May 26, 2021

To the Editor:

My name is Maya Wahrman, and I am currently a Masters of Social Work student at Rutgers University, working full time at Interfaith-RISE in refugee resettlement and serving families and individuals living in Princeton, Trenton, and across central and south Jersey. I moved to Princeton nine years ago as an undergraduate at the University, and after graduating I worked for two years at the University’s Office of Religious Life in interfaith programming, focusing on immigration justice.

I came to know the town of Princeton as a community that I wanted to contribute to and see flourish. I volunteered at Princeton High School mentoring unaccompanied minors in the ELL class and with local refugee families. I moved into direct client service and worked for a year at the Latin American Legal Defense and Education Fund in Trenton (LALDEF) as a bilingual client advocate and case manager in partnership with a Trenton middle school. As an active member of Princeton Mutual Aid and a social worker I see the immense possibilities in Princeton and Mercer County for support of our vulnerable neighbors and the growing immigrant and Latino communities in our town.

I have had the great fortune of knowing Eve Niedergang my whole life, as our families have been close friends since before I was born. When I moved to Princeton Eve always hosted me graciously for dinner, drove me to appointments, and helped me with whatever I needed. I saw Eve’s commitment to Princeton, her knowledge and care toward all the different layers of our community. She has always showed me and everyone in my circle immense generosity and kindness of spirit, paired with a nuanced thoughtful approach to politics, from her own neighborhood to the federal level and beyond.  more

To the Editor:

At my advanced age, many may have expected that I would not be here to write this. Neither do I know, after taking every imaginable precaution, how I caught COVID pneumonia. Now that I’m returning to full health, I believe that it was Penn Medicine Princeton Medical Center, its doctors and staff, that saved me. I am evermore convinced of how fortunate we are here in Princeton to have such professional, caring, and dedicated medical professionals.

My gratitude extends beyond my stay at our local hospital. After I was discharged, I continued receiving excellent care at home including visits from a physical therapist, a home aide, and a registered nurse. And so I continue getting better.

The entire medical team with their outstanding skills, dedicated professionalism, and deep kindness have pulled me through this. For that I would like to publicly thank them all.

Carolyn Leeuwenburgh
Jefferson Road

To the Editor:

The current proposal for selling parking spaces on our residential streets in order to add bike lanes to a major artery is a disaster. We urge Council to turn down this plan. Both components of the plan — bicycle lanes on a major road, and the sale of parking spaces on residential streets — will have catastrophic and far-reaching results.

Hamilton/Wiggins/Paul Robeson is a major artery in town that runs parallel to Nassau Street and serves as a connecting link to major highways in our county, our state, and beyond. It is misguided to think that this major crosstown artery is wide enough to accommodate bicycles as well as the heavy traffic and trucks that use this road on a normal traffic day. Bicycles are not meant to be part of a major network of heavily traveled highways. 

Where are the traffic surveys that led to this plan? Consider this: during the past 15+ months of the COVID pandemic, traffic was anything but normal, much lighter, almost non-existent. Schools were closed and most office employees worked at home. No one was commuting to work! This will change as schools and businesses open again. Summer traffic is also light, with schools closed and people out of town, so any traffic surveys taken during the past 15+ months and including this summer must be incorrect. This is not the time to make major changes to any roads or traffic patterns. more

To the Editor:

Let me second Terry Lyons’ letter of May 19 on the vitality of the Princeton Shopping Center (PSC). All retail areas have suffered during the COVID pandemic including downtown Nassau Street. This general retail downturn is not a reason to hand massive tax breaks (PILOTS) to would-be developers of the PSC who could well turn it into another failed Forrestal Village, or Route 1 strip mall.

The Sustainable Princeton Fair of April 24 was a vivid example of how valuable the PSC courtyard is as a community resource. Another example is the Blue Bears restaurant that is dedicated to providing a place of dignity to work for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Nomad’s saw a business opportunity in the PSC and opened a new pizza restaurant without any PILOTs. The New York Sports Club (NYSC) at the PSC was thriving but closed on the day of the Governor Murphy’s COVID order, contrary to the claim of “multiple vacancies well before COVID” in the Preliminary Investigation Report by Carlos Rodrigues. I know because I was a regular NYSC member who suddenly could not enter the club that day.

McCaffrey’s, Ace Hardware, Walgreens, and many other PSC stores well serve the community. The loss in property taxes from PILOTS would necessarily increase in taxes on Princeton residents. Far from being “obsolete,” the PSC is an essential community resource that should be preserved as is. 

