March 13, 2013

To the Editor:

Do you believe that ever-increasing property taxes and elected officials pursuing their own agendas are negatively impacting our quality of life in Princeton? Are you tired of never ending litigation and costly taxpayer financed settlements? Have you concluded that one-party municipal government is unlikely to result in outcomes to the benefit of all Princeton residents?

Local Republicans offer much needed diversity of thought and experience. Princeton voters increasingly agree that Republicans could bring fresh perspective to muddled local governance. This is evidenced by the fact that Republican candidates for mayor in the past two years received 40 percent of the vote — four times the number of registered Princeton Republicans.

The June 4 primary and the November general election will choose two Princeton Council members who will help govern our newly consolidated community. The Princeton Republican Committee welcomes expressions of interest from potential candidates. You could be on the ballot as the running mate of popular Governor Christie! The primary filing deadline is April 1. We also welcome volunteers who want to help in getting out the vote and actively support Republican candidates.

For more information or an explanation of the election process, please contact me at

Dudley Sipprelle

Chairman Princeton Republican Committee

March 6, 2013
NEW YEAR, NEW LOOK: “We offer very personalized service. Clients are never rushed. Everything is customized. We have different products and treatments for all skin conditions, and all different colors in nail polish.” Eva Korzeniowski (center), owner of EVA Nail & Skin Care Studio, is shown with nail technicians Izabela Gromek and Agnieszka Ciesla.

NEW YEAR, NEW LOOK: “We offer very personalized service. Clients are never rushed. Everything is customized. We have different products and treatments for all skin conditions, and all different colors in nail polish.” Eva Korzeniowski (center), owner of EVA Nail & Skin Care Studio, is shown with nail technicians Izabela Gromek and Agnieszka Ciesla.

Face the future with a facial from Eva!

Indeed, EVA Nail & Skin Care Studio offers a variety of facials, massages, manicures, pedicures, and waxing for clients, including women and men of every age.

Owner and aesthetician Eva Korzeniowski recently reopened her studio at 227 Washington Road in Princeton Junction. She owns another studio in the Princeton Arms Center, 2025 Old Trenton Road in West Windsor.

Eva trained as an aesthetician in Poland, working with dermatologists, before emigrating first to Canada and then to the U.S. more than 25 years ago.

Quality Treatments

Always an essential in Europe, skin care has become more important in the United States in recent years, reports Eva. She worked with other cosmetologists in the Princeton area before opening her own studio, which focuses on the most up-to-date quality treatments and products.

“For example,” she points out, “for our pedicures, we use a disposable insert, so the procedure is very hygienic. This is a new apparatus, and you can’t be too careful about safe hygiene.”

The hour-long pedicures include soaking, exfoliation, foot massage, and polish, adds Eva. Clients often come once a month for pedicures, once a week for manicures, which include a hand massage. Square cut nails are more popular than ovals these days, and artificial nails are definitely in demand.

“We have acrylic, gel, and Shellac from CND — Creative Nail Design,” notes Eva. “In the case of Shellac, we cover the natural nail with the Shellac — a colored gel — and it is ‘cured’ with a special lamp. There are many colors available.”

Many girls and women like polish in a variety of colors, not just red or pink. “The different colors, such as dark brown, blue, green, purple, etc., began coming in about 15 years ago,” reports Eva. “Right now, light and dark gray are the most popular.”

Also, it’s never too late. As she says, “We have a customer, an 80-year-old lady, who came in, and had her nails painted green for St. Patrick’s Day!” Some of our nail technicians are artists. They can paint little designs on the nails, such as snowmen, etc., for the holidays and other special occasions.”

French Tips

French tips, which feature white nail tips, are another favorite for many clients. In addition, says Eva, “Some people just want their nails to be buffed. The main thing we want is for our clients’ nails to be healthy.”

Waxing is another important service at the studio, with brow, lip, and bikini the most popular treatments, as well as legs.

In addition, facials and massages account for a large part of Eva’s business. “We have individual facials for every skin type,” notes Eva “Not only are facials beneficial for the skin, they are soothing and provide clients with an hour and a half of relaxation. We have two types of cleansing, then peeling, steaming, antiseptic treatment, extraction, massage with moisturizing cream, mask, and finishing cream.

“We offer deep exfoliation, which removes the dead skin. The facials stimulate the circulation and help the lymphatic drainage system.”

With scores of Baby Boomers reaching “a certain age”, anti-aging facials for mature skin are in demand; and at the other end of the spectrum, “A signature service is our special acne treatment for teens and young people. We have specific products for them, and it’s very important to emphasize cleanliness” says Eva, who also advises clients about home treatments to maintain their skin in the best condition.

“I really enjoy doing the facials,” she continues. “My experience determines which is the best facial for the individual. We can also mix products for the best result. We have two facial rooms, including heated beds, which are also used for massages and waxing. There are separate areas for pedicures and manicures.

Special Line

“We use a special line of French products from Yon-ka. They are based on aromatherapy and have a very natural scent. The product for peeling contains all-natural ingredients featuring citrus. You can even sleep with it on all night. The product is so scrumptious that you really feel you are doing your skin a favor.”

Eva has had many regular customers from the Princeton area over the years, and even from as far away as the Poconos. She also welcomes new clients all the time.

“We provide a warm, welcoming, and relaxing atmosphere, and our clients feel very comfortable. I enjoy talking with the women and giving them positive reinforcement. I recommend that people come in at least four times a year, seasonally, for facials, even if they cannot come more often. We offer competitive prices for all our services.

“We are set apart because we have the best all-natural products, and because our staff is so experienced, and offers such high quality service. We also have continuing education, and attend seminars regarding all the new products. I look forward to continuing to help people look and feel better!”

Eva’s studio is open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday 9 to 4, and by special appointment. (609) 448-5666. Website:

PERFECT FIT: “Working in divorce law was a perfect fit for my background in the mental health field. Now, I am involved in collaborative law, which is an enlightened new approach to divorce.” Christopher R. Barbrack, Esq., has also received numerous degrees, including a PhD in psychology, served as a tenured professor at Rutgers Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology, and had a practice in clinical psychology in Princeton before attending law school.

PERFECT FIT: “Working in divorce law was a perfect fit for my background in the mental health field. Now, I am involved in collaborative law, which is an enlightened new approach to divorce.” Christopher R. Barbrack, Esq., has also received numerous degrees, including a PhD in psychology, served as a tenured professor at Rutgers Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology, and had a practice in clinical psychology in Princeton before attending law school.

Helping people, whether in his role as psychologist or lawyer, is the mission of Christopher R. Barbrack, Esq. He has been doing this since his graduation from Iona College with a BA in psychology, an MA and ABD from Columbia University, and a PhD from Indiana University.

