Jane Marvel Cooper of Newtown, Pa., formerly of Princeton, died October 26 peacefully at Pennswood Village, surrounded by her family. The cause was complications of Parkinson’s Disease.
She was a poet, professor, and Poet-in-Residence Emerita at Sarah Lawrence College.
Daughter of the late John C. Cooper Jr. and Martha Marvel Cooper, and sister of the late Rachel C. Baker, all formerly of Princeton, she was born in Atlantic City in 1924. She spent her early childhood in Jacksonville, Fla. before moving with her family to Princeton in the mid-1930s. There she went to Miss Fine’s School where, in her senior year, she won the Leslie Shear Poetry Prize for two works, “We are the Generation of War” and “I have Sung Solitary Various Worlds.”
She attended Vassar College from 1942 to 1944 and earned a B.A. from the University of Wisconsin in 1946. She joined the faculty of Sarah Lawrence College in 1950, where she remained as a teacher and poet in residence until her retirement in 1987. Over that period, together with Grace Paley, Jean Valentine, Muriel Rukeyser, and others, she helped develop and enhance a writing program that became one of the most distinguished in the country.
In 1953-54 she took a year off to earn her M.A. at the University of Iowa, where she studied with Robert Lowell and John Berryman.
She received much recognition in her lifetime including awards from the Guggenheim Foundation, Ingram Merrill Foundation, National Endowment for the Arts, Bunting Institute, and the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
Ms. Cooper maintained her links with Princeton over the years, but she lived most of her adult life in New York City. She also spent several summers at Yaddo and the McDowell Colony, working on her own poetry. Her first book, The Weather of Six Mornings, appeared in 1969 and was followed at intervals by four others: Maps and Windows (1974), Scaffolding: Selected Poems (1984), Green Notebook, Winter Road (1994), and The Flashboat: Poems Collected and Reclaimed (2000). She was named State Poet of New York for 1995-97.
She is survived by a brother, John C. Cooper III of Tucson, Ariz. and many nephews, nieces, and grandnieces. There will be a service at All Saints’ Church on Saturday, November 3 at 1 p.m.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be sent to the Immune Deficiency Foundation, 40 West Chesapeake Avenue, Suite 308, Towson, Md. 21204.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.
Leonard Rutson Hunt, 70, of Skillman, died October 15 at Jersey Shore Medical Center, Neptune.
Born in Princeton, he had lived in the Princeton area all of his life. He was a 1955 graduate of Princeton High School.
He learned his trade as a master carpenter with his brother at Hunt and Augustine Builders. Later he founded L.R. Hunt and Associates of Skillman in 1978. He was involved in building more than 400 custom homes in the Princeton area, including the restoration of Tulane Barn.
He was a 60-year member of the Blawenburg Reformed Church, having held positions as deacon, elder, and vice president of Consistory. He was on the board of trustees of Trenton Habitat for Humanity and head of its construction committee. He served as a past fire chief of the Blawenburg Fire Company, Station No. 46. He was also a member of the Delaware Valley Businessmen’s Association and member of the New Jersey Association of Builders.
He served in the Army National Guard, and was an usher at the Great Auditorium of Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association.
Son of the late Marvin and Margaret Hunt, husband of the late Ruth Rodenberger Hunt, and grandfather of the late Cynthia Carol Weingart, he is survived by his wife, Sonya Hunt; a son, Tim Hunt of Wilmington, N.C.; a daughter, Sue Weingart of Belle Mead; a step-son, Justin Geisel of Richmond, Va.; a step-daughter, Janelle Werdesheim of Studio City, Calif.; a brother, Raymond Hunt of Skillman; and nine grandchildren.
The funeral was October 19 at the Blawenburg Reformed Church, Blawenburg. Burial was in Blawenburg Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to Blawenburg Reformed Church, P.O. Box 266, Blawenburg 08504; or to Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association Now and Forever Fund, P.O. Box 248, Ocean Grove, N.J. 07756.
James Scott Hill, 83, a 50-year resident of Princeton, died peacefully October 23, surrounded by his family.
Raised in Rye, N.Y., he was a graduate of Deerfield Academy, Williams College, and Columbia Law School. During World War II, he served as a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Corps in the Pacific. Following his later completion of college and law school, he began his legal career as an associate with the Wall Street firm Mudge, Rose, Guthrie & Alexander. He then joined Johnson & Johnson as an attorney and corporate secretary, and as counsel to the Johnson families. In that capacity, he helped create the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the J. S. Johnson, Sr. Charitable Trusts, which he served for several decades as trustee. While at Johnson & Johnson he also served as a judge for Princeton Township.
Mr. Hill later served in senior legal positions either as General Counsel or Chief Legal Officer with four Fortune 100 corporations, including Celanese, the Liggett Group, American Hospital Supply, and CBS. He was an active member of many professional organizations, including the Association of General Counsel and the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. In 1981, at 57, he returned to the private practice of law, first with Shanley & Fisher in Morristown and then with Smith, Stratton, Heher, Wise & Brennan in Princeton.
He was a warden of Trinity Church, and helped create — and then served as chairman of the board of — the Trinity Counseling Service. He was also a trustee of the American Boychoir School and New Jersey State Aquarium, and, for more than 40 years, the Princeton Medical Center.
He was chairman of the Williams College Development Council, also serving two five-year terms as president of Williams’ Class of 1945; founding chairman of Deerfield Academy’s Frank L. and Helen Childs Boyden Society; chairman of the Lawrenceville School Head Master’s Council; and on the Executive Committee of the Friends of the Institute for Advanced Study. With his wife, he created the Sally & Jim Hill Foundation, which has supported and will continue to support many non-profit organizations locally and globally.
He loved travel (reaching all seven continents), golf, bridge, the Yankees, and time spent with his family and many friends.
He is survived by his four children, Richard, Chessye, Cynthia, and Michael; and by 12 grandchildren.
A memorial service was held at Trinity Church October 29.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Trinity Counseling Service, 22 Stockton Street, Princeton 08540.
Arrangements were by the Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.
John G. Peterson, 56, of West Windsor, died October 23 in the Merwick Rehabilitation and Care Center.
Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., he was raised in Bellmore, N.Y. He had been a resident of West Windsor for 14 years.
A graduate of Hofstra University, he was employed with various companies, for the last few years with Thermo Fisher Scientific Company of Morris Plains.
He was an avid golfer and a fan of the Yankees and Giants.
Son of the late Karl and Elena Peterson, he is survived by his wife, Ann Murphy Peterson of West Windsor; a daughter, Shannon Peterson of Van Nuys, Calif.; two sons, Bryan Peterson of Turnersville and Michael Peterson of West Windsor; and a sister, Jane Collins of Laguna Niguel, Calif.
The funeral was October 26 at The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home. A Mass of Christian burial was celebrated at St. Paul’s Church.
Burial was in Lawrenceville Cemetery.
Return to Top | Go to People