March 26, 2014

To the Editor:

Jo Butler — a lifelong progressive Democrat and dedicated public servant — deserves a second term on the Princeton Council. Her focus on budget details and her commitment to fiscal discipline have already saved tax dollars. In my neighborhood (in the former Township), she is known as a hands-on elected official who cares about preserving Princeton as a diverse community with walkable neighborhoods, a sustainable transportation system, and superb public schools. She is conscientious in responding to constituent concerns. As Borough Council liaison to the Recreation Board, Jo resisted pressure to rush through an unpopular pool design; the resulting collaboration with citizen volunteers preserved green space and a simplicity missing from the original proposal. At the pool dedication, municipal staff praised Jo for bringing to the discussion “a renewed sense of energy and leadership that was crucial to getting the project passed.” When the revaluation left many with steep property tax increases, Jo recruited volunteer professionals to hold information sessions at the library to provide guidance on the tax appeal process.

Jo is fully committed to realizing the benefits of consolidation, which she wholeheartedly supported. Nothing in the factual record supports the silly claim in a recent letter that Jo is an obstructionist and architect of gridlock. According to a recent Planet Princeton article, Council members agreed 94.4 percent of the time in 340 votes taken in the first year of consolidation. Jo voted with the majority 97 percent of the time, as did the two Council members who support her candidacy. This is not a picture of gridlock. The facts show that Democrats on Council have diverse viewpoints and that there are two voting blocs. On issues that have divided Council, Jo has consistently favored greater citizen participation and government accountability. She opposed a proposal to partially privatize and place commercial advertising on the kiosks on Nassau Street. She favored making Council the ultimate authority over the police, favored evaluating a plan for a civilian police director, and has argued that selection of a new chief should be deferred until the litigation risks from the Dudeck matter are fully understood. She has also pressed to find out whether campus or town police will handle sexual assaults or other emergencies in the new Dinky parking lot.

As is common in politics, the bloc opposing Jo, supported by the mayor, hopes to replace her in order to gain a secure majority for its viewpoint, a viewpoint that seems to equate democratic debate with dysfunction. Yet, as the pool example shows, there are key issues on which getting it done right is always preferable to getting it done quickly. Part of getting it done right requires the willingness to listen to and respect the views of constituents. Jo Butler listens.

Virginia Kerr

Jefferson Road

To the Editor:

People often ask, “What’s the back-story behind the effort to oust Jo?” It’s a valid and important question. I believe the backlash against Jo’s strong performance can be traced back to two major points that are never discussed in the whisper campaigns or targeted emails, which instead allude to vague, baffling phrases such as “hard to work with” or “Tea Party tactics.” But the real motives are, in my opinion, much more tangible.

First and foremost was the controversy regarding Princeton’s Conflict of Interest policy. One or more elected officials opposed Jo’s diligent efforts to get the policy in place, imagining that her efforts were somehow directed at them personally. Perhaps some feelings were hurt. But the fact is that Jo needed to ensure that the State of New Jersey’s Ethics Statutes, which are clear and unequivocal on the issue, were upheld within Princeton’s consolidated government, as they always had been within the former Township and former Borough. Jo’s eventual success in instituting the policy is to Princeton’s ongoing benefit, and to Princeton’s credit, and she should be applauded for it.

The second point is that Jo believes she was elected to represent the people of Princeton, not to represent other elected officials. As such, she needs to be able to examine the facts of each issue, and come to her own determination of the best course of action. One highly relevant example of her principled approach occurred on Consolidation Day 2013. Jo was urged to approve Professional Services Contracts for Princeton — which included fee rates and significant budget commitments — yet despite her repeated requests, she was denied access to those very contracts. So she couldn’t — and wouldn’t — approve them. In this issue and similar ones, Jo ends up taking the heat, but she will not be deterred from doing what is best for Princeton’s present and future success.

Studying the issues, asking questions, learning the facts, and taking action, on behalf of all Princetonians. That’s exactly the kind of representative we need on Princeton Council.

Jon Crumiller

Library Place

To the Editor:

I write in support of Sue Nemeth and Bernie Miller for Princeton Council. During more than two-and-a-half years of work on consolidation I came to realize that the most critical element for a successful transition to one Princeton would be the leadership provided by the new mayor and the new council. As in the merging of two companies there is a compelling demand for leadership which has two essential qualities:

1) The desire and the ability to work collaboratively. This is essential in tackling the difficult job of merging our two municipalities — where some profound differences continue to exist. It is important that our leadership be a demonstration of the level of collaboration necessary for successful consolidation, this is essential in tackling the difficult job of merging. Council members must be able to listen to one another and craft balanced solutions on thorny issues. I believe consolidation in Princeton seriously demands a high level of collaboration. In my work with both Sue and Bernie I have experienced them to be thoughtful and committed collaborators.

2.) The ability to inspire respect and confidence by colleagues and staff, the community at large, and the hundreds of people who serve as volunteers on committees, commissions and task forces. They all need to know they are listened to, respected and valued for their service. Yes, council members should ask the tough questions and take strong stands, but they must do so with respect and civility.

I have observed these qualities in Sue Nemeth, who worked with us on a Consolidation Subcommittee, and Bernie Miller, who worked as a trusted colleague on the Consolidation Study Commission. In both cases their ability to inspire our work was profound. Princeton will be well served by these two leaders.