Charles Skinner
Western Way

May 19, 2021

To the Editor:

Our elected officials have been working hard to figure out how to “solve” Princeton’s parking “problem,” specifically targeting the downtown labor force, as well as the high school students, faculty, and administrators.

The current thinking seems to be to manage the existing on-street parking supply around the downtown and the high school differently, with various types of paid permits, and to have the whole thing managed by a private, for profit vendor.

Why anyone would think that it is a good idea to provide more student parking is beyond me. So the entitled little darlings can spend another 15 minutes in bed, before tearing down our neighborhood streets in their late model Audis and BMWs? I don’t think so.

There is a stronger case to be made with respect to the school staff and downtown workers. And better managing the existing supply of on-street parking is certainly a superior alternative to building new parking lots. But it misses the point. more

To the Editor:

Summer concerts, community fairs, outdoor dining, easy access, plantings in bloom, places to stroll and relax — we can enjoy all these at the Princeton Shopping Center. Its courtyard is a lively contrast to more modern malls.

But the consultant who reported on the need for redevelopment (“Council Approves Recommendation for Shopping Center Area Development,” May 5, page 8) says the courtyard is under-utilized and contributes to the center’s obsolescence.

What’s your opinion? Let the town Council and candidates know your view.

Terry Lyons
Deer Path

May 12, 2021

BEST BUILDINGS:“At Lasley Brahaney Architecture + Construction, we have the experience to bring your ideas to life. Our goal is to create a place that is yours, in everyway possible — whether it’s a new home, a large renovation, or a small addition,” says architect and owner Marc Brahaney. Shown are three award-winning projects: an exterior renovation in Princeton; the tub room (soaking tub spa) of a primary suite addition in Princeton, which also includes dual bathrooms; and a beach house in Mantoloking, bottom, which replaced the original structure destroyed by Hurricane Sandy. (Photos by Tom Grimes).

By Jean Stratton

Lasley Brahaney creates new beginnings and makes dreams come true!

This award-winning company, located at 860 State Road, opened in 1992, and has been a Princeton mainstay ever since.

Architect and owner Marc Brahaney founded the firm with his late wife, Janet Lasley, who was a builder. The two combined their skills, establishing a firm which earned widespread recognition for excellence in the field.

A Princeton University graduate, who also earned an architectural degree from the University, Marc Brahaney decided to settle in Princeton, and worked with architectural companies in the area before establishing his own firm.

Design/Build

Lasley Brahaney Architecture + Construction focuses on residential projects and is noted for its high quality workmanship, attention to detail, and superior customer service.

It is also a design-build firm, with the architects, designers, and builders all under one roof. This is particularly beneficial to clients, explains Brahaney.

“Working in combination, we are an efficient team for clients. It enhances communication, and clients can count on predictability. I see myself as a common denominator. I am involved from the beginning to the end. more

To the Editor:

Phyllis Marchand — our mother/wife — thrived on interacting with the people of Princeton in her roles as an elected official, as a community volunteer, and as a friend. Watching her interactions for the past five decades has taught us that you can never say “thank you” enough. The “thank yous” we have said in person and in letters seem to have barely scratched the surface of our gratitude. Today we want to publicly reiterate our thanks to the many friends, colleagues, acquaintances, and strangers who have comforted us with notes, donations, and expressions of love, concern, and invaluable remembrances/anecdotes about her. We wish we could mention all of you by name, but you know who you are.  

We especially want to express our appreciation to the Princeton First Aid and Rescue Squad and the Princeton Police Department whose responsiveness, professionalism, and sensitivity to Phyllis was exceptional.  We were also touched by the team of Phyllis’ close friends who organized with care and efficiency the warm tribute to Phyllis — a street corner salute and expression of thanks — as her funeral procession turned onto Wiggins Street in its approach to the Princeton Cemetery.

Our family is planning to celebrate Phyllis’s life at a future time. It will also be a celebration of the members of the Princeton community who inspired her from the very first day we became part of this exceptional town.

Sy, Michael, Deborah, and Sarah Marchand
Montadale Drive

To the Editor:

Yes, it is that time of year again — the June 8 Democratic primary is quickly approaching.  As co-chair (Kathy) and communications director (Nick) of Eve Niedergang’s campaign, we urge you to vote to re-elect Eve to Princeton Council. Eve is finishing up her first term on Council this year, during which she has worked tirelessly to fairly represent our community. We think she deserves another term.

