Vol. LXI, No. 45
Wednesday, November 7, 2007
David Scott Thompson, 90, of Monroe Township, a longtime Princeton University administrator and avid barbershop singer, died peacefully October 30 at home in Monroe Village.
Born in Assiut, Egypt, he was the younger son of the Reverend and Mrs. F. Scott Thompson, Presbyterian missionaries from Pennsylvania and faculty members at Assiut College. He was educated in Egypt until he was 15 years old, when he came to the U.S. and entered Darrow School in New Lebanon, N.Y.
He entered Princeton University in 1935 as a member of the class of 1939. As an undergraduate, he majored in modern languages and was one of the first five students to initiate the Special Program in the Humanities. He was associated with Theatre Intime, a member of Quadrangle Club, a letterman in soccer, and manager of the Student Tutoring Association. He graduated with honors, winning two prizes for proficiency in French.
After graduation, he taught at Darrow School until he joined the air arm of the United States Navy in June 1941. In June 1942, he married Barbara Simond of Rye, N.Y. After serving as an instrument flight instructor at Pensacola, Fla., he saw action as a night fighter pilot flying F6F Hellcats attached to Night Fighter Squadron 91 aboard the fast attack carrier USS Bon Homme Richard during the final months of World War II. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for “heroism and extraordinary achievement” for a night mission against enemy positions in severe weather on the night of July 17, 1945, off Honshu Island.
After his release from active service, he joined the faculty of the Hill School, Pottstown, Pa., leaving after five years to become personnel manager of Providence-Washington Insurance Company in Providence, R.I. Later he became director of human relations for Dohler-Jarvis in Pottstown, then worked for Walter Clark Associates. In 1957, after three years with the Philadelphia advertising firm of Grey and Rogers, he returned to Princeton to coordinate the University’s $53 million capital gifts campaign, which exceeded its goal by $8 million and commenced his 27-year period of dedication to the University. He was named Director of Development in 1961 and six years later was appointed Assistant to President Robert F. Goheen. In 1972, he was named Executive Secretary of the Council for University Resources, and served nine years as a trustee of the American College Public Relations Association.
He was a founding member of the organizing board of the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education when that body was created in 1974 through the merger of the ACPRA and the American Alumni Council. His career at Princeton climaxed in 1980 with his promotion to the position of Recording Secretary of the University. He retired from Princeton in 1984 and continued to serve the University as a member of the Class of 1939 Foundation and the Quadrangle Club. In 1992 he won the Harold H. Helm Award for exemplary and sustained performance on behalf of annual giving for the Class of 1939.
He was prominent in community activities during his 36 years in Princeton. He was a member of the Council of Community Services, the Princeton Education Center at Blairstown, the Princeton Prospect Foundation, and the Princeton Historical Society. He was an elder of Nassau Presbyterian Church, tax collector of Princeton Township, and served on the Princeton Township Committee and the Darrow School board of directors for many years.
One of his great pleasures was barbershop singing. He was a longstanding member of the Princeton Garden Statesmen, where he sang baritone with great gusto and flair. In 1990 he moved to Monroe Village, where he organized and directed an in-house singing group, delighting fellow residents with impromptu concerts. During his 17 years at Monroe Village, he was also president of the residents’ association, serving on the finance, music, and other committees.
Predeceased by his wife Barbara in 2003, and by a brother, Jack Thompson of Princeton, he is survived by two sons, David Jr. and Peter, both of Cambridge, Mass.; and two grandchildren.
A memorial service will be announced later.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Parkinson Alliance, Post Office Box 308, Kingston, N.J. 08528-0308.
Arrangements are by A.S. Cole Son & Co., Cranbury.
Zulema A. Traylor, 57, of Princeton, died November 3 at home.
Born in Argentina, she was a resident of Princeton for 21 years. She had served as a childcare giver for many children in the Princeton area.
She was an active member of Mother of God Joy of All Who Sorrow Orthodox Church and a founding parent of the Waldorf School of Princeton.
Daughter of Raul and Dominga Azcona of California, she is survived by her parents; three sons, Nathaniel Carr of New Brunswick, Gabriel S. Traylor of Brooklyn, N.Y., and Matthew A. Traylor of Princeton; and a sister, Mirta Luque of California.
A funeral service of the Divine Liturgy was held yesterday at the Chapel of the Miraculous Medal at St. Joseph’s Seminary, Kingston, with the Rev. John Cassar officiating. Interment followed at Princeton Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Mother of God Joy of All Who Sorrow Church or to the Alliance for Childhood.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Kimble Funeral Home.
Ann T. Baldino, 96, of West Windsor Township, died October 30 in the University Medical Center at Princeton.
Born in Ischia, Italy, she had lived in the Penns Neck section of West Windsor since 1947.
She retired in 1988 after more than 27 years of service as a clerk with Educational Testing Service.
