suggests, the latter offers a range of health care services depending on the resident’s needs. Also, at a CCRC, residents do not own their own homes.

At Princeton Windrows, residents own real property, which they can choose to upgrade or sell at any time.

Princeton Windrows health care services, while not the complete care offered at a CCRC, include a wide range of services. Doctors and medical professionals hold regular hours at the Wellness Center. A registered nurse is on-site seven days a week; an internist, physiatrist, and psychologist come weekly; and an audiologist and podiatrist also have appointments on-site. The registered nurse is available to visit residents in their homes, if needed.

The Wellness Center offers services, such as blood pressure monitoring treatments, injections, and lab work (with doctor’s prescription), medication delivery from local pharmacies, and emergency 24-hour call response.

Programs, such as tai chi, balance, water aerobics, yoga, and strong bones classes, are designed as preventative options. Fitness trainers and massage therapists are available, as are health care education and disease-prevention programs.

Priority Access

In addition, the site of the new University Medical Center at Princeton is located just two miles from Windrows.

Should a resident’s health needs change, options are available to stay in place, notes Ms. Bond. “You can stay here and bring in help, such as a home health aid, or even hospice, if needed. We also have priority access to other care facilities in the area, if someone needs additional support elsewhere. If someone broke a hip or had a knee replacement, for example.”

Walks of Life

Residents at Windrows come from all walks of life and from many professions. A number still continue to work as well.

Retirees include CEOs, members of NYC Opera, NYC Ballet Orchestra, and American Symphony Orchestra, master gardeners, engineers, former president of NYU, a Broadway and TV actress, economists, scientists, clergy, missionaries, stock brokers, and publishers, among many others.

Windrows and the wider community offer many opportunities for involvement and continued learning, points out Ms. Bond. “Many people audit classes at Princeton University, and go to concerts and lectures there. They attend plays at McCarter Theater in Princeton, and go to the many events offered by Windrows, including to New York, Philadelphia, to museums, plays, operas, etc.

Book Club

“There are an enormous number of activities,” notes Russell Marks, “and many of them have been started by the residents themselves.”

“For example,” adds Mrs. Patricia Marks, “a group of women got together and wanted to read books, so we started a book club. Others wanted to organize a drawing club.”

Other residents wanted to continue their outside activities, add the Marks. “There are 17 members of the Old Guard, also the Present Day Club, and Beden’s Brook Country Club, and Springdale. This is a community within a community.”

Mrs. Marks, a published author, with a Ph.D. from Princeton University, is working on a second book on Peruvian history, and serves on the Council of the Friends of Princeton University Library.

Open House

An annual Open House is held each January for prospective residents and this year it also included an opportunity to see displays of items residents have collected over the years. Among the collections were the vintage keys of Bill Barger, which he accumulated from all over the world; the Marks’ Latin American collection; a unique display of owls in fine porcelain and crystal; also, antique bottles; and rare glassware.

Ms. Bond adds that Windrows offers two-day “Try Out Stays” for people who are interested in sampling the Windrows life-style at no charge. This can include the many amenities Princeton residents enjoy, including several different dining opportunities, from elegant to casual settings as well as take-out.

Many residents comment on the experienced and congenial staff, notes Ms. Bond. “The staff is outstanding — they are the most caring and friendly people. Many of them have been here 10 years. There is also always someone at the front desk 24/7 for security and if anyone needs help.”

Princeton Windrows offers studio apartments starting at $145,000 with monthly fees from $1,109 to $1,471. One bedroom apartments begin at $252,000, with fees from $1,281 to $1,997; two bedroom apartments start at $355,000, with fees from $1,698 to $2,235. Townhomes begin at $298,000, with fees from $2,700 to $3,320. Villas are priced from $392,000, with fees from $2,181 to $2,855.

For further information, call 609-520-3700. Website: www.princetonwind

NTU Cake it up 2-29-12

STANDS IN DEMAND: “A beautiful cake needs a beautiful stand to display it. The cake is showcased and enhanced by the stand.” Beth Carnevale, founder of Cake It Up, LLC, is shown by a grouping of her custom couture cake stands.

“Everyone is saying this is such a great idea, and thank goodness it’s here!”

Beth Carnevale, founder of Cake It Up, LLC, is delighted by the response to her new custom couture cake stand business.