Why are we such fans of Eve? Council membership takes a lot of work, and the past year has been a challenging year for our town. Princeton Council is lucky to have Eve as a strong, unbiased, hardworking member who is devoted to serving to all our citizens. Her door is always open. On any particular issue, Eve actively solicits input from interested groups, listens to those voices, and makes a fair, transparent, and conscientious decision. She is knowledgeable yet knows when to seek out expert advice.  more

May 5, 2021

DISTINCTIVE DINING: “We are set apart by our overall approach and ability to achieve a special refinement. We emphasize quality and a unique and exciting ambiance.” Ben Sanford and his wife Katie, owners of BORO Market | Restaurant | Bar in Pennington, look forward to introducing more customers to their intriguing new restaurant and market. Shown is the elegant main dining room and bar.

By Jean Stratton

Something special is waiting for you at 147 West Delaware Avenue in Pennington!

Visitors to BORO Market | Restaurant | Bar will find an exciting dining experience in an intriguing setting, unlike anything else in the area.

Opened last December, it is the product of both the experience and imagination of owners and husband and wife team, Ben and Katie Sanford.

“My wife and I have been in the restaurant business for more than 40 years combined between us, including in Robbinsville, Bordentown, Charleston, S.C., and Pennington,” explains Ben Sanford. “We’ve had Cugino’s Italian Market in Pennington for years, including at this location for the past five years. Having our own restaurant has always been our dream.” more

To the Editor:

The Princeton University Art Museum and various commercial property owners have given us a wonderful gift of really well-produced images from the museum’s rich and diverse collection. That is no small effort and is a great bridge for the economic changes in the retail sector (beginning before the pandemic) and the construction period during which the museum will be closed.

The museum is such a great local asset. I hope everyone takes a moment and looks around at the installations on Palmer Square and the Princeton Shopping Center. 

David Schure
Stockton Street

To the Editor:

As a retired member of the U.S. Foreign Service, I was proud to represent America in three countries over my 20 years of service. I write this in advance of Foreign Service Day on May 7, a day designated by Congress to honor our active-duty and retired members of the Foreign Service.

The past year of devastation and uncertainty has been difficult for everyone. This includes members of our Foreign Service who have remained on the front lines throughout the pandemic, working to bring more than 100,000 Americans home safely and continuing to protect and serve America’s interests abroad.

Diplomacy, development and security is the Foreign Service’s first line of defense, neutralizing issues before they become threats to Americans. This year has demonstrated the need for increased global engagement and the importance of U.S. global leadership.

Linda Sipprelle
Victoria Mews

To the Editor:

How lucky we are to have two great candidates running for Princeton Council this election cycle. We have the incumbent, Councilwoman Eve Niedergang, who has shown us how caring she is about many important topics. I know that Councilwoman Niedergang provided the residents of this great town the opportunity to see her work and help the community through many difficult issues. After serving 15 years as an elected Princeton Councilman, I know the many hours you must be able to provide the town. It takes time, energy and perseverance to become a strong and accepted Councilperson.

It is my pleasure to introduce to some of the residents of Princeton our future Councilman, Leighton Newlin. I have known Leighton for over 40 years; and I respect him and his decision making skills. We are going through very serious times with our elected leaders in this country. Just look around and see the questionable and non-caring behavior exhibited by so many elected officials. This will change with Leighton Newlin in office. The caring and support for everyone will begin on Leighton’s first day in office. Leighton has served  as chairperson of Princeton Housing Authority for over 20 years. Leighton has been serving the Witherspoon-Jackson community for many years; and his help with the historic designation for the Witherspoon-Jackson neighborhood was simply amazing.  more

To the Editor:

I want to take a moment to share my experience as the small business owner of Gratitude Yoga in downtown Princeton. From the outset of the COVID-19 pandemic our loyal following has supported us throughout our shift to a user-friendly, cost effective virtual studio.

We want to thank all of our clients who have stayed with us and the many people who have encouraged us as we navigated this unprecedented time.  We are so grateful to all of you. We hope to continue to offer yoga and meditation in a warm and uplifting atmosphere, and to flourish as a compassionate yoga community in this ever-changing landscape.

Gemma Farrell
Owner, Gratitude Yoga
Spring Street

To the Editor:

We, Community Park School parents, would like to extend our heartfelt gratitude to everyone who purchased a Princeton Perks discount card over the past months. Back in December 2020, a CP parent had the bright idea to create the Princeton Perks card, which entitles holders to special deals at some 80 local restaurants, shops, and services throughout 2021, to help fill a fundraising gap felt by parent teacher organizations everywhere this year. We hoped to also drum up traffic for many of our favorite establishments. Thanks to you, nearly 1,500 Perks cards are now in circulation around town, and the parent teacher organizations of Princeton’s public and charter schools raised a combined $17,500. 