She was a member of St. Paul’s Church, a member and past president of the American Legion Post No. 76 Ladies Auxiliary, a member of the Princeton Junction Fire Company Ladies Auxiliary, and a former member of the 40 and 8.
Daughter of the late Luigi and Julia Virginia Tevere and wife of the late Salvatore M. Baldino, she is survived by two sons, John of Montgomery Township and L. Lonnie of Lambertville; a sister, Jane Poore of Visalia, Calif.; three grandchildren; and a special caregiver, Assunta Luci.
A Mass of Christian burial was celebrated November 2 at St. Paul’s Church. Burial followed in Princeton Memorial Park, Robbinsville.
Arrangements were by The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.
Irma Dalle-Pezze, 95, of Princeton, died October 31 at St. Joseph’s Care Center at Morris Hall, Lawrenceville.
Born in Switzerland, she grew up in Verona, Italy and immigrated to the United States as a teenager. She lived in Princeton the rest of her life.
She had a fondness for her job and worked long after retirement age at Carter-Wallace in Cranbury.
She was a longtime member of St. Paul’s Altar Rosary Society.
The loving matriarch of her family, she was known for her Sunday and holiday dinners that included not only family but others who would otherwise have been alone.
The daughter of the late Teresa and John Dalle-Pezze, she was predeceased also by a sister, Bianca Gallo; a brother, Angelo Dalle-Pezze; and a longtime friend, Elizabeth Anderson. She is survived by a sister, Gemma Platt of Colorado, and many nieces and nephews.
A Mass of Christian burial was celebrated at St. Paul’s Church on November 5. Burial followed in St. Paul’s Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to S.A.V.E., 900 Herrontown Road, Princeton.
Arrangements were by The Kimble Funeral Home.
Alma G. Engelmann, 85, of Belle Mead, died October 1 at the University Medical Center at Princeton.
A memorial service will be held at 7 p.m. today, November 7 at The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home, 40 Vandeventer Avenue.
Virginia M. Minor, 77, of Princeton, died October 30 at home following a hard-fought battle against cancer of the pancreas.
Born in the United States, she moved frequently with her family in Central and South America, spending several years in Buenos Aires, Argentina, where she attended Lincoln School. After the family returned to the U.S., she attended Mamaroneck, N.Y. High School. She entered Allegheny College in Meadville, Pa., where she became the first and only female member of the men’s tennis team. She was recently honored with a banquet at Allegheny celebrating her induction into the school’s Sports Hall of Fame.
After graduating from college, she worked for several years as a geologist for Carter Oil Co. in Tulsa, Okla., then moved to New Jersey where she had a long, successful career with IBM Corporation. Her love of travel started in earnest following graduation, when she took a three-month bicycle trip through Europe. She traveled throughout her life, taking particular pleasure in her African safaris and the resulting photographs that were framed and hung throughout her home. But she often said that her “being” was still centered in Latin America and the Spanish language.
Daughter of the late Tillie and Chalmer Minor and sister of the late Philip and Calvin Minor, she is survived by a sister-in-law, Cynthia Minor, and several nieces and nephews.
Services will be private. Memorial contributions may be offered to Princeton Hospice, 208 Bunn Drive, Princeton 08540; or to Home Front, 1880 Princeton Avenue, Lawrenceville 08648.
Mary K. O’Hara, 81, of Hightstown, died November 4 at Meadow Lakes Nursing Home.
Born and raised in Reading, Pa., she lived most of her adult life in Princeton.
She was a Registered Nurse for Brain Bio Corporation, retiring after 15 years of service.
She was a charter member of the Ladies Auxiliary of the Princeton First Aid and Rescue Squad, and a member of the Ladies Auxiliary of Engine Co. No. 1 of Princeton.
Wife of the late Andrew R. O’Hara Jr., she is survived by a son, Andrew of Centennial, Colo.; three daughters, Karin P. O’Hara of Freehold, Candace M. O’Hara of Santa Fe, and Deirdre C. O’Hara of Hamilton; a brother, R. Michael Shoppell of Phoenix, Ariz.; and three grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday, November 8 at The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home, 40 Vandeventer Avenue.
Calling hours will be from 6 p.m. Thursday until the time of the memorial service.
Memorial contributions may be made to Princeton First Aid and Rescue Squad Ladies Auxiliary, P.O. Box 529, Princeton 08542; or to Engine Co. No. 1, 13 Chestnut Street, Princeton 08542.
Town Topics® may be purchased on Wednesday mornings at the following locations: Princeton McCaffreys, Coxs, Kiosk (Palmer Square), Krauszers (State Road), Olives, Speedy Mart (State Road), Wawa (University Place); Hopewell Village Express; Rocky Hill Wawa (Route 518); Pennington Pennington Market.
Copyright© Town Topics®, Inc. 2011.