“It all started with my daughter Nicolina’s wedding last August,” she explains. “I have always been very visual and have enjoyed decorating since I was a girl. For the wedding, we coordinated everything, and it was custom throughout — from table numbers and place cards for the reception to flowers to monograms for the ring bearer pillow.

“Then, I realized that there was no really nice cake stand for the wedding cake. It was a beautiful cake, and should be really beautifully displayed. I asked my husband Nick (Princeton architect Nicholas Carnevale) to build a box, and I bought couture ribbon and bridal satin, which I cut and ironed, to cover it. The box was made to architect’s specifications, and was very strong and solid. Everyone was so impressed with it — it blended beautifully with the cake.”

Creative Vision

Clearly, an idea whose time had come!

Ms. Carnevale’s creative vision and innovation has launched a new career for her. After the wedding, requests came in for boxes — one is displayed in the Chez Alice window in Palmer Square and another in Cramer’s Bakery in Yardley, Pa. — and she decided to explore this uncharted territory.

“I told Nick that I had to do this, and he has been very supportive. I launched it in FaceBook in January, and now have a website. We have already had responses from around the world, including Belgium and Italy, as well as close to home. I think this is really filling a need. The presentation of the cake is so important, and I don’t know of anyone else doing custom cake stands here.

“My design consultant, Laura Bair, is my right hand, and we are very busy going to bridal shows and other events. In fact, I am so busy, I am looking for an intern to help out!”

The boxes, which can become keepsakes, vary in size and style, with most, typically 18 inches by 18 inches. They are covered with different fabrics, such as satin, raw silk, moiré, and basket-weave cotton/linen. Grosgrain ribbon, rosettes, bows, and jewelry, especially brooches, are all used for trim and accent. All the high quality materials can be monogrammed, including the exquisite embroidery, for further customizing.

“Gray and taupe are very popular colors for weddings now, and also blush and ivory,” points out Ms. Carnevale. “We can do whatever color the bride wants. I always ask if she has a special theme, and then, we can carry that theme and style through with the cake stand.”

Elegant Bow

She has a series of sample stands available for customers to view in her studio and on FaceBook and her website. They vary considerably in style, including the sophisticated black and white “High Society”; the signature “Aisle Collection” in ivory moiré or bridal blush with rosettes; “Sweetheart” in pale pink with rhinestone heart accent; and “Chanelesque” in ivory with creamy ribbon and elegant bow, among many other choices.

Ms. Carnevale points out that the cake stands are not limited to wedding cakes. “They are very versatile, and can be for special anniversaries, birthdays, showers, bar/bat mitzvahs, graduations, Mother’s Day, etc. The stands can also become keepsake and memory boxes, and I have made presentation boxes for the place cards and table numbers at wedding receptions.”

Another example of her design skill includes a series of charmingly customized wedding ring/cake plate keepsakes, which she does in collaboration with ceramic artist Nancy Pirone-Tamasi.

“Icing It Up”

In addition to the variety of brooches and other jewelry used as trim for the boxes, Ms. Carnevale is offering “Icing It Up”, a line of jewelry, including bracelets, pins, earrings, necklaces, and accessories. She has also designed her own collection of one-of-a-kind large simulated gemstone and rhinestone rings, very reasonably priced at $25.

Cake stands begin at $125 for a 12-inch by 12-inch model, and Ms. Carnevale suggests three weeks notice for a custom design. A 10 percent discount is available for stands already in stock. A large bridal satin box, encrusted with rhinestones, is available to rent.

“This is such a happy thing,” she says, with a smile. “I love working with the brides, and it’s another way for them to express their own style. I feel I have taken everything I have done in my life, including so much of the design sense I’ve gotten from Nick, and it has all come together.

“It has really all come out of love. My daughter Nicolina was the inspiration, and now, it is my passion!”

Ms. Carnevale is available by appointment. (609) 216-7677. Website:www.cakeit

To the Editor:

The Princeton Borough Council’s decision at its February 28 meeting approving the request by the developer AvalonBay to increase the density of the Hospital site was given in spite of the strong opposition to the developer’s petition expressed by several Princeton community organizations and individual residents and, before receiving impact reports on traffic, waste disposal, water usage and various other municipality services from the developer.

Borough Council members chose to ignore the arguments presented against approving the petition to rezone the site. With the notable exception of Jenny Crumiller, the Council was more interested in facilitating the implementation of AvalonBay’s business plan than in the passing of legislation for the benefit the neighbors and the town.