While the idea may have germinated at CP, it was a collaborative effort from the start. We could not have launched the card without the help of parents from Littlebrook, Riverside, and Johnson Park elementaries. And we’re equally indebted to parents at Princeton Charter School, Princeton Unified Middle School, and Princeton High School, who added their energy and ideas as the program expanded. It was a true delight to work together and we hope this is just the start of a new era of cooperation among our schools. more

April 28, 2021

TABLEAU OF TREES: “We sell a lot of high quality specimen trees — all kinds: native, exotic, evergreen, shade, flowering, and all sizes. We also install large trees — 25 feet. In addition, we ship trees all over the east coast. Customers know they can count on our high quality specimen material.” Douglas W. Kale (left) owner and president of Kale’s Nursery & Landscape Service, Inc., is shown with his son Scott as they prepare trees for delivery to new owners.

By Jean Stratton

Magnolia, cherry, pear, dogwood, azalea, forsythia, lilac! Do you have a favorite?

Whatever it is, Kale’s Nursery & Landscape Service, Inc. is sure to have it. Along with all the hydrangeas, rhododendrons, roses, pansies, tulips, geraniums, daffodils, lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, basil, thyme, and rosemary — everything that makes your garden an ongoing pleasure!

This longtime favorite independent family garden and landscape center is celebrating its 65th anniversary. At a time when family businesses are far less prevalent than in the past, this is a proud and welcome achievement.

Founded in 1956 by Herbert Kale, it still remains at its original location, 133 Carter Road. It began as a landscape contracting and design business, explains Douglas W. Kale, current owner and president, and son of Herbert Kale.

Hometown Boy

A hometown boy, born in Princeton Hospital, Douglas Kale knew he always wanted to continue the family business, offering quality products and helpful, knowledgeable service. As a boy, he worked in the nursery on weekends and in the summer, learning about the operation. After graduating from Rutgers University with a degree in horticulture, he joined the company full-time.

“When Dad retired, I expanded the business into retail in 1977,” he recalls. “Many of our customers had been asking to buy plants and trees. Landscaping is still a big part of the business and in order to give customers the best quality, we grow many of our trees, shrubs, and plants. We grow most of our ornamental trees, and some evergreens.” more

To the Editor:

In addition to the noise from blowers and mowers, in our neighborhood we have the problem of truck traffic—big, heavy trucks struggling up or screaming down Elm Road from morning to night. There is a highway two blocks away (route 206), but this village street is regularly crowded with huge trucks: moving vans, dump trucks, construction vehicles. There are no weight restrictions, so the largest vehicles available can legally drive on the road, flattening and fracturing the blacktop. There is no engine braking law, so heavy trucks coming down the hill can legally sound like the outbreak of WWIII. There are always young children and older citizens nearby; a heavy truck driving mishap here could be catastrophic.

Two actions are needed. One, the town should do everything possible to restrict truck traffic on Elm Road: set weight limits, outlaw engine breaking, post signage prohibiting overweight truck traffic and directing such traffic to more appropriate streets.

Second, Quiet Princeton should acknowledge traffic noise as part of the noise problem they are working to resolve. It is not a one neighborhood problem; a larger Quiet Princeton effort will find support from many neighborhoods in Princeton.

We can have a quiet Princeton if we work at it.

Paul Cruser
Westerly Road

To the Editor:

What a perfect time of year this is to celebrate the beauty and the importance of our life-sustaining Earth!

Newly greened trees, the songs of birds, colorful flowers that make us smile, and the rejuvenation of farm fields – all of these miracles create new hope.

This Earth Day, I find myself reflecting on the legacy of people who have cared for our Earth. For it’s in the little things we do every day, the causes we support, and the choices we make in how we live our lives, that we become integral to the Earth’s stewardship. more

To the Editor:

Re: “Planning Board to Consider Redevelopment Study” (Town Topics, April 21, front page): this article notes that Princeton Shopping Center’s (PSC) owner has selected developer AvalonBay for redevelopment including housing bordering PSC at the Clearview Avenue neighborhood.

