High School Gas Leak Forces Students Out
A four-inch gas main on Walnut Lane broke Tuesday at 8:54 a.m., causing a leak that resulted in an immediate evacuation of all high school students and faculty. Residents within a one-block radius of the leak were also told to evacuate their homes.
"We believe contractors accidentally hit a gas line that they thought was inoperative," said Lew Goldstein, assistant superintendent of human resources, public information, and community relations. "It was a pretty immediate smell."
PSE&G workers were sent immediately to the site to handle the problem. Students were retained in John Witherspoon Middle School's gym and auditorium until the gas leak was capped at 10:15 a.m. They were then sent home by their regular means of transportation, including buses.
Princeton Adult School classes were cancelled, along with all after-school activities that were scheduled to take place inside the building and on high school fields. Athletic events taking place at the Valley Road building or on other districts' fields took place as scheduled. Transportation to those events was provided from the John Witherspoon building.
Many students and faculty were forced to leave belongings in the school and were told to not return to the building for the remainder of the day due to fumes and further work on the gas line. As of 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday the fumes had been isolated, said Mr. Goldstein.
The high school is scheduled to reopen on Wednesday.