After studying and working in Indiana, Florida, and Tennessee, Mr. Barbrack settled in Princeton in 1981. He established a practice as a clinical psychologist, and was also a tenured associate professor at Rutgers Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology, where he lectured, and wrote on topics of psychotherapy, clinical supervision, and statistics/experimental design.

In addition, he served as a clinical psychologist at the Carrier Clinic in Belle Mead, as well as at the Princeton Center for Neuropsychological Evaluation and Rehabilitation, where he saw a wide variety of outpatients for assessment and psychotherapy.

Mr. Barbrack also spent time in the Union County Public Defender’s office in Elizabeth, conducting psychological and neuro-psychological examinations of defendants charged with capital crimes.

Process of the Law

“I enjoyed my practice in clinical psychology, and I loved teaching at Rutgers,” he says. In 1986, however, he decided to leave his psychology practice and go to law school. Switching gears, but not focus, he earned a JD degree from the University of Pennsylvania, and is licensed to practice law in New Jersey and New York.

“My wife is a lawyer, and I liked the process of the law. For a lawyer, the results are very obvious. You get an answer. You win or lose a case. You get the divorce settlement.”

“My life presents me with several challenges to think about and spend time and energy on,” he explains. “One, to help those who are least able to help themselves, which in my case are children trapped in divorcing families where the parents are swamped by emotional turmoil. I should add to this my work with undocumented immigrants. Two, to continue to study. As professionals mature, they can coast on what they already know. This is comfortable for them, but makes me uncomfortable. Three, to continue to hone my listening skills. I worked on this as a psychologist and do so as an attorney.”

After graduation in 1989, and passing the bar in New Jersey and New York, Mr. Barbrack worked as a solo practitioner in general law with emphasis on family law. He later served as a trial lawyer as the plaintiff’s attorney in medical malpractice cases.

Welfare of Others

His concern for the welfare of others drew him to consider another aspect of the law, especially in regard to divorce cases. As he explains, “Traditionally, a divorce lawyer represents a client, and the bill goes up and up and up. You bring in experts, and a case can go on for years, ultimately going to court. This bothered me. For more than 20 years, I have been a critic of using psychologists in helping courts make decisions about children in divorce. There should be more of a widespread awareness that the field of clinical psychology has almost nothing to offer the child custody decision-making process — at least there is no good science to verify it.”

These reservations about traditional divorce law led him to a new way of managing these cases. “I went into collaborative law, which is a new approach. In collaborative law, you get people together. Each client has a lawyer, and they all sit together in the same room. Before we start, everyone signs a pledge that says we will never go to court. We want to achieve a solution before it gets to that. Also, the first thing we say is ‘Are you sure you want to do this? Is there no way to save the marriage?’ If not, then we are committed to achieving an amicable solution.”

Mr. Barbrack says that it can take as little as six months to reach a settlement, with sessions lasting from one to three hours.

If the services of an expert in a particular field are needed, the collaborative law approach is to rely on just one, he points out. “We will rely on that one person, and everyone agrees to this. One of the major attractions for me about collaborative divorce law is that it moves the psychologist from conducting always costly and sometimes damaging child custody evaluations to a place where the psychologist can participate in the collaborative process and work directly on helping families through the divorce and setting the stage for a good aftermath.

Emotional Issues

“Also,” he continues, “if there are emotional issues involved, such as a spouse leaving the marriage for another person, a coach or mental health therapist can be brought in. If a client is so upset and angry, they may need help to find a way to get past it in order to move on.

“The idea is to get people to focus on their needs and goals, and always, when children are involved, to think of what will be best for them. The parents have to separate their own issues and problems and concentrate on the children’s needs. It is very important for the children to have a stable, secure home during and after a divorce. Both for them and the society. We want them to grow up to be productive citizens.”

Mr. Barbrack adds that in some cases, such as those involving domestic or child abuse, collaborative law may not be effective.

Overall, however, it is a smoother, less contentious process, reducing the amount of dissension and bitterness. Custody arrangements are worked out for children — and even pets — with the least amount of difficulty and dissatisfaction.

Immigration Law

“Over the years, both as a psychologist and a lawyer, I have learned that you never know the trouble people are dealing with,” points out Mr. Barbrack. “Some people are really heroes handling all they are going through.”

He also devotes part of his practice to immigration law, and he serves on the Advisory Board of the Latin American Legal Defense Fund in Trenton. “I am very moved by the undocumented immigrants in Princeton, and other lawyers and I are helping them with the application process for the Deferred Action Program. This is for those people who have been in the United States for at least five years since the age of 16 or younger. It is aimed at keeping them from being sent back to their native country.”

During his time as a psychologist, and now as a lawyer, Mr. Barbrack has written more than 100 articles, book chapters, professional presentations, and technical reports in law and psychology. He has served on the subcommittee on regulations of the New Jersey Board of Psychological Examiners, and has been a frequent lecturer at the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Education. He has also participated in numerous workshops and conventions.

A fan of Princeton, Mr. Barbrack looks forward to continuing his practice here. “Princeton is a diverse community in almost every way and is home to many very interesting and accomplished people.

“The famous psychoanalyst Eric Ericson wrote about the development of people from birth to old age. The challenges of my developmental stage involve finding meaning in everyday life and continuing to be a ‘player’ on whatever stage I find myself. Fortunately, I much prefer work to vacations so I have plenty of opportunities for fulfillment.”

Mr. Barbrack’s hours are by appointment, including evenings and weekends. (609) 497-1111. Website:

To the Editor:

In a public forum like a community newspaper, we think it is vitally important that people feel free to share their opinions and exercise their right to free speech. At the same time, we’d like to take the opportunity to correct some of the information presented in the February 27, 2013 letter to the editor about the sexual health education that is provided in 44 New Jersey school districts (“Some Princeton Students, Alumni, Take Issue With Small World’s Sponsoring of HiTOPS”) .

The referenced curriculum, is part of an evidence-based, statewide program that is developed and disseminated collaboratively by HiTOPS and the Princeton Center for Leadership Training, with support from the New Jersey Department of Health. It conforms to New Jersey Department of Education Core Curriculum Content Standards for health education, and has been rigorously vetted by state and federal expert review panels that have found it to be medically-accurate, age-appropriate, and culturally-appropriate. This comprehensive sexual health curriculum and structured program model is implemented in schools that have voluntarily chosen to do so with the approval of their local school board. In each participating school, parents are free to choose to allow their students to opt in or opt out of this program.

We are disappointed that this curriculum, which represents the highest standard of comprehensive sexual health education available today in the United States, has been described in ways that are inaccurate, out of context, and misrepresentative of the materials that experts in the field of adolescent health, pregnancy prevention, reproductive health, and pediatrics deem to encompass the best practices for a public health approach to reducing unplanned pregnancy and transmission of STDs (sexually transmitted diseases).