AvalonBay’s history of fires is disturbing. This month a large fire at their Princeton Junction apartments caused 22 people in 7 families to lose their homes. This is the company’s fourth known fire in New Jersey; its most serious fire, in January 2015 in Edgewater, which received large media coverage, caused 500 people to lose their homes. In addition, AvalonBay’s large under-construction housing in the year 2000 at the Edgewater site led to the destruction of nine nearby occupied homes, and its Maplewood housing under construction in 2017 also went up in flames.

The use of large, light frame (some call “stick”) highly combustible wood multi-unit construction allows fires to spread quickly. Even if there are no deaths, the loss of one’s home is tragic to residents and costly to municipalities. more

April 21, 2021

By Donald Gilpin

James Demetriades

James Demetriades, who became CEO of Penn Medicine Princeton Health (PMPH) on March 1, is leading the growing medical center through the second year of a pandemic and into a future of transformations that he continues to pilot.

In an April 13 phone interview, he noted that he and PMPH learned many lessons over the past year as they confronted the unpredictable onslaught of COVID-19. Demetriades, however, in his 18th year at the hospital, already had plenty of experience in observing and participating in dramatic transformations. His role has grown and changed along with the medical center’s growth and change over the years.

Though he feels some nostalgia for the days of the old Princeton Medical Center on Witherspoon Street, before the move to Route 1 in Plainsboro in 2012, Demetriades emphasized the importance of the growth.

“I loved being in the center of town,” he said. “I certainly miss being able to stroll up Witherspoon Street to Nassau Street. But we’ve built a health campus that spans across an individual’s life cycle, from the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia specialty office building to the hospital, which is the anchor tenant of our campus. We have sickness and wellness services, independent living, skilled nursing, assisted living and memory care, childhood and adult daycare.”

He continued, “Over the past 10 plus years we’ve created an integrated campus that, once complete, will represent a $1.5 billion asset to the residents of central New Jersey. Add to that our large behavioral health continuum with our 110-bed behavioral health hospital on Herrontown Road and another six outpatient facilities throughout the state.” He pointed out the limitations of the Witherspoon hospital location with demand and technology increasing rapidly and no space for expansion in town.  more

CREATIVE CUISINE: “‘Cooking With Class’ is  one of our signature programs available to residents at all Brandywine Living communities,” explains Holly Ballarotto, chief of staff of Brandywine Living, headquartered in Mount Laurel. “The classes take place several times a month, and are led by the communities’ professionally-trained chefs.” Shown are residents enjoying a special culinary class guided by one of the expert chefs.

By Jean Stratton

Living Life to the fullest in a secure and vibrant setting is the goal of residents at Brandywine Living at Princeton, says Executive Director Sharon Moore.

“I have the honor and privilege to serve seniors every day. It’s the opportunity to impact someone’s day in some way, sharing kind words and exchanging warm smiles. Personal connections with our residents is an integral part of my day. We take pride in making a real difference in our residents’ lives. My passion is helping our residents live their best life.”

Brandywine Living at Princeton opened in 2011 at 155 Raymond Road, and offers many opportunities for residents to be as active and engaged as they wish, while at the same time providing a complete range of health care, medical supervision, physical therapy and more.

Brandywine at Princeton is one of 32 Brandywine Living communities in the Northeast, and one of two in Princeton. As a leading provider of quality care for older adults, Brandywine offers assisted living, including nurses on-site 24 hours a day, as well as a special “Reflections” program for patients with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementia conditions. It also provides short-term respite care. more

To the Editor:

The toddler playground on the Guyot Walk is extremely popular. It’s used daily, year-round. Although on school property, with donated plastic play equipment, no one claims responsibility for its upkeep. Local residents periodically prune bushes and remove dead branches from the Walk, but improving the play area is a different task.

Although a Princeton Future poll has confirmed it as a favorite refuge for all residents, no part of the Guyot Walk is on the list of Town Parks (princetonnj.gov/Facilities). Nor does it belong to FOPOS, which protects only “non-active” spaces: not kids biking to schools, seniors walking dogs, alone or with each other; or parents guiding strollers.

What used to be called the Parks and Recreation Department is now just the Recreation Department, focused on competitive sports. Princeton has no parks commissioner. The current move seems to be toward a commissioner of open space, but what about mere parks? more

To the Editor:

The Princeton Environmental Commission (PEC) would like to express sincere appreciation to the volunteers who rolled up their sleeves and reached into the muck to support Princeton’s Stream Cleanup, which was held at Grover Park on Saturday, April 17. The stream cleanup was in partnership with The Watershed Institute and organized by Erin Stretz, assistant director of science and stewardship.

