||Subscribe to our newsletter|
Vol. LXV, No. 43
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
John Cathro Seed, MD, of Princeton, died October 17 at the Princeton Care Center following a long illness.
Born at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. on February 26, 1922, he was the first child of Frances Cathro and Lincoln Seed, MD. He was raised in the Chicago suburb of Oak Park, Ill. and educated in the public school system.
He attended Princeton University from 1939 to 1942, leaving at the end of his junior year to attend Harvard Medical School. After graduating from medical school in 1945, he served as an intern at the Massachusetts General Hospital, subsequently fulfilling his military requirements at the Army Chemical Warfare Center in Edgewood Arsenal, Md.
There, he met and married Pauline Sullivan, a former professor of Northeastern University who headed the Mycology Section of the Center.
Following a brief stint with Sterling Winthrop, he joined Burroughs Wellcome (1954-1962), where his work focused on medication for the treatment of pain and the development of computer models of metabolic homeostasis. In addition, he held a research position in the department of anesthesiology at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center from 1956-1967, and began his association with Calvary House in 1955. The latter was a Catholic facility in the Bronx that provided care for terminally ill indigents. In a pioneering approach to end-of-life care, he worked to transform the treatment of terminal stage cancer patients, emphasizing not only the effective control of pain, but also the integrated treatment of the social and emotional needs of the patients and their families.
During this time, he reorganized Calvary House into Calvary Hospital and secured its accreditation. The Hospital became a center for the treatment of the most difficult to manage terminal cancers in the New York City area, especially those of the head and neck. In recognition of his effort, he was awarded the Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice Medal by Pope John Paul the 23rd in 1962. In 1965, he left Calvary Hospital and spent the next 15 years providing medical care to the poor in association with the Martin Luther King Jr. Health Center on 169th Street in New Yorks South Bronx.
From 1963 to 1985 he also held the position of Visiting Lecturer and Research Associate in the Department of Electrical Engineering at Princeton University, where he taught evening classes and conducted research on computer applications in medicine. He also lectured on Public Health, Community Health, and Preventative Medicine at Cornell University Medical College (1956-1970) and Albert Einstein College of Medicine (1967-1983). In 1980, he entered private practice in the Princeton area.
Following the death of Pauline in 1995 after 46 years of marriage, he married Ruth Velikovsky Sharon in 2000.
He is survived by his wife, Ruth; his brothers, Randolph and Richard; his sister, Linda; four children; and seven grandchildren.
Services were held on October 22 at the Kimble Funeral Home, followed by a funeral mass at St. Pauls Church. Burial took place in the family plot in Princeton Cemetery.
A wake also took place at the funeral home on October 21.
To extend condolences, please visit TheKimbleFu
Elizabeth S. Cziffra, 73, died October 11 at the University Medical Center at Princeton after a long struggle against a combination of lung problems and genetic liver disease.
Born in New Brighton, Pa. on November 19, 1937, she moved with her parents, the late Edwin F. and Thelma D. Stenglin, to Phoenix, Ariz. in 1944. There, she attended the Sunnyslope School and later received a BA in Education at Arizona State College, and after that a Master of Library Science from the University of Denver.
In 1973, she moved to the Princeton area with her husband, Peter, whom she met in Berkeley while she was a librarian at the University of California. In New Jersey, she worked for several years in the library at Rutgers. Other institutions for which she worked included the Educational Testing Service, the Historical Society of Princeton, and The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
In 1987, she was employed at the Computer Center of Princeton University as a data librarian, where she helped patrons find information, such as census and survey data that needed to be read via a computer. She retired in 1997.
She loved classical music, backpacking in the California Sierras, canoeing, gardening, theater, travel, and sending greeting cards and presents to her friends and innumerable nieces and nephews.
She is survived by her husband, Peter; and her sister, Judith Kaney.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Sierra Club.
A memorial celebration of her life will be held at the Nassau Inn, Palmer Room, on Sunday, October 30, at 3 p.m. Parking is available in the Hulfish Street or Chambers Street garages.
Nicholas Eugene Johnson, 82, of Kingston, died October 14 at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick.
Born in Jersey City, he was raised in Morristown, eventually moving to Kingston in 1958.
He retired from the Princeton Post Office as a letter Carrier after 30 years. Upon retirement, he worked part-time in the mail room at LOreal in Cranbury for 10 years. He was honorably discharged from the U.S. Marine Corp. after serving from 1946 to 1948.