While the Princeton community is fortunate in so many ways, the fact remains that our nation has the highest teen pregnancy rate and higher rates of sexually transmitted diseases among teens of all developed countries. National studies report that it is not that U.S. teens are not more sexually active, but that they frequently lack the information and skills needed to evaluate their risk for unintended pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections. Experts around the world agree, this approach — providing accurate, unbiased information and access to resources and care, including parental involvement — is the best approach for reducing risks and promoting health-enhancing decisions.

Elizabeth M. Casparian,

Daniel F. Oscar,

Princeton Center for Leadership Training

To the Editor:

In her letter of Feb. 27 (“Opposition to AvalonBay Not ‘Widespread’”) Sandra Persichetti makes some excellent points that should have been considered at least six months ago. As she points out, we are now the defendants in expensive legislation, with a potential of $2 million in damages, plus cost of defense.

This is the second time that the hospital has been on the verge of selling this non-productive asset that is a significant cash drain. If this option expires May 1, it doesn’t help the chances for the hospital to find another purchaser. Given the recent history, it is hard to imagine another developer willing to go the trouble of trying to develop the property. If the option to purchase expires on May 1, we’re back where we started — a deteriorating vacant building occupying a significant piece of property. We already have one of these on Valley Road, and that has not been a good experience, as was pointed out by Mr. Woodbridge in his recent letter.

We are all dependent on the services of the Princeton Hospital. To be unable to sell this property puts an incredible financial burden on our hospital. If the property is ever to be sold, some form of multi family housing is probably inevitable.

Maybe the AvalonBay development plan was flawed. However, the value of the underlying real estate is such that it is probably not reasonable to expect that the site will be turned into something like a bird sanctuary.

William Stephenson

Governors Lane

To the Editor:

With interest and relief I read in Town Topics (Feb. 27, “‘No Dearth of Ideas’” on DOT’s Route 1 Concept”) the page one story on debates over a Route 1 concept that would alleviate bottlenecks and delays between Princeton, West Windsor, Plainsboro, and the new University Medical Center — that glassy hybrid of motel and airport that looks more accessible than it is. May I add this detail to the discussion: This summer I was scheduled for daily radiation in the oncological wing of the Medical Center in a rush-hour slot — 4:40. The treatment was excellent. I was not so sick that I was obliged to haul a huge car with me and then fume passively while it was trapped in traffic, so part of the recovery plan was to bike to and fro from the Borough (a 17-minute exercise) down Harrison to the crosswalk across Route 1, and then, during the red light, a sharp and fast dart up north to the hospital turn-off. In a car this trip could take up to 45 congested minutes at that time of day; the mobility and sense of urgency provided by a bicycle was (I am sure) itself a healing factor.

Could we please look at the physical state of lower Harrison Street (after the bridge) from this perspective? Hairpin turns and bad visibility, yes — but not only is there no shoulder, there are all sorts of treacherous trash, potholes, weeds, lumps of blacktop and broken glass, as if any human being accidentally outside a car was positively punished. Approaching the hospital complex was also hazardous, although there one must assume that landscaping was still in progress. In addition to the elaborate indoors health club being constructed on hospital grounds, however, how about a safe bike (and walking) path across that little bridge and to the hospital? I was fortunate to have a biking escort for most of these hospital visits, which greatly improved the safety, but not every client can count on that.

In July, new bicycle routes in Copenhagen to and from urban hospitals got quite a bit of press. Women gave birth and biked home with their newborns. European and Asian cities routinely make allowance for people who want to propel themselves to where they need to go, not only by pressing on a gas pedal. To provide a decent, healthy non-motor path from Princeton to the new hospital would be a fine community service and worthy end-point for our tax dollars.

Caryl Emerson

Dempsey Avenue

To the Editor:

With AvalonBay (AB) appealing the Planning Board’s denial of its application, the new Planning Board and Princeton Council are considering their response. New members of the Council and the Planning Board have a responsibility to review the public record of Board Hearings of the AvalonBay project, especially the graphic representations and massing designs shown by local architects. Words like “monolith” came alive — so also “scale” and street “frontage.” After seeing these visuals, everyone understood the overwhelming mass of the development. Urban planner Peter Steck argued that the plans required multiple c- and d- variances. Forty residents spoke; 38 of them opposed the project.

The illustrations are central to comprehending the radically disruptive character of AvalonBay’s wedge in the Witherspoon Street corridor. AB didn’t present a single visualization of its 367,808 sq. ft. apartment building in the context of the neighborhood of two-story houses, which would have revealed the cookie-cutter design’s inconsistency with the neighborhood in scale and character. The Board criticized the lack of visuals in its memorializing resolution, with attorney Muller writing that AvalonBay didn’t provide the Board with “accurate and sufficient information” (page 36).

AvalonBay’s appeal claims that the ordinance language is “vague”. But the visual presentations demonstrate clearly that AB’s plans don’t comply with this language and that the language is thus enforceable. Princeton’s attorneys should ask Judge Jacobson to admit the visualizations into evidence. Any legal deliberations of AvalonBay’s appeal would be flawed without them.

Wendy Ludlum

South Harrison Street

To the Editor:

I hope the Princeton Council will stand firm in opposition to any further proposal by AvalonBay (AB),

1) which advertises its efforts to avoid paying taxes.

2) which is intransigent in negotiations, as shown by the refusal to consider suggestions of citizens and repeated efforts to shut down citizen communication with the Council.

3) whose design is outmoded, un-green, and cookie cutter, not designed to complement the surrounding neighborhood or the Master Plan so carefully worked out between the hospital and the town well before the hospital moved to Plainsboro or met with AvalonBay.

4) which shades the truth re need for a pool, when the town has just rebuilt its handsome pool right across the street (“AvalonBay always has one”), ability to “do retail” (but they have done it elsewhere), location of possible cesspools (they say that if it smells they will deal with it, rather than look for the cesspool that is thought to be buried under the garage.)

Regardless of AvalonBay’s protestations, this project, if completed, will strain municipal services (The 280 units insisted on will accommodate how many children? Use how much water? Produce how much” waste, how much traffic and at what hours?)

We can all go on and on discussing these and other items that have surfaced during the year of public comment, but worst of all, AvalonBay’s approach in every possible way defies and contradicts the community that surrounds it.

1) A concentration of affordable housing such as AB offers to counter all objections is no substitute for town wide planning; it is a plug set to backfire.

2) It will not integrate itself into the community; like the towering condos now going vacant on Palmer Square, it will look down on — yes, condescend to — its neighbors.

3) Whatever is built there will increase tax pressure on the existing affordable housing in John Street, which is already driving a slow exodus of blacks who have historically served the community in so many ways. Therefore,

4) Anything proposed must offer the benefits of upgraded retail complementing the town’s effort to upgrade the Witherspoon Street corridor.

5) And it must integrate the John Street neighborhood that it faces on into the rest of the community by creating permeability and a real park.

I beg the Council to find alternatives; not just settle.

