Dr. Kuo An Huang, 90, of Princeton, died April 15 in Lawrenceville.
Born in Kampar in the state of Perak, Malaysia, he was a graduate of the Fukien Union University and the Peiping Union Medical College in China. After graduating from medical school, he practiced medicine in Beijing, Fukien, and Guangzhou. In 1951, he left China to return to Malaysia, where he served on the medical staff at the Penang General Hospital. After postgraduate training in the U.K. on a Sino-British fellowship, he was appointed chief medical officer of the Bukit Mertajam General Hospital. He left the hospital several years later to establish his own clinic and enjoyed a thriving medical practice for many years until he retired in 1990. He and his wife moved to Princeton in 2004.
He served as president of the Penang Medical Practitioners Association in 1968, was a patron of the Junior Chamber of Commerce of Penang for many years, and gave generously to support local schools in Bukit Mertajam. He also served as an elder at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church in Penang and helped to establish the Singapore Bible College. He provided support to establish and sustain the Jitsin High School Christian Fellowship program.
He is survived by his wife of 63 years, Keng Hua Lim; a daughter, Shuang Ruy Huang of Princeton; two sons, Moses Huang of Sunnyvale, Calif., and Dr. David Huang of Wichita Falls, Texas; two sisters in Malaysia; and eight grand- children.
The funeral service was held at the The Kimble Funeral Home on April 23, conducted by the Rev. David Kwok of the Chinese American Bible Church in Freehold. Burial was at Princeton Cemetery.
A memorial service was held in Bukit Mertajam, Malaysia on April 29.
Walter Curtis Johnson of Hightstown, the Arthur LeGrand Doty Professor of Electrical Engineering, Emeritus at Princeton University, died April 22. He was the son of David C. Johnson and Mary Ely Johnson, of Weikert Pa., and husband of Caroline Shirk Johnson, who predeceased him.
An alumnus of Pennsylvania State University, Prof. Johnson joined the faculty of Princeton University in 1937, where he served as chairman of the Department of Electrical Engineering for 15 years, retiring in 1981. In 1948 he designed the original doctoral program in electrical engineering. He also spearheaded the modernization of the engineering curriculum after World War II, the development of the Princeton Engineering Physics Program initiated in 1958, Princeton's first program of teaching and research in computer science, and the development of Princeton's successful program in electronic materials and devices.
In 1955 he was made a Fellow of the Institute of Radio Engineers. In 1963 he was appointed to the Arthur Le Grand Doty Chair of Electrical Engineering. In 1967 he was given an award for Excellence in Engineering Education by the American Society for Engineering Education, and was made a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. The Walter Curtis Johnson Prize for Excellence in Teaching was established by the Department in his honor in 1986.
He was a member of the Old Guard, Nassau Club, Springdale Golf Club, and Rotary Club.
He is survived by three sons, W. Curtis of Corvallis, Ore., William S. of Collegedale, Tenn., and David E. of Cortlandt Manor, N.Y.; six grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.
Tax-deductible donations in his memory may be made to the Forum Education Award Program, Meadow Lakes, 300 Meadow Lakes, Hightstown 08520.
Arrangements were under the direction of The Kimble Funeral Home.
Dr. George T. Reynolds, 87, of Princeton, a physicist and educator, died April 26 at home. The cause was cancer.
He graduated from Rutgers University in 1939 with Phi Beta Kappa honors. He received his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in physics at Princeton University in 1942 and 1943 respectively.
The Class of 1909 Professor Emeritus at Princeton University, he had been a leading research director in the field of cosmic rays, high energy particle physics, and biophysics.
In 1943 he was commissioned as an ensign in the U.S. Navy and assigned to Los Alamos to work on the Manhattan project as a blast effect specialist. During the last days of World War II, he was sent to Japan to conduct bomb damage analysis. In 1946 he was awarded the Army-Navy Certificate of Appreciation for his contributions to the Office of Scientific Research and Development during the war. His post-war association with the Office of Naval Research led to work on nuclear submarine development and related projects.
In 1946 he was appointed assistant professor in the Princeton Physics Department. He was promoted to associate professor in 1951, and to professor in 1958. From 1949 to 1970 he was in charge of a group working in cosmic rays and elementary particles under contract with the Atomic Energy Commission. After 1970 his research interests were focused on applying the principles of physics to the study of biophysical problems.
In the academic year 1955-56 he received a leave from Princeton University to pursue research in high energy physics at Imperial College, London, on a Guggenheim Fellowship. In 1973-74 he was a Churchill Fellow at Cambridge University, conducting research at the Laboratory of Molecular Biology. In 1981-82 he was visiting Senior Research Fellow at Oxford University and visiting professor at Oxford Research Unit of the Open University. In 1985 he was a Royal Society Guest Research Fellow at Oxford University.
In his laboratory work at Princeton, Dr. Reynolds invented the liquid scintillator, now a valuable tool for nuclear and cosmic ray research, biological and medical research. The scintillator provided, for the first time, a device to make visible the track of an ionized particle. More recently, he applied image intensification techniques to biological observations, including bioluminescence and x-ray diffraction.