He was a communicant of St. Pauls Catholic Church in Princeton and served the church as a Eucharist Minister and also a hospital visitor at Princeton Medical Center. He was a member of the Masqueraders Square Dance Club, the Knights of Columbus, where he served one term as Grand Knight, the Kingston First Aid Squad, and the Kingston Fire Department.
Predeceased by his parents, Edward and Anna Johnson; one grandson; and his brother, William Johnson; he is survived by his wife of 57 years, Gloria M. Johnson; two daughters, Deborah Marion and Molly Loghmari; six grandchildren; his brothers, Edward, David, and Clifford Johnson; and his sister, Genevieve Merchak.
Funeral services took place on October 19 at the Kimble Funeral Home, Princeton. A funeral mass followed at St. Pauls Catholic Church. Burial took place in the Kingston Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Kingston.
Memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society at P.O. Box 22718, Oklahoma City, Okla. 73123; or online at cancer.org.
To extend condolences or share memories, please visit TheKimbleFuneralHome.com.
Warren A. Sensenig, 88, died October 19 at home.
Born in Rahway, he was raised there by his parents, Peter and Marina Sensenig.
He received his education in electrical engineering from both the University of Connecticut and Yale University, graduating in 1944.
He began his career with Dumont Labs before enlisting in the Air Force in 1946. After he left the Air Force he returned to Dumont Labs where he worked until 1957. After a brief time with the Philco Corporation, he moved to RCA where he worked as a Lead Engineer in the Astro division before transferring to the solid state division. He worked at RCA until his retirement in 1985.
During his career at RCA, he was the lead engineer on VIATS, and he also directed the design, development, construction, and testing of the OAO transistorized camera. While at RCA, he was the author of several patents.
He had a great love of the shore and Ocean City, N.J., in particular, where he kept a vacation home for many years. He was very active in Masonic Lodge #38, Boy Scout Troop 43, and Nassau Presbyterian Church.
Predeceased by his wife, Marjorie, in 1998; he is survived by two sons, Kelvin and Doug; one grandson; and his companion, Pennie Coombs.
The Funeral Service will be held at 10 a.m. on October 29 at the Mather-Hodge Funeral Home, 40 Vandeventer Avenue, Princeton. Burial will follow in the Rocky Hill Cemetery. Friends may call on October 28 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the funeral home.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Boy Scout Troop 43, 89 Dogwood Hill, Princeton, N.J. 08540.
Max Borenstein, 96, of Philadelphia, formerly of Levittown, died October 19 at Nazareth Hospital.
Born in Philadelphia, Pa., he was the son of the late Morris Borenstein and Mary Bernstein. He attended Central High School, and graduated from Temple University in 1936 with a degree in education. He worked as a teacher and at the U.S. Post Office before joining the U.S. Army. He served in Europe for four years during World War II and was wounded in Germany in 1945. Professionally, he had a long career as a CPA and with the U.S. Government, retiring as a senior agent from the Internal Revenue Service.
He enjoyed a good game of cards, especially pinochle, and competitive table tennis, winning several Bucks County, Philadelphia, and Pennsylvania state senior championships. He was most passionate about studying math and finding the beauty in solving the most intricate of problems, and shared his insights as a mentor and tutor. His collection of mathematics and science books could rival many university collections. He generously contributed to many causes dear to him, including the American Cancer Society, Jewish Family Services of Philadelphia, and Federation for the Blind. He was an ardent Philadelphia sports fan, and took pleasure in watching his grandchildren play baseball and basketball.
Predeceased by his grandchildren, Douglas and Lisa; he is survived by his brother, Jules Borenstein; his sister, Pauline Torchon; his children, Richard and Paul Borenstein, and Trudy Sugiura; six grandchildren; and one great grandchild.
A memorial service took place on October 21 at the Joseph Levine & Son Memorial Chapel in Trevose, Pa. Interment was private.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the American Diabetes Association and Jewish Family Services of Philadelphia.
Town Topics® may be purchased on Wednesday mornings at the following locations: Princeton McCaffreys, Coxs, Kiosk (Palmer Square), Krauszers (State Road), Olives, Speedy Mart (State Road), Wawa (University Place); Hopewell Village Express; Rocky Hill Wawa (Route 518); Pennington Pennington Market.
Copyright© Town Topics®, Inc. 2011.