As elected officials, Council members should examine the arguments of the people they represent, while ensuring that existing legislation, such as the amendments introduced to the Master Plan in 2007 requiring that all new and remodeled buildings use sustainable building designs, are upheld.

Antonio Reinero
Carnahan Place

To the Editor:

I am dismayed that the Borough Council decided to introduce an ordinance:

(1) permitting additional density on the hospital site without understanding the impacts to a consolidated Princeton

(2) while simultaneously considering reducing the percentage of affordable housing and

(3) failing to incorporate requirements for green building.

The 280 units on five acres (56 units/acre) permitted by the current MRRO zoning, is denser than any residential site in Princeton. By way of comparison, the adjacent neighborhood bordered by Valley Road, Witherspoon, Wiggins and Moore Streets currently has approximately the same number of units but is nearly 80 acres larger resulting in 3.5 units/acre. One of the goals of The Land Use Element of the master plan is to “preserve and protect the character of established neighborhoods”. While I believe that compact development reduces costs and environmental impact over spread out development, this must be balanced with an abrupt change in character. It seems to me to be a backward way of doing things to introduce such an ordinance change before reviewing impact reports on traffic, sewage, water use, landfill garbage, human services, recreational services, police and fire services, and schools.

A roof over your head is basic for survival. It is typically the largest household expense and the single most important for determining cost of living, yet it continues to be out of reach for many in Princeton where the median cost of a home is $619,700 in comparison to $359,800 in New Jersey and $185,400 nationally. Homes that a variety of people can afford bring diversity to our town. It is essential that the requirement for 20 percent affordable units not be diluted.

Like the rest of the world, we in Princeton are faced with climate change due to non sustainable development practices. It is therefore imperative that we evaluate all new development through this lens. The Princeton Environmental Commission issued a memorandum calling for the hospital site to be “redeveloped in accordance with a standardized green building rating system resulting in certification.” In 2005, the master plan was amended to recommend that the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) system should be used as a design and measurement tool to determine what constitutes sustainable building principles and practices. Furthermore, in 2007 the master plan was revised to “include a goal that all new and remodeled buildings and facilities use sustainable building designs”. I call on the Planning Board and members of Borough Council to uphold the goals of our master plan.

At its February 28 meeting Borough Council members seemed not to hear the citizens of Princeton who ardently voiced opposition to this proposed ordinance change. This site has yet to be developed under the MRRO zoning even once. Other individuals or developers that purchase a property knowing the zoning are not given the opportunity to change the ordinance. I cannot see affording the hospital site differential treatment unless there is an overwhelming benefit to the neighborhood and town.

Heidi Fichtenbaum
Carnahan Place

To the Editor:

With gratitude, the Bryn Mawr-Wellesley Book Sale salutes the Princeton Community. When Hurricane Irene did serious water damage to our book supply, we put out a plea for more volumes — and you responded with, well, a flood. Great books, beautiful books, amazing books — 1,844 boxes of books. They are waiting for you at the Princeton Day School beginning Wednesday, March 21 through Sunday March 25. Please come, buy, and accept our thanks in person for your generosity. The proceeds from the sale go to support scholarship funds at our colleges, which means that your donations literally change lives.

Bryn Mawr-Wellesley 
Book Sale Committee

To the Editor:

We, the co-founders of Pi Day Princeton and Geek Freak Weekend, wish to express our sincerest gratitude to everyone who helped make this year’s festivities a huge success. Our goal from the beginning was to create a community-wide celebration that would bring together Princeton residents, non-profit organizations, academic institutions, and businesses to celebrate math, science, and Einstein. And we are happy to report that the success of the weekend has gone beyond our wildest, hopes, dreams, and expectations. To everyone who volunteered their time, and to everyone who participated in the weekend — we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for coming together to make Princeton a one-of-a-kind place to live, work, and play!

The 2012 Geek Freak weekend saw the largest crowd to date with over 6,000 people who packed into the Princeton Public Library for the Pi Day events. Each event was standing room only and we were thrilled to have more contestants participate than ever. Pi Day Princeton is indeed here to stay, and we are thrilled that our 2012 underwriters MacLean Agency, Princeton Regional Chamber, and Coordinated Wealth Management all renewed for next year so we will be able to promote even more for 2013.