Anton Lahnston,

Former Chair, Princeton Consolidation

and Shared Services Study Commission and

Chair, Princeton Traffic and Transportation Committee

To the Editor:

Even if March finally brings relief from winter’s chill, this spring is sending a shiver down my spine. March is when the monarch butterflies take wing from their small forest enclave in the mountains of Mexico. Their numbers have been dwindling. Since the first count in the 1990s, the overwintering population of monarchs, clustered together on dense evergreen trees, has shrunk from a high of 50 acres down to a mere 1.5 acres of the forest this winter. As the monarchs begin their annual flight north, they have the reproductive capacity to rebound, but they face ever tougher odds.

The monarchs’ fate is literally up in the air. There’s the herbicide that again will be sprayed on more than 150 million acres of Monsanto’s “Roundup Ready” corn in the midwest. Back when tillage was used for weed control, farm fields doubled as pretty good habitat for monarchs. Now, the intense spraying of herbicide-tolerant corn and soybeans has largely exterminated the milkweed the monarch caterpillars cannot survive without.

Also airborne are ever greater numbers of carbon dioxide molecules, drivers of the global weirding that buffets wildlife with increasing extremes of drought, heat, and cold. And there’s the political hot air that spawned an irrational subsidy of ethanol production, which since 2007 has motivated farmers to plow up prairie and roadsides to grow more corn and thereby reduce monarch habitat even more. Since the ethanol produced barely equals the energy required to grow the crops, any societal benefit is dwarfed by the vast loss of habitat in the country’s heartland.

Precious few monarchs visited Princeton last year. details the conditions that could allow them to rebound to some extent. But the worry is that, like the passenger pigeons that disappeared early in the previous century, monarchs may need a critical mass to sustain their miraculous migration. Other than supporting national efforts to restore habitat, and reducing our fossil fuel consumption from gulps down to sips, we can seek to be optimal hosts to whatever monarchs reach our backyards. If you have some sunlit areas, DR Greenway and the farmers market are sources for native milkweed species. In my role as a local naturalist, I collected seeds of local genotypes of milkweed last year and plan to grow and share as many as I can. In a world so focused on extraction and consumption, it will take years of effort, advocacy and luck just to keep what we’ve always taken for granted, and to warm up again the feeling of spring.

Stephen Hiltner

North Harrison Street

TT Matt Trowbridge 3-26-14

“I was hoping to find some older copies of some books that I teach. I did find an older copy of Hamlet. My students have been curious about whether Shakespeare existed, so I was happy to find the Mysterious William Shakespeare, Myth and Reality. And the surprise was a book written by a girl about a school that I went to.”

—Matt Trowbridge, 8th grade English teacher at the Princeton Academy

TT Georgia Whidden 3-26-14

“Some cook books by Marcella Hazan, and I found a book by Edward Lear called The Scroobious Pip, which was my children’s favorite book when they were little. I bought a copy for my grandchildren.”

—Georgia Whidden, Skillman

TT Abigail Naomi Bazar 3-26-14

Abigail: “I was hoping to find some thick books and some mystery books. I was surprised when I found some books that were not as thick but really interesting. I was also trying to find sad books about friendship and I found two.”Naomi: “I was hoping to find some adventure books and books about animal attacks and people who survived. I found some mystery books, and I also found a book about the holocaust.”

—Abigail (left) and Naomi Bazar, Princeton

TT Melissa Kay Mack Connie Escher 3-26-14

Melissa: “I wasn’t looking for anything in particular, I just really like to come to the book sale. I did not find any particular surprises today.”Kay: “I found a garden book that I was looking for and didn’t find yesterday when I was here.”

Connie: “I was looking for wonderful books to augment my classroom library with DK picture books on all subjects, history, art, etc. My surprise book was a very interesting children’s book with reproductions from the 19th and 18th centuries. It is a beautiful, huge book with illustrations from that time.”

—(from left to right) Melissa and Kay Mack, with Connie Escher, 7th grade World History Teacher at John Witherspoon School, Princeton

TT Deborah Westbrook 3-26-14

“Books are treasures to me. This is just a treasure hunt. I enjoy taking a look around and seeing all these wonderful books that are filled with ideas and thoughts and pictures and art. For me it is a total explosion of the mind to come here.”

—Deborah Westbrook, Rocky Hill

TT Anna Gracey Michael McLoughlin 3-26-14

Anna: “I was looking for classics and poetry books. They had a great poetry section. I am excited with the poetry anthology I found.”Michael: “I was hoping to find something unexpected and I did.
I found a book on English poetry and a history book that I’m really excited about.” —Anna Gracey and Michael McLoughlin, Students at The College of New Jersey

March 19, 2014

To the Editor:

The environmental picture at AvalonBay Princeton is growing worse. At the March 10 Council meeting, we learned some disturbing facts. Firstly, that AvalonBay’s tactics of intimidation are still in full swing. Secondly, that Council is following in the footsteps of the Planning Board by limiting the scope of the independent expert and thereby ignoring unresolved issues. Thirdly, that the hospital operated at least two different medical waste incinerators over a period of 40+ years.

[Ira] Whitman, Princeton’s newly hired independent environmental expert, downgraded his initial recommendations to delete lead from the substances for soil testing related to the incinerator. Lead, Mr. Whitman honestly admitted, was negotiated away by AvalonBay, even though it’s a recognized byproduct from medical waste incinerators. Residents and Councilman Simon correctly asked who permitted this negotiation and that Mr. Whitman’s initial unedited recommendations be provided for review. This raises the question whether the town’s previous independent environmental expert, Sovereign, gave in to similar intimidation during AvalonBay’s first application to the Planning Board.