Mary Clurman

Harris Road

To the Editor:

This is our town and we cannot allow some outside corporation or real estate so-called “trust” tell us what to do here. In case nobody has noticed, the central axis of civil society in Princeton is moving from the University-dominated Nassau St to the full length of Witherspoon Street.

Witherspoon Street has a lot of what any town needs for life: a town hall, a church, a school, a swimming pool, restaurants, small businesses, a neighborhood grocery store, a fine clothing shop, headquarters of a charity, an arts center, and even a graveyard. There is a bar. Oh, and I forgot the wonderful town library. This is only a partial list of what we need in our town. A vibrant mix.

The hospital site is right in the center of all this, and can be thought of as the center of our newly consolidated town.

The massive THING proposed by AvalonBay and wisely rejected by our Planning Board would deaden the vibrancy by blocking up the area where our real need is for more streets, more connections between neighborhoods, and more choice between types of rental housing.

Yes, we need rental housing, but our town deserves good design. We reject AvalonBay and what it stands for.

Sarah Hollister

Ridgeview Road

To the Editor:

Princeton’s mayor and Council have reportedly “offered” resignation or investigation to Police Chief David Dudeck because certain officers within his department claim he engaged in inappropriate intra-departmental communications.

The public needs mayor and Council to conduct an appropriate investigation of the allegations and the credibility of those who made them. Our elected representatives would shirk their statutory accountability for police management not to pursue such an investigation, regardless of a resignation by Chief Dudeck.

This is not to pre-judge the allegations against Chief Dudeck: who knows what truth lies in police precincts? But one thing is clear: fueled by management-union and Borough/Township tensions, the legacy of intra-departmental politics that plagued both the former Borough and Township police has degenerated to a new low in the newly consolidated department.

A few years ago, Borough Chief Anthony Federico led a poorly executed effort to reorganize the department, resulting in the firing, suspension, or indictment of no less than one third of the Borough force. The Borough’s governing body took a hands-off approach to the near collapse of the department.

When the last three Township police chiefs each resigned following reports of mismanagement, improper conduct, or criminal charges, the Township governing body never brought the facts to light but, instead, granted the chiefs handsome retirement packages and buried any analysis of police dysfunction.

Successive failures by Princeton governing bodies to manage their police departments have resulted in millions of dollars — yes, millions — in unjustifiably high personnel costs, unnecessary lawsuit awards, settlements and legal fees, and bad police morale. Mismanagement wastes tax money and impairs public safety.

History will be repeated if mayor and Council fail to address the systemic problems underlying the allegations against Chief Dudeck simply by “offering” him resignation and an expensive retirement, and then reshuffling the deck of officers in the newly consolidated department.

Princeton’s new governing body must demonstrate that it has the mettle to deal with the intra-departmental tensions that are behind the pending allegations. It must pursue an appropriate investigation to assure Princetonians that it is their informed elected representatives, and not a cadre of over-politicized police officers, who control the public safety functions of the community.

Roger Martindell

Patton Avenue

February 27, 2013

To the Editor:

As Princeton students and alumni living in town, we cherish our unique local establishments — and none so much as the iconic Small World Coffee. So we were disappointed to see that for the past month this beloved institution has been sponsoring the controversial sex education organization HiTOPS, whose activities offend many of Small World’s patrons.

What is so offensive about HiTOPS? The organization uses its monopoly status in 50 communities around New Jersey to teach students a sexual ethic most parents would find objectionable. We don’t mean that they acknowledge something we all know — that not every student will wait until they are married to have sex. But there is a big difference between presenting high school children with medical facts about reproduction and STIs and fostering an environment that encourages sexual risk taking — by those too young to grasp fully the risks they take. But how does HiTOPS encourage sexual risk taking? By coercing students into sharing intimate conversations — their feelings about sex — with strangers (talk about peer pressure), emphasizing the negative size of waiting (“it’s really hard”), and desensitizing students by showing extremely graphic images of a condom being used. HiTOPS lessons on abstinence suggest that “sexting,” watching porn with a boyfriend or girlfriend, and cuddling naked are all behaviors that can be part of a healthy sexually abstinent lifestyle. For a fifteen-year-old. The curriculum encourages “limiting” a teen’s number of sexual partners, rather than postponing sex until an age when the brain’s ability to make responsible decisions — and handle the consequences — has been better formed. (There is a reason the drinking age is 21, not 15.) Limiting sexual partners to 1 per year starting at 16 may seem not bad. But consider that (statistically speaking) these students are unlikely to marry until their late twenties. Even if they maintain a rate of only 1 sexual partner per year (and that’s generous considering many will take part in the college hook-up scene), that’s at least 10 lifetime partners. With STI rates being what they are, this kind of “limiting” isn’t so safe after all.

Rather than encouraging students to discuss sexual decisions — or frightening situations teens may find themselves in — with their parents, students are told to make a list of local clinics (where parents are kept out of the loop) and turn to the strangers there for help when they are at their most vulnerable.

By turning serious decisions about sex into a series of cutesy jokes in skits and comics like “Condom Man,” HiTOPS strips sex of its inherent dignity. We appreciate that Small World gives back to the community every year by supporting charitable groups, but we hope that next year they will do more research into the organizations they support to avoid offending their patrons, but more importantly to avoid endorsing a program that harms our community under the pretext of serving the common good.

Caitlin Seery,

Spruce Street (Class of 2009)

Caroline Bazinet,

Princeton University (Class of 2014)

T.Z. Horton,

Princeton University (Class of 2015)

Cassandra (DeBenedetto) Hough,

Loetscher Place (Class of 2007)

Ana (Quesada) Samuel,

Bergen Street (Class of 2000)

To the Editor:

AvalonBay’s ill-considered lawsuit has prompted much public handwringing and many “I told you so’s” — usually from solons whose identities are concealed behind initials and pen-names.

Most of the critics make plain their view that the Planning Board should have waved through a site plan that even its most ardent supporters would describe as ill suited to the neighborhood into which its proposed buildings were to be dropped. Craftier critics chide our former Planning Board for disregarding “the law,” as if we do not have an abundance of evidence to remind us that sitting judges can do just about anything they please — and usually do.

AvalonBay’s charge of bias and willful evasion of the requirements of the various Mt. Laurel statutes is pure nonsense. Only a sophist would suggest that a desire for lower density and/or less intrusive design is prima facie evidence of a bias against “affordable housing.” In fact, housing does not need to be dense and ugly to be affordable, nor must reduced density and pleasing design imply a reduced commitment to affordable housing. Council might find it helpful to know — and to let the presiding judge know — that some of us are working to finance a locally sponsored development scheme, one that would reduce density by at least 50 percent but deed-restrict 56 of the new units for affordable housing.

The real issue — the only issue — is AvalonBay’s attempt to bully our town into imposing excessive density and poor design on one of our core downtown neighborhoods — with the certain result that existing affordable housing in adjacent neighborhoods (e.g. the Witherspoon Jackson neighborhood) will be made unaffordable as land values are driven skywards.