There were approximately 90 volunteers registered and an estimated 1,694 lbs. of trash and recyclables collected for proper disposal. The cleanup would not have been complete without the Public Works Department, which is directed by Dan Van Mater, who ensured the fruition of a neat and tidy cleanup after the volunteers’ efforts were exhausted.

We are always delighted to witness extensive community involvement when it comes to the care of our local environment, and for Mother Earth as a whole. Mayor Mark Freda even rolled up his sleeves, and may have carried out the most weight given his find of several cinder blocks gathered on the stream banks. Councilwoman Eve Niedergang was wearing two hats in support of the cleanup as she was checking-in volunteers as a Watershed Institute employee.

The Watershed Institute Executive Director Jim Waltman, Board members Scott Sillars (chair) and Mike Hornsby, as well as long time Watershed Institute volunteer Mary Joan Gaynor, WWF-Princeton High School group, Hopewell Valley’s Central High School group, TCNJ engineering  fraternity Theta Tau, and three girl scout troops were among those supporting Princeton’s stream cleanup at Grover Park this year.  more

To the Editor:

As we in Princeton observe the 51st anniversary of Earth Day this week, the issue of climate change continues to be an existential threat to our global environment. And New Jerseyans should be especially concerned about the warming trend because, according to experts (such as Rutgers University climate scientist Anthony Broccoli, and David Robinson the N.J. state climatologist), our state is one of the two fastest-warming in the Lower 48.

Relating this alarming but abstract fact to our local lived experience, I wondered: when was the last time it was safe to ice skate outdoors in Princeton on natural ice? We remember some lovely winters past, when the town turned out to glide long distances on Lake Carnegie. But — despite all that snow this winter — it turns out that our most recent opportunity to skate on the lake was six years ago. In an April 7 post, the Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment at Princeton University featured a study project by undergraduate Grace Liu, investigating the question, “Is Lake Carnegie Showing a Climate Trend?” The conclusion: yes. With impressively thorough original research (including in the archives of Town Topics) Liu, working with advisors at the High Meadows Environmental Institute, found a clear historic pattern of decreasing ice on our local lake, as the average winter temperature in N.J. has gradually risen.

Here is a tangible local effect of climate change in our town. What can we do politically to mitigate this unwelcome trend? Fortunately, the current presidential administration is planning to take action on climate change in many ways. And all of these strategies can be bolstered by adding in one most effective measure: placing a fee on carbon that is collected and returned to households. This pricing clearly signals to the market that fossil fuel burning must decrease, while the rebate protects individual consumers against rising energy costs. There is now a bill in the House of Representatives to accomplish this: the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act, H.R. 2307, which has 41 cosponsors already — including two NJ Representatives. I’m grateful to our Congresswoman Bonnie Watson Coleman for having co-sponsored its predecessor bill in the last Congress, and hope that she will soon re-join these colleagues to co-sponsor the current Energy Innovation bill.

Carbon pricing is popular, as is outdoor ice skating, so let’s support both!

Caroline (Callie) Hancock
Volunteer, Citizens’ Climate Lobby, Princeton Chapter
Laurel Road

To the Editor:

The three Democratic candidates running for New Jersey Assembly in Legislative District 16 will meet in a virtual forum on Thursday, May 6 at 7:30 p.m. To view the webinar live, register at TheMontyNews.com. Questions for the candidates may be emailed to the League of Women Voters at lwvprinceton@gmail.com by April 30. A recording of the forum will be posted at VOTE411.org and at lwvprinceton.org and will be rebroadcast by Princeton Community TV. See lwvprinceton.org for up-to-date information and broadcast times.

The deadline to register for the June 8 Primary Election is May 18. Voters may apply for a Mail-In Ballot by mail up to seven days prior to the election. Please note: citizens who are on parole or probation may now vote, but they must register or re-register if they had registered before incarceration.

The League of Women Voters encourages civic engagement. Board (poll) workers are needed for the Primary Election and for the General Election, when early voting will require many more board workers. Students aged 16-17 may work half-days if their parents and school give permission. Shifts are 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 1 to 8:15 p.m., with a 30-minute break and compensation of $100. Students aged 18 and adults registered to vote may work half-days 5:15a.m. to 1 p.m. and 1 to 8:15 p.m. at $100 with no break or full days at $200 with an hour break. Contact your county board of elections for an application. Students should ask whether a special student application is required.

Chrystal Schivell
League of Women Voters of the Princeton Area
Monroe Lane