Regarding “Recognized Environmental Conditions” of sewer discharge, facility decommissioning, asbestos, and lead, Mr. Whitman noted on page 6 of his report, “The Municipality of Princeton did not engage me to evaluate this list of environmental conditions.” Why not? With knowledge that the hospital was classified by the EPA as a large quantity generator of hazardous waste, there needs to be testing for hazardous residue on-site from the decades before EPA regulation. As confirmed on March 10, heavy metals do not disappear from the soil.

Our citizens should be entitled to protection of their health, safety, and welfare by independent expertise to supplement our town’s two overburdened engineers. This should mean guidance on all issues during the approvals phase. It should also mean on-site monitoring during demolition. Allowing AvalonBay to direct environmental and demolition decisions would continue the pattern of putting profit before safety. As pointed out by residents, it is Council’s responsibility to ensure public health, safety, and welfare, despite AvalonBay’s financial motivation to limit the scope of testing. The cost of an independent consultant should not be taxpayers’ responsibility, nor should the upgrading of sewers and additional school costs.

Mr. Whitman’s report stated that the incinerator was constructed between 1963 and 1969. During the Council meeting, he agreed with a resident’s presentation of a second incinerator, circa 1948, in a different location. First, AvalonBay didn’t question whether there ever was an incinerator. Then, after resident-discovered evidence, stated that it was used only for burning paper. Then, after more resident-discovered evidence, admitted it was for medical waste. Then, focused on one incinerator, until evidence of a second incinerator.

The pattern seen with the incinerator is telling, but not isolated — a complete lack of trust has resulted. As one of eight plaintiffs from APHS (Association for Planning at Hospital Site), I recognize that Council is paying more attention to environmental issues than the Planning Board ever did, but believe it’s only due to our lawsuit and residents’ involvement in pointing out the ongoing pattern of duplicity. APHS invites concerned residents to support our commitment by contacting us through

Paul Driscoll

Harris Road

To the Editor:

Re pedestrian safety in Princeton: I’m wondering why the red pedestrian “don’t walk” hand controlling the crossing of Washington Road at Prospect Avenue doesn’t automatically change to a white “ok-to-cross” symbol every time cars are given the green light to turn from Prospect onto Washington. It only changes if someone has pushed the entirely inappropriate “push to cross” button.

This is often a very busy pedestrian crossing. Many, many students (and others) don’t bother to push the button, and are then faced with a choice of waiting for another entire light cycle, or crossing against the light in front of turning cars. Guess which one they choose? I have seen several close calls here, and hope the system will be changed before I have the opportunity to say “I told you so.”

Thank you in hopeful anticipation to whoever has the power to remediate this before a tragedy occurs.

Brian Zack

Hageman Lane

To the Editor: 

Beyond a doubt Councilwoman Jo Butler has proven she deserves your consideration and support for another term at the dais. She worked hard representing the former Borough, worked hard to promote consolidation, worked even harder to create a smooth transition to a united Princeton and continues to work hard for the benefit of Princeton residents.

Jo is smart, honest, trustworthy, and not afraid to voice a differing opinion in the interest of fostering discussion and progress. She makes tough decisions and accepts responsibility for those actions. She analyzes problems and seeks avenues to effectuate the best solutions, earning her the respect of many community leaders and activists.

Jo stands for transparency and integrity in government. She is a woman of selfless service using her talents, skills, and experiences ensuring a better Princeton for all. Vote for Jo Butler for Council — it’s a vote for good government and a better Princeton.

Kate Warren

Jefferson Road

To the Editor:

We are writing to urge all members of the Princeton Community Democratic Organization (PCDO) to vote on March 30 for the candidates for Princeton Council.

Those who voted for consolidation of the Princeton governments, and those who live in Princeton, know that the task of consolidating the ordinances and governance of the town is a five-year process and that much work is ongoing and critical to the future of the town.

It is incumbent on the Council and mayor to proceed with those tasks. For that to happen, the Council must be able to act together as contemplated in our democratic form of government. We know from the example in Washington that power plays and polarization lead to gridlock, which leads to the inability of legislative members to consider the issues from a rational point of view.

Our Council seems to have fallen into a polarized and gridlocked mode, where trust is lacking and the work of consolidation is stalled or severely delayed.

We need to support our mayor and to provide for a Council that can operate as it should. For these reasons, we urge Princeton Democrats to participate in the March 30 vote and to support the candidacies of Bernie Miller and Sue Nemeth so that our Princeton Council can get back on the track of consolidating the ordinances and governance of the town.

Julia Bowers Coale, Joseph Stonaker

Nassau Street

To the Editor:

As the former mayor of Princeton Township, I had the unique experience of working with all three candidates in this year’s election for two seats on the Princeton Council and the choice in this election is clear: Bernie Miller and Sue Nemeth are the right team for a functional Princeton Council.

Princeton is poised for great things after consolidation but the tea party tactics of several members of Council have cost taxpayers a considerable amount in legal fees and lost opportunities.

This election isn’t about “an independent voice” versus ‘rubber-stamping’ — it is about how one manages different perspectives and yet collaborates to achieve real progress. Bernie Miller and Sue Nemeth have clearly demonstrated the ability to have different viewpoints but work together effectively and professionally to achieve real results.

Sometimes individually and sometimes together they didn’t agree with all the positions that I held as an elected official, yet they were professional and willing to actively work together to find solutions that benefit the greater community. Princeton desperately needs these skills to ensure effective governance. I urge you to support Bernie Miller and Sue Nemeth at the PCDO and in the upcoming democratic primary.

Chad Goerner

Former mayor — Princeton Township

To the Editor:

I am writing to express my support for Bernie Miller and Sue Nemeth for the Princeton Council. I have worked closely with both and know that they have the experience, skills, and temperament to get the job done for Princeton. In addition, I am impressed by the positive campaign they have run and their vision for Princeton’s future.