Again, thanks to everyone who came to downtown Princeton on Saturday either as an observer or a participant, a sponsor or a volunteer. You helped make 2012 Pi Day Princeton and Geek Freak Weekend one to remember.

Mimi Omiecinski
Nassau Street
Joy Chen
Chambers Street

To the Editor:

Do you believe, as I do, that ever-increasing Princeton property taxes and elected officials pursuing their own agendas are negatively impacting the quality of life in Princeton? Have you concluded that one-party municipal government is unlikely to result in outcomes to the benefit of all Princeton residents? If so, please join local Republicans and make your voice heard. A dose of political diversity would be an effective antidote to what ails Princeton. Silence is acquiescence and a guarantee that things will never change here.

A primary election on June 5 and the general election in November will choose a mayor and six Council members who will govern the newly consolidated Princeton municipality. The Princeton Republican Committee welcomes expressions of interest from potential candidates for mayor and council as well as membership in the new Princeton Republican Committee which will be chosen from each of the 22 new voting districts in Princeton in the June primary. The primary election filing deadline is April 2. We also welcome volunteers who want to help in getting out the vote and supporting local Republican candidates.

For more information or an explanation of the process, please feel free to contact Dudley Sipprelle, Chairman, Princeton Republican Committee, tel. 609-497-0740, email: princetongop@yahoo.com.

Dudley Sipprelle 
Chairman, Princeton Republican Committee

To the Editor:

The Democratic Party has ten people who have expressed interest in serving on the new council in 2013. Of those that are running some have previously served on one of the governing bodies and would bring important continuity and institutional knowledge to the new council.

However, I believe that the governing body will also benefit from having some new yet highly qualified members who would offer a fresh perspective for our new community and would not be encumbered in their decision making by having served on one governing body or the other in the past.

To that end, I urge Princeton Community Democratic Organization (PCDO) members and Democrats to consider the candidacies from the three new faces that we will see on March 25 at the PCDO endorsement meeting and March 26 at the municipal democratic committee meeting:

Tamera Matteo – Tamera is a 15-year resident who brings the unique perspective of having been a local, downtown business owner. She’s been the PTO President for the John Witherspoon Middle School and also serves on the Corner House Foundation board among others. Tamera understands the needs of the downtown and what it takes to provide a thriving ‘buy-local’ experience for our residents.

Scott Sillars – Scott is a 14-year resident who has served as the chair of the Township’s Citizens’ Finance Advisory Commission (CFAC). He also serves as the Vice-Chair of the Transition Task Force. His work on the CFAC has contributed to the Township’s ability to have two consecutive zero-increase budgets and his active role during the transition this year will prepare him well for the new council.

Patrick Simon – A management consultant, Pat is an 11-year resident who has demonstrated strong financial acumen while serving for the last 18 months on the Joint Shared Services and Consolidation Commission (JSSCC). While on the JSCCC, Pat also served on the Finance subcommittee. His clear thinking and analytical abilities will be critical for the new council and his ability to clearly explain complex financial data will be an asset for the community.

Please consider supporting these highly qualified new candidates for the new Princeton Council. It is my hope that we have some new faces on the council and Tamera, Scott and Pat will bring strong and complementary skills to the Princeton governing body. They have my support.

Chad Goerner
Princeton Township

To the Editor:

In Princeton, we have the opportunity to select the individual who will best lead our entire community toward a new, unified Princeton. We have the opportunity to choose a leader who will work tirelessly with the new Council and who has a vision and a plan to address the many challenges facing our community.

As an architect and a builder, a community planner and activist, a business owner and a professional, an artist and organizer, a team leader and a team player, and as someone who has lived in both the Borough and Township, I have demonstrated the skills, dedication, perseverance, and aptitude necessary for this new leadership position in Princeton.

I have a plan for New Princeton and if elected, these are ten points that I will make fundamental to my efforts as Mayor:

Control Spending: No tax increases, as Borough has done for the past 4 years.

Public Safety: Merge police departments while improving street patrols and safety.

Preserve the Fire Department: Maintain an all-volunteer force.

A Strong Downtown: Promote economic development and improve our streetscapes.

Community Planning: Planning by the people, instead of for the people.

Academic Institutions: Engage our academic partners early and often with candor and transparency.

Affordable Housing: Develop housing at multiple levels of income distribution.

Aging in Place: Promote a transportation infrastructure for senior mobility.

Parks and Open Space: Improve open space management and create Princeton Parks Department.