We will now discover whether or not our town’s leaders have the backbone to defend a vote that a brazen developer has chosen to challenge as arbitrary and capricious — a vote that never would have been needed had our town’s paid staff vetted the proposed project more thoroughly at the outset. Those who insist that AvalonBay was legally entitled to proceed might do well to review Peter Steck’s masterful critique of the application’s many deficiencies. His critique — perhaps the best single presentation I have ever seen — made clear that the application should never have reached the planning board.

Let us hope that Council votes to persevere, and that the town’s attorneys will not be too proud to cite Mr. Steck’s findings in their formal response to AvalonBay’s pleadings. And let us hope that, in the future, it will not be necessary for a citizens’ group to engage and pay outside experts to expose the blunders of the town’s paid staff.

Peter Marks

Moore Street

To the Editor:

I have been following the application of AvalonBay to develop the former hospital site on Witherspoon Street with great interest. I am disappointed that the Planning Board chose to reject the application knowing full well that it was within the parameters of the zoning ordinance. This rejection opens the municipality to a likely lawsuit from AvalonBay that would probably be decided in AvalonBay’s favor. I do not agree with Mayor Lempert that there was “widespread opposition” to the plan. The opposition by a small group of people under the guise of sustainability was vocal but not widespread. In some cases, members of that group are living in houses exceeding their needs with swimming pools and other improvements that are far from sustainable.

One may not like the developer or the development as proposed; however, one should consider the following before rejecting it.

If the plan meets the zoning ordinance, it is likely to stand up in court.

Lawsuits (which Princeton people seem to love) are costly to the municipality and I do not believe that is the best use of our tax dollars.

An empty hospital building will soon become derelict and the real estate taxes received from it will be reduced due to the lack of occupancy.

The sale of the building was part of a large and carefully considered financial plan for the hospital. It has already been reported that the hospital is losing thousands of dollars each month that the building is vacant. Those funds will never be made up.

If the density on the site is lowered, the value of the property will also be lowered. Previous potential buyers have not appeared given the uncertainty of the future possible zoning. And, of course, the number of affordable units will be decreased.

Private property developed in accordance with zoning ordinances should not be subjected to the whims of vocal objectors. I doubt that those objectors would make changes to their own properties based on what others think would be appropriate. One does wonder why these very vocal people who are so opposed to the AvalonBay development haven’t assembled the resources necessary to purchase the hospital site and develop it in accordance with their own plans for sustainability.

Sandra Persichetti

Trewbridge Court

To the Editor:

Yet again we Dinky-riders watched as the shuttle accelerated round the bend in the Princeton Junction parking lot just as our train arrived. I’ve had this general experience an annoying number of times, but this time I decided to record the specifics and offer a solution.

Last Saturday’s local 1:14 p.m. from Penn Station arrived at the Junction five minutes late at 2:31 — exactly the Dinky’s advertised departure time. Of the 32 frustrated customers, 25 shared cabs for the last leg of their journey. We others waited for 40 minutes for the Dinky to return for the 3:11 run back to the beloved old station. Once, when I absolutely had to be in town on time, I myself took a taxi: $18 without tip.

Logically, the Dinky could have waited at the Junction until 2:53 and still arrived at the Princeton station several minutes before its next scheduled return, inconveniencing only those riders already on the shuttle at 3:11 — or it could have made an additional (unscheduled) roundtrip. The conductor explained that he would be subject to discipline for failing to maintain schedule if he had waited, but he did point out that he has the authority to leave early when an “L” is shown on the schedule. Only if his special schedule has an “H” (for hold) can he delay departure.

The Solution: Reprint the Dinky pages in the employee timetable, with each scheduled departure from the Junction annotated with “H(old) up until [7 minutes before next scheduled departure from Princeton]”, with clock-times specifically calculated for those shuttles where this works. Even more trains could be met at the Junction, coming and going, if the Dinky were able to schedule more than three round trips an hour, but that would have to be negotiated with the union. Let’s start with the easy part.

Rodney Fisk

Birch Avenue

February 20, 2013

To the Editor:

In 2013, year one of the new consolidated Princeton, two seats on the Princeton Council will be up for election. As the president of the Princeton Community Democratic Organization (PCDO) and as the chair of the Princeton Democratic Municipal Committee (PDMC), we are writing to encourage all genuinely interested Democrats to step forward as candidates for these seats. We want to briefly outline the endorsement process for the community, but potential candidates should contact us to learn more about the endorsement and primary election process, and all candidates must contact us by March 3 to be considered for endorsement. We will have an open reception this coming Sunday, February 24, from 2 to 4 p.m. at 210 Moore Street. If you are interested in running this year or in the future, please come and ask questions and learn more.

The endorsement process for Princeton Democrats will involve two steps, as it did last year. First, the PCDO will hold its annual endorsement meeting for local candidates on Sunday, March 17 beginning at 7:30 p.m. in the Suzanne Patterson Center (behind the former Borough Hall). This meeting is a week earlier than usual to avoid conflicts with the public school break and Passover. After debate and discussion, PCDO members will vote by secret ballot to endorse Democratic candidates for two seats on the Council. The PCDO endorsement is an important step for Democrats who wish to compete for the nomination for these offices.

Second, the Princeton Democratic Municipal Committee will hold its endorsement meeting the following evening on March 18, where the committee will receive the results of the PCDO endorsement vote. Candidates will each appear for a discussion with the Democratic Committee members, and then the committee will vote to endorse two candidates. The results of this two-step endorsement process will decide which candidates will receive the Democratic Party endorsements for the June primary. Candidates will have until April 1 to file nominating petitions in order to actually appear on the primary ballot. The Democrats selected in the June Primary will then appear on the November ballot.

Candidates seeking the PCDO endorsement must notify PCDO President Jon Durbin by March 3 (14 days prior to the meeting) by email at or at (609) 924-2438. Similarly, Princeton Democrats should join the PCDO or renew their membership by March 3 to be eligible to vote at the March 17 meeting (dues are annual per calendar year, $15 suggested and $5 minimum). Membership information and a downloadable form are available at To see the Democratic Committee members for your voting district, visit

Jon Durbin

Mt. Lucas Road, President, PCDO

Peter Wolanin

Spruce Street, Chair, PDMC

To the Editor:

Last week, the Princeton community was treated to a wonderful Commonground lecture on raising resilient children, by Lenore Skenazy, author of the book Free Range Kids: A Commonsense Approach to Parenting in these Overprotective Times. She took the opportunity to highlight the ways that modern parents can promote activities and provide environments that help kids become “smart, young, capable individuals, not invalids who needs constant attention and help.”

Scouting in Princeton is a way that parents can implement Lenore’s ideas. Girl Scouting and Boy Scouting use progressive experiences to prepare kids for adulthood. They promote child-led experiences and provide multiple opportunities for kids to explore and engage the world around them, all the while cultivating leadership.