Both are strong supporters of the public schools and have a tremendous record of achievement, from environmental protection to sound fiscal management to preserving services for vulnerable residents. Although we have made significant progress toward achieving the goals of consolidation, there is still much more work to do, making this an important election. The upcoming PCDO meeting on March 30 is a terrific opportunity for residents to hear more from the candidates about the challenges ahead and to engage in the endorsement process. I urge residents to attend and learn more.

Heather Howard

Aiken Avenue, Member of Princeton Council

TT Aram Boranian

“Good question. You know why I think it’s important is because Albert Einstein loved beer, so to celebrate his birthday I’m going to have a beer.”

—Einstein look-a-like Aram Boranian, Pennington

TT Dylan McNulty (L) & Alana Bardi (R)

“Because he was an important inventor and scientist.”

—Einstein look-a-like Dylan McNulty (left) Bristol, Pa. and Alana Bardi, Harrisburg, Pa.

TT Kamal Maruf & son

“I think he is an important part of the culture and history, here in Princeton. And just exposing the young kids to what his accomplishments and achievements were, and to his lifestyle, is very important.” —Kamal Maruf and son, Princeton

TT Armaan Vohra (L) & Umang Vohra (R)

“Albert Einstein is important because he is a very famous scientist from Princeton.”

—Armaan Vohra (left) & Umang Vohra, Princeton

March 12, 2014

To the Editor:

It has been my privilege to live in the Princeton Bubble for more than 40 years. It is indeed a very nice place. As with all things, it is not perfect. It does come close, but could come even closer. That is why I support Jo Butler and Bernie Miller for town council.

Princeton was very good as separate town and township. The merger can also be good, but it needs Jo Butler and Bernie Miller’s fiscal tenacity and good judgment to be really good; else, we’ll just get “good enough.”

The University’s Arts campus will be nice, but it could have been truly world class had the Arts embraced a sustainable mobility system rather than simply shoving the Dinky down the hill to get it out of the way of a new access road to a parking garage. This is an insult to sustainable planning and the antithesis of world class. What a shame!

Jo and Bernie worked hard trying to make it world class. Unfortunately, they came up short, but they really tried. Consequently, I am confident that they are the right people to make the best out of “not as good as should be” situations. While many of us walk and bike, even in Princeton, more than 80 percent of our trips are taken in cars; an overwhelming majority with just a driver. As a percentage of all trips in Princeton, those taken by the FreeBee, University Buses and NJT buses are less than the measurement error in the trip estimation process. At some point, when we finally become serious about sustainability, we’ll need to really confront how we all get around in Princeton. Jo and Bernie certainly have a track record of really trying to find the best way. They deserve our vote to keep trying.

Alain L. Kornhauser

Western Way

To the Editor:

I am writing in support of Jo Butler’s candidacy for Princeton Council. I had the privilege of serving with Jo on Princeton Borough Council for two years. Jo is an extremely intelligent, hard-working, and thoughtful person. On Council, Jo did her homework and was always prepared to discuss the issues at hand. Jo and I did not always agree on the solution to every problem or issue that came before us; this is good. Princeton is now a one-party town governance-wise, and discussion and debate of issues is very important. The last thing that is needed is a Council that will act in unison all of the time. The people of Princeton will not be well served if that should happen. Yes, discussion and debate take time, but it is time well spent and it is good government in action. As I recall from my high school history lessons this is the principle on which our system of government is based. I urge you to support Jo in the upcoming endorsement process.

Barbara Trelstad

Former Borough Council President

To the Editor:

Mark Laris, editor in chief of the Stanford Daily, who worked with Liz Lempert, said she was organized and responsible, with a good sense of what was important. Could it be that five years of political involvement have made these good qualities go away? Has the sweet taste of power gone to her head? Is there something that she needs to prove?

I want to believe that our mayor is still a person of integrity, who has some of the same qualities that she now considers interfering and bothersome. She says that she is not campaigning as there are many things that need attention, which is difficult to believe when we all know that she was part of the attempted ousting of one of the Council members of her own party.

What is left, after impulsivity won over common sense, is a Council divided not by ideologies but by inflated egos, used to making decisions behind closed doors, without interruptions, even from the people who voted for them or from the others who are working hard, checking details, and becoming knowledgeable about the issues, in order to find the fairest of all solutions.

Jo Butler, whose record shows a host of accomplishments, is a brilliant and honest person who offers strategies and is willing to compromise for the good of this town.

Time has come for Republicans in Princeton to run again, and add some diversity to the Council because I don’t want Council members who feel they have to always be on the good side of the mayor, and I don’t want a mayor and council members manipulated by former mayors who cannot let go. I don’t want a mayor who will always break the tie, siding with her group. Because we already know how the voting will go in every single town meeting from now on. I don’t want a herd of lambs, I want people who are not scared and who are ready to fight for this town, I want lions. And this is why my vote is going for Jo Butler.