Youth Services: Provide high-quality programs for our community’s youth.

I have the experience to work with both existing municipal staffs to effectively accomplish our merger. Working as the Princeton Township building inspector for three years in the early 1990s I developed strong positive relationships with Township staff. Working with Borough staff as an elected official since 2008, I constantly strive to improve the delivery of our services to our constituents and business interests.

I am qualified and committed to be your mayor. I look forward to meeting you on the campaign trail this spring – please visit my website to find a calendar of events. www.kevinwilkes.com.

Kevin Wilkes
Prospect Avenue

“My favorite part is the way you can help people and the environment.” —Ana Rodriguez, Lawrenceville

Sarah: “Going on the camping trips and getting badges.”
Anushka: “Having fun with friends at different events and how we earn badges.”
—Sarah Staggs (left) and Anushka Bhatia, Princeton

Ashley: “It’s really fun to get all types of new badges and go to all kinds of places.”
Raina: “Going to the amusement parks.”
—Ashley Charles (left) and Raina Williamson, Princeton

Hadley: “The activities that we do. And I also like that I’m with my friends from my old school and my new school.
Madeleine: “I like the activities.”
—Hadley Maltisch (left) and Madeleine Emeric, Princeton

Devon: “The challenges that Girl Scouts push you toward that you wouldn’t do on a daily basis.”
Ann: “Being with my friends that I have known since kindergarten.”
—Devon Kueny (left) and Ann Gaylord, Ewing

Odette: “We’re all like family together.”
Nevin: “Selling cookies and going to cool events like this today.” —Odette Biache (left) and Nevin Gammage, Ewing

Jada: “My friends, the activities, going to new places and learning things about history.”
Catherine: “Hanging out with friends, it’s like family to me.”
Mary Catherine: “You get to meet new people and get to do really fun things and go to really cool events.”
—Jada Morton–Salley (left), Catherine Strubel (middle), and Mary Catherine Shea, Ewing

March 14, 2012
NTU Karyn Bristol

FINDING THE WAY: “I see clients of all ages who are dealing with anxiety, depression, sexuality issues, family problems, etc. My goal is to help the person explore what it is they really want. It is not always easy to know that.” Karyn Bristol, LCSW, practices in Princeton.

It’s an intense world today.

Texting, tweeting, e-mailing — everyone is wired up, geared up, and constantly connected. The technology is so all-pervasive that one has to make a determined effort to turn off and “un-connect.”

The benefit of high tech notwithstanding, it is also a stress-producer. The sheer speed of life today does not allow for much reflective thought, let alone down-time or relaxation. The temptations of the smartphone, iPod, iPad (and whatever is coming next!) are often so addictive that many people feel uneasy without these “tools”.

Even the youngest among us are affected by the high tech world. In fact, it is really all they know, points out licensed social worker Karyn Bristol. “The kids can’t turn off the hallways of school when they come home,” she notes.

Difficult Times

Helping people navigate through difficult times, whether due to anxiety, depression, sexuality issues, or marital problems, is the focus of Ms. Bristol’s work.

While specializing in anxiety issues and adolescents, she does see clients of all ages, including children as young as five. As a licensed social worker, she helps clients deal with a range of issues from bullying in school, to marital problems, to the  loss of a job in today’s challenging economy.

In addition to her own practice, one day a week, she works with Princeton gynecologist, Dr. Maria Sophocles. “I will see clients who may be in emotional distress,” explains Ms. Bristol, who opened her practice at 20 Nassau Street in May 2011.

“It is very important to make the person feel comfortable and safe, whatever their age,” she points out. “I am a ‘comfortable stranger’, someone they can talk to in complete confidence.”

Ms. Bristol was always interested in helping people, she adds. A good listener, she was there to help friends with their problems, and this was true during her eight-year career in public relations in Manhattan.

“I enjoyed that time in New York,” she reports, “but then I felt I wanted something different, and I went back to school, to Boston College, and got a master’s degree in social work.”

She then spent one year in a community mental health clinic, working with all age groups. She also spent a year as a therapist in a school for troubled boys, and 10 years as a school counselor in a private boarding school.

Counseling Service

Ms. Bristol later worked two years in another community mental health clinic, which also served as the counseling service for Babson College near Boston. During this time, she opened a private practice, working with children as young as five, adolescents, adults, and couples.