This work led to his appointment as a member of the Corporation of the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Mass., where he was a principal investigator for 31 summers. He was also an adjunct scientist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.
Since 1974 he had been a member of the board of trustees of Rutgers University, serving as chairman of the Research and Graduate Education Committee. He also served on advisory panels for many other universities, government agencies, and laboratories.
He was a Fellow of the American Physical Society, and a member of the Biophysical Society, American Society for Photobiology, and the New York Academy of Science.
He was always interested in music. He played the violin and viola, and was an avid surf fisherman and sailor.
The son of the late George W. and Laura Reynolds, Dr. Reynolds was married to the former Virginia Rendall, a librarian for many years at Princeton Day School. He is survived by four sons, G. Thomas of Skillman, Richard L. of Boulder, Colo., Robert M. of Woods Hole, and David J. of The Woodlands, Texas; and six grandchildren.
A service of remembrance will be announced by the family.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Hospice Memorial Fund, 253 Witherspoon Street, Princeton 08540.
Arrangements were under the direction of The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.
Adele W. Rubin, 85, of Princeton, died April 27 at Greenwood House in Ewing.
Born in New York City, she was a Jersey Shore resident in Red Bank, Interlaken, and West Long Branch for most of her life before moving to Princeton.
Known for her business acumen as manager and registered securities representative for her husband's investment firm, Fidelity Securities Investment Co. in Asbury Park, she was also known for her enjoyment of ballroom dancing, amateur theater, bridge, and game shows. In addition to the trophies she acquired in dance and tournament bridge throughout her life, she was a big winner on the national television quiz show Concentration. One of the prizes was several hundred dollars worth of Carvel ice cream, which she donated to area children's charities.
She was passionate about walking and biking on the Asbury Park Boardwalk, and devoted much volunteer time to its beautification.
Predeceased by her husband, Harold P. Rubin, she is survived by three daughters, Roberta Markow of Key West, Fla., Pam Hersh of Princeton, and Beth Estep of Old Bridge; and five grandchildren.
The funeral, a private graveside service, was held in Neptune at the Temple Beth Miriam Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Greenwood House, 53 Walter Street, Ewing 08628.
Louise Fenninger Sayen, 83, of Stonebridge at Montgomery, died peacefully on May 1.
A Princeton resident since the age of ten, she was born in Hampton, Va., the daughter of Rev. Laurence Fenninger and Natalie Bourne Fenninger.
She graduated from Miss Fine's School in 1938, then attended Randolph Macon College in Virginia and the Traphagen School of Art in New York.
An avid reader, hostess, gardener, and community volunteer, she was a longtime member of the Garden Club of Princeton. She served on the boards of many organizations including the Marquand Park Foundation, the International Center of Princeton University, the Princeton Youth Fund, Friends of Princeton Open Space, and Princeton Day School. At the time of her death, she was chairman of the Grounds Committee at Stonebridge at Montgomery. She took great pleasure in planting gardens and trees for all to enjoy.
She was predeceased by her husband, James C. Sayen, and two brothers, Laurence Fenninger Jr. and Randolph B. Fenninger. She is survived by her four children, Kate S. Kirkland of Houston, Texas, Jamie Sayen of North Stratford, N.H., Connie S. Ban of Princeton, and Louise S. Bower of Dallas, Texas; a brother, Dr. Leonard D. Fenninger of Evanston, Ill.; and seven grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. this Saturday, May 7 at the Mountain Lakes House on Mountain Avenue.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be sent to Friends of Princeton Open Space; or Princeton Child Development Institute, Cold Soil Road; or the International Center of Princeton University; or Crossroads Nursery School, 225 Olden Lane, Princeton. It was also Mrs. Sayen's wish that all who knew her would enjoy the natural, open spaces in Princeton, reflecting her dedication to, and affection for, the community.
Funeral arrangements are under the direction of the Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.
Karla Schossberger, 93, of Princeton, died April 17 at University Medical Center at Princeton.
Born in Vienna, Austria, she and her late husband Charles owed their lives to the village of Seignes, France, in the Auvergne, where they lived during World War II before emigrating in 1950 to the United States with their children, in order to be close to some of their remaining family.
After retiring as a knitwear designer for Jantzen Sportswear, she became an active volunteer with Starfish in River Edge, N.J., where she lived for 42 years before moving to Princeton, where she was a volunteer with Grand Pals.
She was a member of Temple Sholom in River Edge.
She is survived by a daughter, Catherine Raphael of Princeton; a son, Marc Sadoux of Atlanta; two grandchildren; and two step-grandchildren.
Henry C. Woods Jr., 84, of Skillman, died April 28 at the Medical Center at Princeton, of cancer, following a brief hospitalization.
He served as a pilot for the U.S. Navy during World War II.
He taught English for 35 years at The Lawrenceville School.
He is survived by his wife, Jane Cheney Woods, and many nieces and nephews.
Services are private.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Cromwell-Immordino Memorial Home, Hopewell.