Sandra Jordan

Grover Avenue

TT Cate Litvack

“Favorite stores, I like Ricchard’s Shoes, Jane, Greendesign with all the environmentally friendly items on Witherspoon Street, Lisa Jones, and The Corkscrew. For lunch I like many places. I like Mistral, Mediterra, and Teresa’s, Qdoba, and Taste of Mexico behind Cox’s Market. I do love Mexican food.” —Cate Litvack, Princeton

TT Julian Drezner

“jaZams and Labyrinth Books. I like Panera and Qdoba, I like them for both lunch and dinner.” —Julian Drezner, Princeton
TT Jennifer Mc Bride
 “Some of my favorite stores are the Princeton Record Exchange, Shop the World at the Salty Dog, and Jane. I like to go for lunch at the Ivy Inn, their burgers and salads are fantastic, or I like to go to Olives.” —Jennifer McBride, Princeton
TT Erin Volpe Geena Fram
Erin: “My favorite stores to shop are Mandalay and Princeton Record Exchange. I like Say Cheese and then to go to Halo Pub for ice-cream.”
Geena: “I like to shop at the Princeton Record Exchange. Our new favorite place to eat is Say Cheese, where Zorba Grill used to be, and I like the Bent Spoon.” —Erin Volpe, Pennington (left) and Geena Fram, LawrencevilleTT Tim Lynch Claire NielsenTim: “We both love The Running Store and Labyrinth Book Store. We like to eat at Olives and also Chez Alice on Palmer Square. They both have really good wraps and salads. We both like Halo Pub for ice cream.”
Claire: “ We like Agricola for dinner and we are looking forward to trying out their brunch.”
—Tim Lynch, Princeton, and Claire Nielsen, New York City

To the Editor:

Several times over the past 30 years, a few homeowners on Madison Street, a one-block long tree-lined road of mostly small private residences in the center of what used to be Princeton Borough, have applied to the Borough zoning board for a variance that would permit them to park their cars in front of their porches — that is, on their front lawns. In each case, many neighbors on Madison Street turned out for the hearing to oppose these petitions, and each time the Borough zoning board decisively denied them. As a result, in the one instance in which a front lawn was already being used illegally for parking, the lawn is green again.

The most recent case, while there was still a Princeton Borough, occurred in July, 2012, and the zoning board voted unanimously to deny the homeowner’s petition. In this case, however, the homeowner saw an opportunity to try again after the vote for consolidation and the creation of a new, combined borough/township zoning board. The case was decided again on the evening of February 26, 2014, and this time, although none of the facts of the case had changed, it was decided in favor of the homeowner. We, her neighbors, can look forward to the loss of the tree, four rhododendron and several other bushes in her front yard, to be replaced by a car in a parking space taking up most of the small yard. The vote was four to three, and all the votes in favor came from former members of the Township Zoning Board. The two members of the board from the Borough voted against, as did one member from the Township. The overall current board membership consists of three residents of the former Borough and six residents of the former Township.

This, we fear, is a harbinger of other decisions to come under consolidation that will negatively affect the quality of life of those of us who live in what used to be Princeton Borough.

Steven Weiss, Martha Himmelfarb,

Tom Regan, Inge Regan, Daniel Freidan

Residents of Madison Street

FINANCIAL FINESSE: “The advice I would give to everyone is to come to a qualified professional with experience and a good reputation. We distinguish ourselves from other CPA firms by offering personalized one-on-one service.” Thomas McNulty, CPA, looks forward to helping clients with their financial needs.

FINANCIAL FINESSE: “The advice I would give to everyone is to come to a qualified professional with experience and a good reputation. We distinguish ourselves from other CPA firms by offering personalized one-on-one service.” Thomas McNulty, CPA, looks forward to helping clients with their financial needs.

No one wants to think about it, but it’s on the way! Even in the midst of winter, we are one day closer to April 15 — the day procrastinators love to ignore.

Nevertheless, it’s getting closer, and if the thought makes you nervous, help is at hand. Thomas McNulty CPA, LLC is a certified public accountant with a master’s degree in taxation. He has practiced for 17 years, and currently has offices at 20 Nassau Street.

“Originally, I was in marketing, but then I realized I wanted to make a change,” says Mr. McNulty. “I had always done well in accounting, and liked the process of keeping track of debits and credits. I became a licensed CPA in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and then went to graduate school and got a master’s degree in taxation at the University of Philadelphia. Now, I specialize in small business accounting, helping to relieve clients of the financial headaches of their daily business. This includes bookkeeping, business strategies and planning, business structure, and taxes.”

Mr. McNulty’s clients include a variety of small businesses and individuals as well as those for whom he provides tax help.

Profit and Loss

“I work on a regular basis with my target market, preparing a monthly financial statement to include profit and loss, balance sheet, and a general ledger. If a company needs to get a loan, banks want to see that statements have been checked by a licensed CPA, and that the certified financial statements adhere to the generally accepted accounting principles.

“In addition, I do taxes for 400 individuals and 30 different organizations and companies in the Princeton area and beyond.”

Mr. McNulty has many clients of long-standing, and often if they have moved to a new location, such as California or even overseas, they still retain his services. “My clients are really a mix of people — all ages and backgrounds. They include Princeton University students and foreign students, as well as older people. I help them and plan strategies for them. All my clients are valuable to me, whatever their income level and financial situation. I treat everyone the same.

“When it comes to accounting, most people, even when they’re very smart, are off the grid. I help them to get back on the grid, and try to make sure they don’t veer off. I assist them with budgeting, financial analyzing, and I also partner with the best local financial companies to set up a financial plan and investment strategy appropriate to my clients’  goals. I also help with start up business planning.”

Mr. McNulty also points out that continuing education is part of his job focus, and this includes 40 hours a year. Business rules and regulations can change, as well as the tax code.

“I look forward to the tax season,” he says. “It’s important to help people through it. I try to help them save on their income tax legally. Also, I find that a big factor in the business is with people who have gone to companies such as H & R Block, whose employees are really part-timers. Their customers often ultimately pay more in additional fees or in correcting mistakes. I get clients who have done this, and I need to fix their returns. There are also people who try to do it on their own, and it gets too complicated, and then, they come to me. According to a study done by the U.S. government, 77 percent of all tax payers believe that they benefitted by using the services of a professional tax preparer.”

