Vol. LXV, No. 21
Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Dr. Benjamin K. Silverman, 86, died May 17 at his home at Stonebridge at Montgomery.
Born in Baltimore, Md. on July 21, 1924, he completed his undergraduate studies at Johns Hopkins University, where he played lacrosse. He attained his medical degree at the University of Maryland Medical School.
He moved to Princeton in 1954 and established a well-respected pediatric practice, taking care of the children of Princeton for the next 30 years. After leaving private practice, he became a teaching doctor at the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia and then the Childrens Hospital of Orange County, Calif., helping to train the next generation of pediatricians. He was also one of the editors of The Textbook of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, which became the standard for the field of emergency pediatrics.
A great fan of the Princeton University sports program, he served as the attending physician during many athletic events. He was also active in the youth sports programs in Princeton that his sons participated in. He was an avid tennis player, but he loved all sports, whether he was playing or watching.
His favorite place was Bay Head, N.J. This was where he, his wife, his sons, and his grandchildren gathered for family reunions. Many wonderful days were spent at the shore.
Married to the former Beverly Miller for 62 years, they raised four sons. He was preceded in death by his son, Steve, who battled congenital heart disease throughout his life.
He is survived by his wife, Beverly; his sons, Rick, Bob, and Jon; and seven grandchildren.
Funeral services were held on May 20 at Orlands Ewing Memorial Chapel. Burial was in Princeton Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to the University Medical Center at Princeton, Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia, or the Childrens Hospital of Orange County, Calif.
Doris Balson Freiman Peskin died May 9 at Stonebridge in Montgomery, N.J.
Known to family and friends as Dot, she was born in Newark to Frances Balson and Samson Freiman on December 28, 1919. She spent her childhood in nearby West Orange, N.J. in a lively household full of music, talk, and people welcomed by her gregarious parents.
Her musical talent was nurtured with daily practice on the piano, and Sunday afternoons were set aside for listening to the New York Philharmonic concerts on the radio.
She graduated from West Orange High School and received her B.A. in music from New Jersey College for Women (later Douglass College) in 1940. On a blind date she met her match Bill Peskin. They married on September 12, 1941, shortly after Bill completed his naval officer training. They spent most of the war years in Rochester, N.Y., where Bill was employed by the navy at Eastman Kodak in the manufacture of optics for warships. There, the first of their four children was born.
From 1946 to 1954 she and her family lived in East Liverpool, Ohio. Though they had made lifelong friends in Ohio, the family moved to New Jersey when her husband was offered a job at the Carborundum Co., then located in Perth Amboy. They chose a home in Princeton because of its excellent schools and abundant cultural offerings, and lived there for nearly 50 years.
She maintained an active musical life, playing chamber music with fellow members of Princetons Friends of Music. She was also a regular concertgoer at the University and in New York City. She thrived in her roles as mother to an active brood of children, community volunteer, and member of an extended family. In 1961 her husband took an assignment at Carborundums European headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, and the family embarked on an international adventure and settled in a French-speaking village. They travelled widely in Europe, enjoyed the countryside, and experienced the art, music and cuisine.
By the time she and her family returned to Princeton in 1963, she had become very interested in language learning and began what was to become a new career. She started as a volunteer at Community Park School and later initiated an English for Speakers of Other Languages program in the Princeton Township Schools. She even completed a masters degree in education at Rutgers, and taught English at Princeton High School from 1967 to 1983, specializing in teaching English to speakers of other languages.
She continued to embrace new interests throughout her life, becoming involved with the Princeton YWCA, Community Without Walls, and the Artisans Guild. She enjoyed attending High Holiday services at Princeton Hillel and made new friends in retirement when she helped to establish Princetons local cable television channel. She was an original resident of Stonebridge at Montgomery when it opened in 2004,
Predeceased by her husband; she is survived by her children, Richard, Sarah, James, and Robert; four grandchildren; and one step-granddaughter.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Princeton Community Television, 369 Witherspoon Street, Princeton, N.J.
The family will have a private funeral service. A memorial service will be scheduled at a later date at Stonebridge in Montgomery.
Christopher L. Cannon, 64, died suddenly on May 18.
Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., he graduated from St. Johns Law School after serving in the United States Army during the Vietnam War. He was also a Lt. Commander in the U.S. Naval Reserve.
He was a licensed pilot, a board advisor to the N.J. Naval Militia Foundation, a board member to the Selective Service System, and a former member of the Montgomery Township E.M.S.
A Senior Counsel for Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals, in Wayne N.J., he specialized in FDA Regulatory Affairs. His bar admissions included the State Bars of N.Y. and N.J., the U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeals; and the U.S. Supreme Court.
He was known for his gentle manner and quick wit. He was a man of true integrity and great intellect. His family looked to him always for strength and guidance, as did his friends and colleagues. He was taken from us all too soon and will be missed forever.
He is survived by his wife of 42 years, Pat; and his three children, Sean, Adam, and Hope.