“To become a licensed social worker, one must work in the field for a certain number of years, and then pass an exam,” she explains. Achieving that goal, Ms. Bristol was able to move forward in her practice.

“Being a good therapist is not just about listening,” she points out. “We’re working on a problem together through discussion and planning. Each session is completely tailored to the individual. My work is challenging and rewarding in so many ways. I find something new every time I sit with a client. I can gain a new perspective, and the client may also have an interesting and different way of dealing with their problems. Also, people are more resilient than they often realize.”

Ms. Bristol finds interest and satisfaction in treating all ages and offers approaches suitable to each age.

Worries and Feelings

“With a 10-year-old, I’ll begin by telling them about myself,” she explains. “That I’m a person who can help them with their worries and feelings, and that I want to help people feel better. We can also use very concrete strategies if a kid is stressed about school. For example, we may create our own board game as a strategy to determine how they feel and how they can come up with ways to handle the situation. I can also make a book with the child, or we’ll write a song together or use their iPod as a means to address the problem.

“If it’s a case of bullying — being bullied or doing the bullying — we’ll try to look at the reason. Why is someone doing the bullying? Has he or she been bullied themselves? If the child or teen is the object of bullying, we’ll try to find ways to work on their self-confidence and inner strength. Bullying is definitely an issue for kids today.

“In the case of an adolescent, I’ll usually start by asking what’s on their minds. They generally speak right out about it. ‘My parents are driving me crazy!,’ etc.

If some are more reticent, Ms. Bristol tries to find ways to draw them out. We may start by talking about their friends, interests, what they like. Safer subjects. Sometimes, I’ll also suggest that they keep a journal — it’s a good way to get their thoughts out and is very private.”

Helping clients discover new ways of dealing with situations can be an important part of the process, she adds. “I think with many problems, people are still trying to use solutions they used a long time ago, but are not helpful now. They need to find new ways to handle it. We tend to look at the ways we tried to solve something in the past, but that is not serving us now. We need more self-awareness.”

Ms. Bristol typically sees clients for 50 minutes (it can be less for children) once a week. How long the therapy continues can vary, depending on the individual situation. “If it’s an immediate problem, such as a divorce or lost job, or out-of-control child, we can work to address that particular issue and perhaps get to the bottom of it relatively quickly.

“On the other hand, it may also be good to explore the underlying issues, and that can take longer. It’s self-exploration with the goal of self-knowledge and self-reliance.”

It may take a month, six months, a year or more, she says. “It varies so much from individual to individual. It depends on what the person is looking to do and to accomplish.”

Ms. Bristol also points out that, even in our stress-laden society, some stress is healthy. “It gets you moving. It’s bad when it starts to impact you negatively and interfere with your life. It can cause a number of physical problems, including loss of sleep.”

Exercise can be helpful, she notes. It’s good for one generally, of course, and a good way to control anxiety. “Even a 10-minute walk can be helpful. And it’s also important to take some time for yourself — to do something you enjoy, or just some quiet time.”

Ms. Bristol is very happy in her chosen profession. Helping to make a positive impact on someone’s life is greatly important to her. “I feel so lucky when I am sitting down with someone, and I think ‘I love what I’m doing!’ In my work, I look forward to helping people to grow, to change and to feel better. I feel people are amazingly interesting, and I love to learn about them.”

Ms. Bristol sees clients Monday, Thursday, and Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday and Wednesday until 7 p.m. (508) 561-5536.

NTU Luxaby

KIDS’ CORNER: “This is a happy place. People love to come in — kids, moms, and grandmothers. They all find a fun atmosphere, and I also will soon be setting up a children’s reading corner.” Molly Vernon, owner of Luxaby Baby & Child, is shown with a copy of her newly published book, “Luxaby Lily”. (Photo by Thea Creative)

Luxaby Baby & Child is a Princeton success story. Opened in 2009, it has become a favorite of mothers looking for high quality, age-appropriate apparel for their children.

“My philosophy is that I want kids to be kids,” explains owner and Princeton native Molly Vernon. “All the clothes are age-appropriate. The kids don’t dress like little adults, and I think this sets us apart.”

Everyone is very happy about that, she adds. “The kids, parents, and grandparents — they all love the clothes.”

The idea for the store, which offers clothes for newborns to age 10, began with a series of trunk shows that Ms. Vernon held at her home. “Friends were interested, and I also had a website and an on-line business. I really felt there was a need for this type of children’s clothing — timeless, classic, and well-made.”