For example, girls in Princeton have yearly opportunities to attend camp with older girls, and learn to survive and thrive without modern amenities. Their time with their troop, both at camp and at their field trips and meeting places, enables them to bond, be in the company of other adult authority figures and contribute to both their own development and the larger community. All the while, the girls practice common sense, have opportunities to challenge their comfort zone, and learn valuable skills.

Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts provide a similarly rich experience through which boys participate in a broad array of activities and adventures. Through camping, hiking, service projects, and other outdoor activities, boys learn skills that will help them overcome obstacles and challenges with courage and character throughout their lives. As they grow as leaders, they learn cooperation and teamwork, as well as the importance of being active members of the community.

We hope that all parents will consider how Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, and Boy Scouts could benefit their children as they grow, experience, and master the world around them. Please join us!

And if your own childhood and adulthood has equipped you with an expertise that would benefit Scouts in Princeton, please consider joining our volunteer ranks to give back to your community and positively affect the next generation.

Karen Freundlich

Stanford Place

Tracy King, Laura Felten

Girl Scouts of Princeton

Bill French

Cub Scout Pack 43

Kevin Baranowski

Cub Scout Pack 1880

Patrick Sullivan. Adrienne Rubin

Boy Scout Troop 43

To the Editor:

Princeton has witnessed over 20 years of lamentable neglect and lack of stewardship of highly valuable real property commonly known as the Valley Road School. Isn’t it time for a united Princeton to seize the initiative in resurrecting this facility for beneficial use both in providing needed services to the community and achieving savings to the taxpayer? We really do know how to do it. Let’s get something done!

Having been involved in some depth with the Valley Road complex of community facilities, I could recount a multitude of misadventures and inaction by the Board of Education, Princeton Township, and a host of others as responsible stewards of community real property. Just a few examples follow.

For years, the parties argued about who owned what, who should pay, and how much. During the Township’s lengthy occupancy little was done to maintain or repair the facility in spite of continual complaints about its poor condition, employee health issues, and inadequacy for its mission. Having then justified the need, the Township built what some refer to as the “Princeton Township Taj Mahal,” abandoning the school to further neglect and disuse. Soon thereafter, PRS completed a monumental $85 million school construction program and floated a recent $11 million bond issue without addressing their dilapidated building or working with the Town to resolve final disposition of the Valley Road School. A book could be written!

The good news is Valley Road School and other municipal facilities issues are now before a united Princeton community. This creates a wonderful opportunity to use innovative funding and project delivery approaches now being widely employed nationally to build and renovate community infrastructure. Yes, the town’s infrastructure includes our schools, public parks, recreation facilities, and community centers right along with the sewer plant on River Road, Public Works facilities, and Firehouses. A spectrum of methods, including Public-Private Partnerships and many hybrids with or without private ownership plus non-profit private 501c3 entities, among others, are available.

The Valley Road School is an ideal candidate for creation of a Community Center by a recently established, local 501c3 non-profit for supporting service organizations through conversion and repurposing using sustainable adaptive reuse. This project for adaptive reuse will require modest or no taxpayer funding for conversion, operations, and maintenance and the multiple community service non-profit tenants will be self-supporting. Further, Valley Road School continues to house community service organizations even after relocation of Corner House to prime Class A space in the former Borough Hall. Note that the just voted $11 million bond issue for PRS funds significant projects of a similar character, especially repair, renovation, and repurposing, for existing underutilized or deficient facilities.

Most important, current beneficial use and occupancy will continue and additional use commence almost immediately while work for repair, conversion, repurposing, and new occupancy of currently unused space proceeds.

Let’s start a “new normal” for beneficial use and stewardship of our valuable community real property. Get common sense things done quickly, not 20 years too late with opportunity costs and taxes issue foregone.

John Clearwater, P.E.

Governors Lane

FRIENDLY FITNESS: “I want women to come in and feel they are trying on clothes in a friend’s home. I wanted to create an elegant and serene environment, where women will feel comfortable and happy to shop.” Liz Compton, owner of Perfect Performance Fitness & Dancewear, is enthusiastic about her new store.

FRIENDLY FITNESS: “I want women to come in and feel they are trying on clothes in a friend’s home. I wanted to create an elegant and serene environment, where women will feel comfortable and happy to shop.” Liz Compton, owner of Perfect Performance Fitness & Dancewear, is enthusiastic about her new store.

Perfect Performance Fitness & Dancewear at 25 Route 31 South, Suite 11B in Pennington is the place to go for work-out aficianadas and dancers. This new shop opened last August, and has a great selection of fitness and dancewear for all ages. Little leotards, tutus, and tights for tots, as well as a complete selection for adult exercise enthusiasts and dancers are all on display.

“This is a new adventure for me,” says owner Liz Compton. “I had previously worked in sales and marketing consulting, but when this space became available, I saw an opportunity for something different. When an opportunity presents itself, I don’t think you should let it go by. I decided to offer dancewear for kids and adults and fitness wear. My children dance, and I danced as a girl, and I am familiar with the dance world.”

In addition to her enthusiasm for tap dancing, Ms. Compton goes to the gym, and knows what is comfortable and conducive to good work-outs. “A lot of people in this area are pretty religious about their work-outs,” she points out. “And another thing, nowadays, women can wear work-out clothes all the time. This clothing is very versatile and comfortable, and quite acceptable to wear in other settings.”

A selection of regular sportswear, including sweaters, tops, and fun vests that can fold into a little bag, is available.

Fashionable and Functional

Indeed, the choices at Perfect Performance offer options that are versatile and interchangeable. Tops and pants are fashionable as well as functional.

“The Beyond Yoga line is really fantastic,” reports Ms. Compton. “The PrismSport line has a lot of colorful patterns, with little skirts that can be worn over tights or leggings. And almost all of our inventory is made in the U.S. A lot is cotton and organic cotton. We also have a lot of high performance fabrics. Color is very personal. Some people are most comfortable in dark pants; others like brighter colors, and remember, patterned work-out pants can hide bulges, ripples, and sweat!”

Ms. Compton also points out that she doesn’t carry a lot of the same items and that customers will not see her outfits elsewhere. “First, there is really nothing here like our shop. In a town like this, I didn’t want two women on the treadmill next to each other finding themselves wearing the same thing. I decided to get a big variety of clothes. For as many types of different body shapes, there is a piece of work-out clothing for someone. It’s important to find out what a person is comfortable in and what works for her.”

The dancewear section offers a selection of tights and leotards for girls and adults, as well as dance shoes, including ballet, tap, and ballroom, from Capezio and Block and others.

The shop also offers a selection of jewelry and accessories, such as SweatyBands headbands, handbags, travel bags, I.D. and cell phone cases from Cinda B?, and little clutches. Sports bras include “Coobics Bee” for total comfort, with one size fitting most. A variety of small items for children, including stuffed animals, ballerina music boxes, and little jewelry boxes, is also available.