Solid Foundation

Mr. McNulty is especially busy from February right up to tax time in April. “The real challenge is that I’m hit with an enormous amount of work in a very short time, but I welcome the opportunity to help people. Overall, I really enjoy helping clients succeed in life and to reach the goals they want to achieve. I lay out the framework and a solid foundation for them to get there.”

He looks forward to becoming part of the Princeton community and building his practice further. “I want to be like the the family physician of old whom you could always count on to be there for you. I believe I am set apart by my background and education, experience, and the continuing education I participate in. And also, the fact that I work with the best local professionals in the U.S. is a plus.

“I look forward to growing the business, helping more clients, and keeping the impeccable reputation I have established. Helping clients to keep their finances in order, and put systems in place in which they can grow their own business and lead to further job creation is my priority.

“Also, we realize that money is tight in these tough economic times. To accommodate our customers and make our services more affordable, we may be able to provide you with several different payment options and a plan that suits your budget.”

Mr. McNulty is available by appointment Monday through Friday (seven days during tax time). (609) 497-1040. Website:

March 5, 2014

TT Agnieszka Wright

“I think that one of the most inspiring women in America is Michelle Obama. I truly admire her campaign, Let’s Move, which puts emphasis on healthy nutrition and physical activity.  Her efforts to inspire young people to take care of themselves will be very important and beneficial to our future generations.” — Agnieszka Wright, Lawrenceville 

TT Hannah Maclean

“One of the first women who comes to mind is Elizabeth Jennings.  She was sort of the Rosa Parks for New York City, about 100 years before Rosa Parks. She was one of the pioneers of desegregation in New York.” — Hannah Maclean, Lawrenceville

TT Donna Watkins (l) & Lynn Florio (r)

Donna: “Nancy Regan is a very influential woman and I was proud of the way she stood up for her husband.”
Lynn: “Well, in modern history I think Michelle Obama is extremely important.  I think her husband came in with a lot of high hopes for making changes, and I think he immediately stepped into a pair of cement boots with our Congress, and I think that has really made him stumble.   But I feel that Michelle Obama has been a real bright spot for optimism in our country.” — Donna Watkins (left) and Lynn Florio, both Allentown

TT Aniek Hoevers (l) & Becky Kazenoff

Aniek: “Miley Cyrus, because she doesn’t care what anyone thinks and just wants to be herself.”
Becky: “I also find Miley Cyrus inspiring.  I love her songs.  They’re all about expressing yourself, and even though people think she is a bad influence, I do not agree.” —  Aniek Hoevers and Becky Kazenoff, both Princeton 

To the Editor:

Many Princeton residents have already written of Jo Butler’s incredible work ethic, her quest for sufficient information to make truly informed decisions, and her insistence on open and accountable government.

Jo has the analytical and financial skills developed as she earned her MBA, and they were honed in business and three plus years on Borough and Town Council. Every one of her three years on these Councils has seen a flat or reduced tax rate versus the prior year. Jo combines these skills with the understanding of people and staff required in her day job as an executive recruiter.

Jo was a member of four subcommittees of the Transition Task Force during 2012 — the year before consolidation. This was more than any other Council member or current candidate, thoroughly grounding Jo in all facets of our new Town’s government, strategic objectives, staff, and operations.

I had the pleasure of working with Jo on the Infrastructure and Operations (Public Works and Engineering) Subcommittee. As an example of Jo’s concern for residents’ needs, a proposal was put forward that would have drastically reduced branch and leaf pickup in the narrow streets of central Princeton, including the downtown “tree streets.” Jo was one of only 2-3 people in the room (committee members, municipal staff and other observers) who spoke up and objected. Jo developed this empathy and understanding by going door to door and listening to people’s concerns in her prior run for Council. The result was a compromise pickup schedule close to what it had been before, balancing cost and service.

Please join the Princeton Community Democratic Organization by March 16, and vote to endorse Jo Butler on March 30.

Library Place

To the Editor:

It is truly my pleasure to write a letter of support for Bernie Miller and Sue Nemeth for Princeton Council. It is not easy to always find the right people to want to take on the duties, time commitment and obligations that are associated with the job of Council person. I have known Bernie and Sue for many years. I have had the pleasure of serving with both of them on our past local governing board. I cannot say enough of how detailed and engaged Bernie and Sue where when faced with many challenging issues.

It is not enough for a Council person to ask questions, but the real key to successful governing is to find a solution to the problem. Bernie and Sue specialize in solution and problem solving. The many major issues facing Princeton such as: property taxes, affordable housing, infrastructure repair, debt reduction and prioritizing our future capital expenses will be in capable hands with Bernie and Sue.

As a tax payer I want to place on Council people that represent all of our interests. When I lie down at night I want to continue to feel that my children and family are protected by a wonderful police department that is supported by full council. As a child who was part of Princeton’s 1960s busing plan to integrate our schools, I was always taught that Princeton was a unique and caring town. Bernie and Sue are two people that I trust that can continue to restore a faith in local government. Princeton has been and should continue to be the leader in social justice issues. Bernie and Sue are dedicated, smart, approachable, honest, witty, caring, hardworking, and advocates for a truly inclusive Princeton community. Please join me and support Bernie and Sue.

Lance Liverman

Princeton Councilman

To the Editor:

Saturday, February 22, was a beautiful sunny day, with the town crowded and people enjoying the sun. It was about 2:30 when I was returning home after doing some errands, and as I approached the corner of Nassau and Witherspoon Streets I noticed a number of people who had the right of way were crossing the street and I noticed how many cars across from me were trying to turn right.