More Space

“I always had thought I would like to open a store, and this has been such a pleasure. I am so happy to get to do something that I love.”

And that is so successful! The popularity of the store continues to grow as more customers discover the appealing selection. In fact, Luxaby Baby just moved to larger quarters at 19 Hulfish Street to accommodate the need for more space.

“I have added the Isabella Oliver line of maternity clothes and a fitting room,” says Ms. Vernon. “People had been asking for maternity clothes, and we will have everything, from dressy to casual.

“In addition, with the added space, I am planning to have a children’s reading corner, so they will have something to do when they come in with their mom.”

Mothers love the store because of the high quality, often irresistible, clothes for boys and girls. Of course, the place is a treasure trove for grandmothers!

“Grandmothers are my favorite customers,” says Ms. Vernon, smiling.

Spring Line

The Luxaby spring line is now available, and navy is the hot color both for boys and girls, reports Ms. Vernon. “We have navy blazers for boys, and the nautical look is very popular, including tops with navy and white stripes. There are navy and white dresses with big ruffled bows at the shoulder for an accent. Girls love this.

“Pink is still the color girls love best,” she adds, “and we have pink raincoats for them, as well as many other items in pink. A big best seller for boys is the Petit Bateau yellow raincoat, with blue and white striped lining.”

Merchandise at the shop includes both American and imported lines. Baby CZ, Petit Bateau, and Rachel Riley, among many others, are very popular.

Natural fabrics, including cotton, are emphasized, and Ms. Vernon points out that “I do try to buy items that can be machine-washed.”

Adorable dresses for little girls are in assorted colors and styles, and prove irresistible to grandmothers! The one-piece shortalls for boys, ages three months to 24 months, are also very popular.

Sweaters, skirts, shorts, and jackets are all offered, as is the fun “Black Squirrel” line of T-shirts, and hats. Pajamas from Petit Bateau and the organic line of New Jammies are available for both boys and girls.

Custom Design

Items for newborns and babies include everything — layettes, receiving blankets, hooded towels, adorable onesies, bibs, booties, and burp cloths.

“We also have custom design blankets,” says Ms. Vernon. “I choose the fabrics, and then the blankets are made for us in Louisiana. In addition, everything in the store — clothes, gifts, layettes — can be monogrammed. It’s done locally by Toggle Home Monogramming & Design.”

Organic baby soaps and lotions are available from Noodle & Boo, and the same company also offers a line for mothers.

Piggy banks and selected toys are on hand, including the adorable line of Angel Dear “Blankies”. Buttery-soft tiny blankets with little animal accents are suitable for infants and up. A companion line of Angel Dear soft rattles is also on display.

Ms. Vernon attends shows in New York to see what is available and to keep track of trends. “I try to figure out the new trends, and I now have a sense of what my clientele likes, and the price range. It is very important that the clothes I offer are high quality and well-made, and that they will last. That way they can be passed on to other children in the family. This kind of recycling is very significant.

“I love everything about the store,” she adds. “My first favorite part is choosing the items, and the second is opening the packages when they arrive. It’s like Christmas!”

Luxaby Lily

The mother of two small daughters, Ms. Vernon is very busy balancing family and the store. “I think the challenge for moms who work is making sure you enjoy and make the most of every moment where you are.”

In addition to meeting this challenge, Ms. Vernon has found time to write a children’s book, which was recently published. “Luxaby Lily” is the story of a charming 5-year-old fairy, living in the fairy town of Luxaby. It is based on bedtime stories Ms. Vernon told to her oldest daughter, when the little girl was two.

“In the story, the fairy is shy and insecure, and afraid she can’t do things as well as others,” explains Ms. Vernon. “She learns that she is able to do whatever she wants, and that the magic is within her. The book is concerned about children’s self-esteem. I want children to feel good about themselves. It helped my little girl see that she could do things and not be afraid.”

The book, which is wonderfully illustrated by Rachel Styner (who is also manager of Luxaby Baby), is appropriate for ages K-5, and is available at the store and online.

Luxaby Baby has a very busy online business, and sends items all over, including California, Montreal, and London. The store itself is a flourishing operation, where customers rarely leave empty-handed.

“We have so many wonderful regular customers, who are amazingly loyal,” says Ms. Vernon. “I want everyone to know I look forward to the shop being here a long time. I am here to stay!”