Ms. Compton enjoys talking with customers and getting to know them and their tastes. “I like to talk with customers who come in, and I’ll often get information from them. I like to have their recommendations, and I do special orders. I’m still honing the inventory according to customers’ tastes, and I really love talking to them.”

Styles for Everyone

Prices are mid-range, she adds. Sports bras are $20; jewelry from $15, and regular sales are offered.

“What I especially want to emphasize is our personal service, and that women will be very comfortable here,” says Ms. Compton. “I want them to feel that they are buying clothes from a peer, who faces all the same insecurities and body issues they do. I am my client! I work out, and I sure know a lot about shopping! We have styles for everyone — whether they are serious athletes or those who just want comfortable, flattering clothes to enjoy life in.

“And, we’re still a work in progress. I look forward to the store evolving. I want Perfect Performance to be the place that people think of when they say, ‘Oh, I need a pair of work-out pants.’ And it’s super fun for me to go somewhere and see someone wearing something they got here. I am so encouraged already. We’ve only been opened a few months, and we have regular customers already.”

Perfect Performance offers gift cards, and gift packaging, and is open Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., Wednesday 12 to 8, Saturday 9 to 4. (609) 303-0320.

HEALTHCARE HELP: “We help clients manage their healthcare, go with them to doctor’s appointments and to the hospital, help explain a diagnosis and treatment, help clients with bill review, and defend them in disputes.” John Karlen, partner in Affinity Healthcare Advocates and Danielle Daab RN, MSN, RN Advocate, look forward to introducing people to the special assistance they can provide.

HEALTHCARE HELP: “We help clients manage their healthcare, go with them to doctor’s appointments and to the hospital, help explain a diagnosis and treatment, help clients with bill review, and defend them in disputes.” John Karlen, partner in Affinity Healthcare Advocates and Danielle Daab RN, MSN, RN Advocate, look forward to introducing people to the special assistance they can provide.

It’s always in the news these days. How does one handle healthcare? So many options are out there — “Obamacare”, numerous insurance plans with Plan A through Z, and for the mature population: Medicare and various supplementary healthcare advantage plans.

Figuring it all out is challenging, even if one isn’t sick! If illness is part of the equation, everything intensifies, and if it’s serious, fear becomes a factor.

As Dr. Carolyn M. Clancy MD points out, “Listening carefully to your doctor and asking questions about a diagnosis or test results can help you get better care. But here’s the problem: just when you should be paying close attention to what your doctor is saying, you may be stunned by the news you just received. That’s when having a health or patient advocate, who can write down information, and speak up for you, so you can better understand your illness and get the care and assistance you need, can help.”

It is a lot to handle, and the mission of Affinity Healthcare Advocates(AHA) is to help their clients navigate the healthcare maze at every level, by relieving them of some of the stress and worry during what can be a very time-consuming and confusing procedure.

Valuable Service

“It’s coordinating the process, explaining what needs to be done, explaining what the medical treatments and options are,” says John Karlen, partner in the firm with his wife Patty Karlen, chief operating officer. “By having an advocate, the patient will receive better treatment and care.”

“This is such a valuable service,” adds Danielle Daab, RN, MSN, and RN Advocate, who helps patients from their initial evaluation through their diagnosis and treatments. “This is a new adventure for me, a different aspect of nursing, and I am really looking forward to it.”

The concept began with his wife Patty Karlen RN, BSN,, reports Mr. Karlen. “She has been a nurse for 34 years, formerly at the Kaiser Hospital Research Clinic in Portland, Oregon, and then with Princeton Healthcare at the University Medical Center at Princeton. Most recently, she has been with Ingham County Well Child Clinic in Michigan.

“Patty saw the need to help patients who were challenged and confused by many of the areas involving their healthcare, and developed this idea of a support system for them. We are the advocate for the patient.”

Formerly president of Conventus, an insurance company in New Jersey, he is now partner in AHA, and oversees the business operation. “We are faced with an increasingly complex and rapidly changing healthcare system,” he explains. “There are many nuances to each disease and for each patient. With several new strategies of medical care available via medical innovation, the patient and family need to be fully aware of the remedies offered to them for the most efficient and best care.”

According to the National Advocacy Association, clients are typically people 65 and over, but one quarter are children, he adds. “Our standard customer is an individual who has been successful and is used to having professionals assist him or her. These people are accustomed to having financial advisors, lawyers when needed, bankers, etc. These professionals help them manage their life affairs.

12 Minutes

“People are living longer, and can often have more ailments as they age. They may have a complicated or chronic, medical situation, such as diabetes or heart issues. In previous times, a doctor had an hour to spend explaining the situation to the patient. Now, typically, a physician has 12 minutes to spend with them. The doctor hardly has time to explain the options.”

This is an opportunity for the AHA team to launch into action. In this case, the “First Responder” is the nurse in charge, Danielle Daab. As the program grows, other nurses will be included.

“Danielle was our first hire,” notes Mr. Karlen. “We currently have three nurses on the staff, and we expect this to increase as we expand. The RN can spend two to three hours during the initial visit and complete a comprehensive evaluation and questionnaire about health and family history. It’s an opportunity to get to know the person and their family, and of course, to learn about their medical conditions.”

Affinity Health Advocates will cover the Princeton area, as well as Ocean and Monmouth Counties. The initial evaluation is $150, and if clients sign up for the service, they pay an hourly fee, receiving a monthly bill.

Medical Conditions

“It’s very important to get the word out, and let people know about this important service,” says Mr. Karlen. “My dad is in Oregon, and he has an advocate, Kathy. She’s an important part of his life, and I actually think he prefers to see her more than me! I expect the relationship my dad has with Kathy is what will develop with Danielle and her clients. She will be the valuable consulting person to help them with their most complicated medical conditions. This is making a difference in their lives.

“I’m looking forward to getting letters from families, saying what a help we have been and that they can’t get along without Danielle!”

And, adds Ms. Daab: “The best thing is having an impact on someone’s life and having a good outcome. I love to meet a person and hear about their life and health history and their family situation, and then put all the pieces together to help them. I want to be of service to the patients. It’s important to listen to people.”

“There is really nothing like AHA in the area,” says Mr. Karlen. “In the future, health insurance might even cover this. We think of Affinity Healthcare Advocates as a bridge to better health. We improve the quality of life for our customers and their families through our network of experts.”

AHA is located at 116 Village Boulevard in Forrestal Village, and can be reached at (609) 951-2244. Website:

February 13, 2013

To the Editor:

Your recent article on nepotism in hiring for town positions was interesting to me. I take issue with the opinions of the elected officials as to the propriety of municipal employees hiring members of their families for jobs, particularly choice summer jobs, unless these positions have been equally available and advertised to all residents of Princeton and not the result of “insider information” available to those with that advantage. Perhaps, however, priority should be given to children of Princeton residents and taxpayers. That would seem reasonable to me.