Since the light was red, obviously I had to wait, and when the light turned green with the arrow indicating that I could go, I proceeded to turn onto Witherspoon Street. When the people on the corners also began to move I blew my horn to indicate that I had the right of way — the hand signal was still showing. A man weaved in front of my car, hit it and began to yell at me about how I was supposed to stop. I had been trying to avoid hitting him and cautious about moving out of his way and possibly hitting someone else. I informed him that the hand signal was still showing and that pedestrians were to wait for the walk sign. He continued to stand in front of my car yelling that it did not matter that the light indicated that they were not to go, that I was supposed to stop. While he continued his threats, another man banged on my windshield, then came around to my side to say that they should call the police and take my license. The man next to my door showed me something that looked like a credit card and told me that he is a policeman. If I had thought of it, I would have called the police myself so that they could witness two people who clearly were more show than substance.

I suppose both men were showing their authority by bullying me for almost two minutes. I kept telling them that they were holding up traffic and to let me by, but to no avail. When they finally moved, though continuing to yell at me, I proceeded down Witherspoon Street and, as I always do, stopped at the two intersections — at Spring Street and by the library to give the pedestrians the right of way. I also stopped two extra times for people who were jaywalking across Witherspoon Street.

After I stopped by my church, I went to the Princeton Police station to give a report to the dispatcher who reported my concern. I wish to thank Captain Nicholas K. Sutter who agreed to meet with me. He already had the report that I gave the day of the incident and he took the time to talk with me about the measures that have been taken to assure both pedestrian and drivers’ rights.

I am disheartened at the arrogance of those who come to Princeton thinking that they are above the law. There is a jaywalking law here and there is still respect for others here. Both should be observed and followed!

Shirley A. Satterfield

Quarry Street

To the Editor:

People who buy houses on the Ridge that have basements may not realize that they are sitting on extremely hard rock that requires blasting. Because we built our own house (or had it built while we watched), we were aware that it sat on solid rock (basaltic magma, I believe) that required blasting in order to put in the basement foundation. The blasting crew charged $50 a blasting minute (50 or more years ago) so we have a lovely basement with high windows on two sides. (That was in an era when $50 was a much bigger number than it is today.)

At any rate, it might be wise to consider the ramifications of blasting through the Ridge before making a commitment.

Carolyn Q. Wilson

Stuart Road

A  new look for a new year is available at Sofia Lido Salon and Blow Out Bar.

Everything from trimmed bangs to blow dry to highlights to tint backs to formal up-dos to CHI relaxers, as well as waxing treatments is offered at this brand new salon.

Located in the Shoppes at Pennington, 21 Route 31 North, it is owned by stylist Bernadette Reed, and opened in January.

“I am so encouraged,” says Ms. Reed. “I have really been surprised by how quickly customers have found us. I already have a growing clientele. Also, this is an excellent location. I looked for a place for quite a while. This is great. It is new, and very well
maintained. There is also a lot of foot traffic here.”

The arrival of Sofia Lido on the hair salon scene has a unique history. Ms. Reed’s previous career could not have been more different. After graduating from college, she worked as an institutional equity sales trader on Wall Street, and was a survivor of the attack on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

New Perspective

“This changed my outlook, and gave me a new perspective,” she explains. “I wanted to do something else. I had always enjoyed getting my hair done, and was interested in hair stying. I have difficult hair. It’s very curly and frizzy. So, I decided to enroll in Concord Cosmetology School in Ocean Township. I thought I’d give it a try and see if I liked it.”

After the 10-month course, Ms. Reed received a license from the state board of cosmetology, and worked for several years at a salon in Marlboro. “That was a very good experience,” she recalls, “and I got a lot of continuing education in cutting and color.”

She is now a Redken-trained colorist and stylist, and has completed advanced training in Matrix, Colorly, Goldwell, and Socolor color systems. She is also certified in the John Sahag dry cutting method, and has had extensive training and experience in the CHI Japanese straightening and Keratin straightening systems. She is enthusiastic about having her own salon and the opportunity to share her expertise with customers.

“There are so many aspects to this work,” she notes. “I think the salon is set apart by my training and my love for what I do. I really enjoy the blow out. It’s very creative. You can create so many looks, and that is why I decided to have the Blow Out Bar, offering a variety of different blow out opportunities.”

Fashion Statement

In any salon today, of course, it’s all about color. Coloring hair is seemingly for everyone — almost all ages, and men as well as women. Although it is still often to cover gray, its use has gone far beyond that. In many cases, it has beome a fashion statement.

“Color is very big,” says Ms. Reed. “People are using hair color at younger and younger ages. Some people actually change color with the seasons. Spring and summmer tend to be lighter with highlights. Winter can be darker with lowlights. The ombre look is still seen for longer hair, but it’s not quite as popular as it once was.

“We offer both ammonia-free and low ammonia color choices. I like to use foils for highlights. I like the end results. Also, color products have a lot of conditioners today.”

She adds that when considering hair color changes, it is important to take into account the client’s natural hair color and skin tone. “People tend to go lighter as they get older because their skin tone changes. And most clients are trying to achieve a natural look. Another thing, some people are also opting for Tint Back — a return to a darker color, either with a complete change or by removing highlights.”

Regarding styles and cuts, choices are very varied and individualized, reports Ms. Reed. “We are seeing a lot of long to short — you see this with some celebrities including Jennifer Lawrence and Anne Hathaway. There are many techniques for cutting. But, of course, long hair is never out of style. Generally, people with curly hair want to have it straightened. We offer straightening techniques, including CHI Japanese straightening and keratin straightening, with no formaldehyde.”