Luxaby Baby is open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Thursday and Friday until 8:30; Sunday noon to 5. (609) 921-0065. Website: luxabybaby.com.

To the Editor:

I am running for Princeton Council because I am very concerned about this moment in our town’s history. It is essential that we seize the opportunity to set off on the right fiscal path and create effective government while preserving and enhancing services that Princeton residents have come to expect.

My recent experience as chair of the Township’s Citizens Finance Advisory Committee combined with a successful background in corporate financial management make me uniquely qualified to understand the complexities and meet the challenges as we transition to one Princeton. I will promote robust financial management and transparency to enhance decision making, budgeting, and long-term capital planning.

As Princeton residents, we value our diverse community and unique resources. Our world-class library, human services, open spaces, and a vibrant downtown are at the heart of who we are and why we choose to live here. As Vice Chair of the Joint Borough/Township Transition Task Force, I have been working to achieve the contemplated savings identified in the Consolidation Commission’s report, and on the Council I will demand a balanced approach between fiscal discipline and preserving a high quality of community for our citizens.

I look forward to strengthening relations with Princeton University and our other world-class institutions. The lines of communication need to be open and frank as we wrestle with issues of development and growth.

I have lived in Princeton for 14 years, 9 years in the Borough and 5 in the Township, and look forward to a bright future as we transition to one Princeton.

Scott Sillars
Battle Road

To the Editor: 

As a parent, I have a responsibility to do all that I can to protect my children. When I sponsored the state’s first anti-bullying law in 2002, I did so for the same reason. It is the most basic duty that I share with parents across the state of New Jersey. And when the opportunity arose to act once again in 2010, I sponsored the Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights, a law that transcends party lines and brought Democrats and Republicans together for the sake of our children. The physical and emotional well-being of New Jersey’s young people depends on that sort of progress.

Ensuring the welfare of our kids is not a choice. When it comes to drugs and alcohol, obscenity, child abuse, and a whole host of other dangers to our young people, no one is looking the other way. Cases of harassment, intimidation, and bullying in our schools should be no different.

The Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights is more than just words; it is a promise to every child in the state of New Jersey. It is a declaration that we will not condone harassment, nor will we be bystanders in the presence of intimidation. For so many school children across the state, it is a lifeline. The bipartisan enactment of this law was symbolic: right knows no party or ideology. The fact of the matter is that, for a student who fears going to class each day due to harassment or the possibility of physical harm, party labels have no significance.

The state of New Jersey has set an example for generations to come in its commitment to stand up for justice and equality for all people. And if there is any single legacy for which our Legislature may be remembered, I would hope it would be its adherence to these principles.

Educating our kids means giving them all the tools they need to succeed, from simple things like pens and notebooks to the more complicated peace of mind that comes with knowing that every adult in the state of New Jersey stands with them against bullying. We owe it to these children to deliver.

Barbara Buono
Senator 118th Legislative District

To the Editor:

The Princeton Borough Shade Tree Commission (PBSTC) would like to recognize and thank Polly Burlingham for her many years of service to this community through her involvement in the PBSTC. Many people may recognize Polly from her annual post at the Communiversity PBSTC Tent, where over the years she helped to hand out thousands of tree saplings to help celebrate Arbor Day, while also taking every opportunity to educate both the young and old on the proper care of Princeton trees. But behind the scenes is where Polly’s leadership as a commission member, and in recent years as the PBSTC chair, has impacted her fellow commission members and the community the most. Under Polly’s leadership the PBSTC has been awarded more than $10,000 in grants by the State Forestry Division, enabling this commission to write and act upon our state mandated second Five-year Forestry Plan. With her guidance we have met many of those initiatives, including the creation of the recently approved Borough tree ordinance and the development and inventorying of a tree database, which we use to monitor Princeton Borough tree diversity, condition, and plantings. Our new web-site www.pbshadetree.org has also been created under Polly’s watch, full of information on Borough trees, as well as information on educational programs for the public, such as the recent PBSTC tree walks. We wish Polly well as she steps down from her active role in this commission to pursue new and exciting interests with other very lucky local community organizations.

The Princeton Borough
Shade Tree Commission
Sharon Ainsworth, Welmoet Bok van Kammen,
Patricia Hyatt, Alexander Radbil, Marie Rickman,
Jenny Crumiller, Council Liaison