I was impressed last summer to be contacted by a young Princetonian about a summer job through our mutual college vocational bureau. Evidently she wanted to find a job on her own merit, not through the contacts of her family and neighbors. I thought that this was admirable and tried to help her.

Sallie W. Jesser

Prospect Avenue

To the Editor:

The concerns about nepotism in the hiring of individuals to work for the Township could have been avoided if proper procedures were established and adhered to. Government agencies at every level fill positions by advertising in local and area newspapers as well as posting openings internally. To avoid actual or apparent prejudice or favoritism in selection of an individual, written procedures for vetting and selecting applicants must be adhered to.

This does not have to be a lengthy procedure. Its purpose is to ensure that the most qualified person is hired and to provide a record of the proceedings should an applicant challenge the hiring and possibly sue. The cost of one law suit will offset any minor costs involved. Mayor Lempert and Mr. Liverman were wrong in declaring that the hirings were proper. Princeton is not a “mom and pop” operation. In difficult economic times other individuals would probably welcome part-time work to supplement their income. We encourage our new consolidated government to institute and follow policy and procedures which avoid future controversies and improprieties such as this.

Jerry Palin, Sheila Siderman

Bouvant Drive

To the Editor:

On Saturday, February 2, at Nassau Presbyterian Church in Princeton, a group of over 120 young choristers lifted up their voices in song at the Sing with Us! concert that benefited Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Mercer County. The concert epitomized the idea of children helping children.

This amazing group of young singers, in middle and high school (grades 6-12), came from area community music organizations and houses of worship including Princeton United Methodist Church, Princeton Area Homeschool Choir, Nassau Presbyterian Church, American Boychoir, and The Trenton Children’s Chorus. Also lending their considerable talents and passion to the evening were a group of five young music education students from Westminster Choir College of Rider University, as well six students of the Westminster Conservatory.

The singers were led by nationally recognized composer and song leader Nick Page, who has put his unique creative stamp on the model of the sing-along, bringing the chorus and the audience together this night to sing powerful songs from around the world in celebration of many styles and cultures. Accompanying Nick and the chorus were pianist Philip Orr and bassist Sam Ward.

We extend our heartfelt thanks to so many who made this exceptional night happen. Led by co-chairs Sue Ellen Page of Nassau Presbyterian Church and Janet Perkins of Princeton Girlchoir, the Sing with Us! planning team of Lauren Yeh, Lori Woods, Yvonne Macdonald, Maureen Llort. and Denise Hayes made possible a very successful concert, the second in Nassau Presbyterian Church’s acclaimed Nassau Arts series. Also due special thanks are Nassau Presbyterian’s sound engineer, John Baker, and Debbi Roldan, a congregant, and tireless member of the CASA board.

The free will offering taken at the concert raised $2475 to benefit CASA of Mercer County. CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties is a non-profit organization dedicated to serving children in Mercer and Burlington Counties who have been removed from their homes due to abuse and neglect. The mission of our program is that through trained community volunteers, these children will be assigned an advocate in court to ensure they receive needed services while in out-of-home placement and ultimately, a permanent home as quickly as possible.

With our spring training for child advocates just around the corner, we welcome those interested in making a difference in the life of a child. Visit or call (609) 434-0050 for information on upcoming one hour information sessions.

Randall Kirkpatrick

Director of Community Development,

CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties, Ewing

To the Editor:

On behalf of Special Olympics New Jersey, I wish to express my sincere appreciation for the support of Governor Chris Christie and Lieutenant Governor Kim Guadagno with the signing of Bill s1855. This Bill designates our organization as one of the New Jersey Charitable Funds residents may choose to endorse with a donation on their 2012 and 2013 New Jersey State income tax form. A special thank you also is extended to Special Olympics parent and Senate President Stephen Sweeney D-Gloucester, Assemblyman John Burzichelli, D-Gloucester, and Assemblyman Dan Benson, D-Mercer, who championed the passing of this Bill.

Special Olympics New Jersey will field a “Home Team” of 265 athletes with intellectual disabilities to the 2014 USA Special Olympics Games, which will be June 14-21, 2014. Under the new law, taxpayers will be able to include a contribution on their tax returns to the “2014 Special Olympics New Jersey Home Team Fund.” This Bill will provide every New Jersey citizen an opportunity to allocate funds to Special Olympic athletes, who represent communities from across the state, so that they may compete at the highest level.

With the signing of this Bill, Governor Christie, Lieutenant Governor Guadagno, State Senate President Sweeney and many others who helped to pass this legislation have paid the very highest tribute to the Special Olympic athletes of New Jersey in their quest to compete at the highest level and represent the “Home Team.”

Special Olympics New Jersey is proud to host the 2014 Special Olympics USA Games and invites New Jersey citizens from throughout the state to visit www.specialolym to learn more about the Games and to get involved with Special Olympics New Jersey.

We welcome everyone to join in the celebration of GENUINE JERSEY PRIDE and contribute to the “Home Team” as they train for the 2014 USA Games.

Marc S. Edenzon

President, Special Olympics New Jersey

To the Editor:

Four-hundred-plus enthusiastic participants braved the weather Monday, January 28 to attend the 15th annual Princeton Community Works conference held at the Frist Center on the Princeton University campus. Participants from more than 200 non-profit organizations across the state networked and gained insights and information by attending workshops. Our deep gratitude goes to Princeton University for its generosity as our host, to the Princeton Rotary for their significant administrative support, to the 23 workshop presenters who donated their time and talents, and to our keynote presenter, the Princeton Volunteer Fire Department, who shared with us the importance of recruiting, training, trusting, and practicing with your volunteers to ensure your mission is met. I also want to express my sincere appreciation to our dedicated, hard-working, all volunteer operating committee who made this conference a reality.

Marge Smith

Founder and Chair, Community Works

Montadale Drive

To the Editor:

As I prepare to leave the Health Care Ministry (HCM) of Princeton, I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone in the Princeton Community who has supported our work. Those of us who work in the non-profit sector think of ourselves as people who care for others, who serve others, and who support those in need. We don’t think of ourselves first as recipients of caring. Yet if it were not for so many in our community who cared for us, we at the Health Care Ministry would not be able to fulfill our mission of assisting the elderly to remain independent in their homes as long as that is safely possible. If individuals did not give of their time as volunteers, if donors did not give us funding, if foundations did not provide grants, if businesses did not give support, or if other organizations did not partner with us, we would not be able to give.

The board of trustees of the HCM has named Beth Scholz as our new executive director. Beth is very fortunate to work in a community that values service and caring. I’m sure it will not take her long to see and to experience the generosity of the Princeton community.

Thank you for all the support you have given to the Health Care Ministry throughout the 19 years that I have been associated with it.

Carol L. Olivieri

Executive Director