Easy maintenance is always desirable, but Ms. Reed points out there is no such thing as no maintenance. Most people at least blow dry their hair at a minimum. “The point is we help to educate our clients about caring for their hair, showing them the correct way to blow-dry. etc.”

Special Savings

In addition to hair service, Sofia Lido offers a variety of waxing treatments, including eye brow, lip, chin, neck, ears, and sideburns, beginning at $5.

Women’s hair cuts are $60, wash and blow-dry $35, blow dry only (arrive with hair washed and wet) $25, and a variety of other blow dry packages is offered. Children’s cuts (10 and under) are $25, and men’s $30. Single process color is $60, highlights $85. Special savings packages are available, and a 10 percent discount is offered for clients 65 and older.

In addition, the salon offers baby sitting opportunities. As Ms. Reed explains, “We work directly and exclusively with The Village Leaning Center in Pennington. They offer our clients a discounted hourly rate of $12. The Village Learning Center is a half mile away from the salon.”

Not only is Ms. Reed delighted with the successful opening weeks of the salon, the clients are equally pleased. As one new customer, who had come in by chance, noted: “I am very happy. I love the way my hair looks, and I am impressed with the care and attention to detail that Bernadette provided. I will definitely come back!”

Ms. Reed looks forward to introducing many more clients to Sofia Lido and offering them high quality service. (609) 737-7770. Website:

Jane Brady, Owner/Audiologist

Jane Brady, Owner/Audiologist

“I  love working with people and helping them to hear better. The technology has changed incredibly, and there are so many hearing enhancement device choices and styles today. These can help individuals to hear better, thus helping with relationships, helping them at home, and at work.”

Dr. Jane Brady AuD, owner of Horizon Audiology, wants people to be aware of the many opportunities available to help them correct hearing loss.

Although wearing glasses is commonplace for the millions of people with vision impairment, and few resist wearing glasses, many people hesitate to obtain a hearing aid. Whether it is associated with the aging process or they are reminded of their grandfather’s bulky and often malfunctioning device, there is a decided reluctance for many even to investigate the possibility of a hearing aid.

The fact is, however, that hearing loss is occurring at younger ages than in the past and for various reasons, points out Dr. Brady. “We are definitely seeing more hearing loss at younger ages. Even with teens, there can be early signs. The very loud music young people listen to has been a factor. Hearing loss can also be a result of illnesses, such as diabetes, cancer, and childhood illnesses. I have patients from newborns to geriatric, and my typical patient is a Baby Boomer in his or her 50s or 60s.”

Distinct Differences

Dr. Brady, who has a doctorate in audiology, has been practicing for 21 years. She opened her own practice at Horizon Audiology at the Medical Arts Building on the Princeton-Hightstown Road (Route 571) in East Windsor in 2007.

Prior to opening her own practice, she had worked in Princeton with physicians, and she is aware of the medical issues that may be a factor in hearing loss. She sees patients of various ages from all over the Princeton area, and Dr. Brady has noticed distinct differences both in her patients’ motivations and expectations.

“It is important to know how the different generations are wired and what they expect. Baby Boomers have a mindset of wanting things to be fixed — whether it is a shoulder or knee problem from sports, or hearing loss. Also, you can’t assume about someone’s life-style because of their age. Ask them questions. People of all ages are living very diverse life-styles. Ask what they do and what their weekends are like. Do they travel? Attend lectures? Concerts? A person may be a teacher or business executive; their situation and environment can vary and be a factor in their level of hearing frustration.”

Noisy environments obviously create more stress than if one works in a library, for example.

Best Style

When a person decides to consult an audiologist, either as a referral from a physician or as a result of their own decision, the hearing professional will test and evaluate their hearing and then discuss the results.

Even if someone has decreased hearing, they may not yet need a hearing aid. If the hearing loss is significant, however, a device may be indicated. Dr. Brady works with them to determine the best style for their needs.

“Certain types of devices are better for certain people,” she explains. “The fit of the ear, if there are medical conditions, their sensitivity to the device are all factors. Dexterity can be another issue. Someone might have vision problems or arthritis and have difficulty operating the device. It also depends on their level of frustration and what their preconceived notions may be. Some people don’t want any fuss. The New Lyric device is inserted into the ear by the audiologist and stays there, and then is replaced when necessary. The client never has to think about it.

“The audiologist chooses the minimum level of technology that will help the person hear better.”

Hearing aids vary in cost, anywhere from $900 to $2000, depending on the level of technology.

Continuing Education

Dr. Brady, who is board certified and a Fellow of the American Academy of Audiology, is very involved with continuing education, attending classes and seminars to keep up with the latest advances and trends in the industry.

“The technology changes so rapidly, with state-of-the art advances coming along all the time. Now there is a tiny computer to adjust the sound level of a hearing aid. In the beginning of my practice, I used to do that with a mini screw driver! I even see a time when we can do adjustments over the phone — tele-audiology.

“It is an amazing time, and our level of service keeps up with all the new developments. Helping our patients is always uppermost for me and my staff. There are three audiologists and our office management staff, who are all so knowledgeable and dedicated to serving the patient.”

In addition, Dr. Brady provides services for the community, including free screenings at health fairs, and volunteering at “Ask the Doctor” programs at senior centers.

“It is important for patients to realize that if they are having a problem with hearing loss, we are here to help them. They can call an audiologist on their own without a doctor’s referral.”

Horizon Audiology offers a full range of quality hearing aids from many manufacturers. It is open Monday through Friday 8:30 am. to 4 p.m., and every other Saturday.

Call (609) 448-9730 or visit them online at