A funeral service was held on May 24 in the Hillsborough Funeral Home, followed by a Mass of Christian Burial in St. Charles Borromeo Church, Skillman. Burial was in Holy Cross Burial Park, East Brunswick.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the American Heart Association.
Charles William Grayson, 91, of Montgomery Township, died May 21 at Stonebridge at Montgomery.
Born in Somerville, he was a lifelong Belle Mead resident. He was a farmer operating the Grayson Family Farm and was a charter member of the Montgomery Township Volunteer Fire Company #1. A member and later a secretary of the Board of Adjustment for 11 years, he was elected to the Board of Education in 1953 serving 18 years, and later served as board president for six years.
In 1967 he was elected Township Tax Assessor, a position he held for over 19 years until his retirement in 1986. In 1975 he was appointed by director Sidney Glaser of the State Division of Taxation as a member and Chairman of the Directors Farmland Committee, a position he held for 30 years. He wrote and created the Farmland Assessment Handbook for New Jersey Tax Assessors for the division of taxation in 1990. He was awarded the Distinguished Service to New Jersey Agriculture Citations by both the NJ Department of Agriculture and NJ Farm Bureau in 1993. He was also the secretary and treasurer of the Princeton Agricultural Association.
A member of the Harlingen Reformed Church, he was also a former elder and deacon.
The son of the late William and Margaret Grayson, he is survived by his wife, Lisa Horster Grayson.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. on May 26 at the Harlingen Reformed Church, Route 206 at Dutchtown Road, Montgomery Township. Burial will be private in the Somerville Cemetery.
Catherine Seibert Jahn, a longtime resident of Princeton, died May 13 at the Stonebridge Retirement Community.
Born in Plainfield, N.J., she spent her adolescent years in Hopewell with her parents and her younger sister, Marie.
She attended the Womens College of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and Ursinus College in Collegeville, Pa. Following college, she became a technical secretary in the Statistics Department at Princeton University. She married Robert Jahn in June 1953, and they moved soon after to Bethlehem, Pa., where she taught at the local YWCA. Three years later they moved to Pasadena, Calif., and then returned to Princeton in 1962 where she lived for the rest of her life.
She raised four children, Eric, Jill, Nina, and Dawn. She was actively involved in their lives and in the community, serving as a Girl Scout and Cub Scout leader, classroom parent, and in a variety of other volunteer roles. She also served as a surrogate mother to several generations of her husbands research students and participated in many aspects of his Princeton University career.
She taught at the University League Nursery School for 25 years, where she touched the lives of countless children and their families. After her retirement, she served as a volunteer reader at the Littlebrook Elementary School, an advisor to the Princeton YWCA, and a community-wide advocate for people living with disabilities. For the past seven years, she was a resident of the Stonebridge Retirement Community, where she was an active and well-loved member. Most recently, she served as president of the Residents Council of the Skilled Nursing Unit.
She had touched many with her gracious and optimistic personality, her love for her family, and her enduring commitment to early childhood education, despite a range of physical challenges.
She is survived by her husband; her sister; her four children; and seven grandchildren.
Memorial services are planned for 2 p.m. on May 25 at the Stonebridge Retirement Community Assisted Living Facility, 100 Hollinshead Spring Road, Skillman; and for the Princeton University Chapel on June 6 at 11 a.m.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in her honor to The Kit Jahn Memorial Scholarship Fund, University League Nursery School, 171 Broadmead Street, Princeton, N.J. 08540.
Arrangements are by Kimble Funeral Home, Princeton.
Charles J. Weingart Jr., Dewey, 82, of Belle Mead, died May 22 at the University Medical Center at Princeton.
Born in Princeton, he lived in the Princeton area all of his life. He founded Deweys Upholstery Shop in Princeton Junction in 1944 and was still active in the business at the time of his passing. He was a veteran of the US Army. He and his wife were antique car collectors.
Predeceased by his parents, Charles and Mary Stark Weingart; his wife of 50 years, Dorothy K. Weingart, who died in 2004; his brother, Stephen Weingart; and his granddaughter, Cynthia Weingart; he is survived by his two sons, Joseph and Scott Weingart; his daughter, Patty Mistyhn; six grandchildren; and one great granddaughter.
The funeral will be held at 10:30 a.m. on May 25 at The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home, 40 Vandeventer Avenue, Princeton.
Burial will follow in Rocky Hill Cemetery, Rocky Hill.
Calling hours were on Tuesday, May 24.
Memorial contributions may be made to Families of S.M.A., 925 Busse Road, Elk Grove Village, Ill. 60007.
Town Topics® may be purchased on Wednesday mornings at the following locations: Princeton McCaffreys, Coxs, Kiosk (Palmer Square), Krauszers (State Road), Olives, Speedy Mart (State Road), Wawa (University Place); Hopewell Village Express; Rocky Hill Wawa (Route 518); Pennington Pennington Market.
Copyright© Town Topics®, Inc. 2011.