G. Hein Besselaar
G. Hein Besselaar, M.D., 70, of Princeton, died on March 13 in Madrid, Spain, of a sudden heart attack. He was chairman of the board of PharmaNet, Inc., an international drug development company.
Regarded by many as the grandfather of the clinical research outsourcing industry, he was one of the first to establish a clinical development company dedicated to the conduct of global clinical trials in the mid-1970s. Clinical development companies provide product development services for the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device industries. Currently, hundreds of privately owned and publicly traded CROs represent a multi-billion dollar industry and employ more than 100,000 people in clinical development throughout the world.
He began his career in the pharmaceutical industry with Merck & Co. in 1971, where he helped to develop a clinical pharmacology department with responsibilities for domestic and international drug development programs. In 1976 he founded G. H. Besselaar Associates and built the company into a worldwide leader in outsourced clinical drug development. Corning, Inc. acquired G.H. Besselaar Associates in 1989, and it eventually became part of Corning Pharmaceutical Services. Dr. Besselaar continued to manage the company until 1992. Corning Pharmaceutical Services later became Covance, a publicly traded company. Dr. Besselaar and several members of his former management team reentered the industry with the founding of PharmaNet in 1996.
Born in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, he received his doctorate in internal medicine from the University of Leiden Medical School in the Netherlands and later became the University¹s Chief Resident in internal medicine. He was an International Fellow in Clinical Pharmacology at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md., and received his Ph.D. in pharmacology from George Washington University.
He was accomplished in many areas other than his professional career. He was known for his appreciation and knowledge of art and assembled a distinguished collection of 19th century Dutch Master paintings. He was a jazz pianist and an avid wine collector. He also enjoyed architecture, design, automobiles, and golf. In Paget, Bermuda, where he had a home, he served on the board of trustees of the Bermuda Biological Station for Research, Inc., for many years.
He is survived by his wife, Toni; three children, Francine Besselaar of Princeton, Frits of Hopewell, and Madzy Besselaar of Seattle, Wash.; a brother, Maarten of Belgium; and six grandchildren.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Princeton Junior School, sent to the attention of Pat Huff, c/o PharmaNet, 504 Carnegie Center, Princeton 08540-6242; or to a charity of the donor's choice.
Jane Stevens Alloo, 82, of Sugar Hill, N.H., formerly of Princeton, died March 13 in Sugar Hill.
She moved to the Sugar Hill area in the late '70s to study piano. She was known for her support of performing arts organizations in the area and served on the board of directors of the North Country Chamber Players, Cormont Music, and the Weathervane Theater in Whitefield, N.H.
She is survived by a son, Hector W. Griswold of Hopewell; a daughter, Penelope G. Parson of Cape Elizabeth, Me.; and three grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. on May 1 at her residence.
Memorial contributions may be sent to the Jane Alloo Music Library Fund at Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT 05753; or the KBHC Scholarship Fund at Cormont Music, Box 613, Sugar Hill, NH 03851.
Emily Caroline Brearley, 87, of Belle Mead, died March 12 at the Princeton Care Center following a three-month illness.
Born in Princeton, where she grew up and attended public schools, she was a resident of New York City before moving to Belle Mead in 1979.
She was educated at the George School and graduated from Swarthmore College. She received an M.A. and teaching certificate from Columbia University and taught for two years at Miss Fine¹s School, the forerunner of Princeton Country Day School.
Choosing nursing as a career, she then trained at Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital in New York City and worked as a nurse there for 30 years.
After retiring and moving to Belle Mead, she became a member of the Dutch Reformed Church in Harlingen. She was also a regular attendee at the Montgomery Senior Center.
She was well-traveled and had a passion for geography and history. An active member of the Lawrenceville and Hopewell Historical Societies, she was also a supporter of the Harlingen Historical Society, the National Geographic Society, and the Natural History Museum of New York City.
She was a founding member of the Montgomery Center for the Arts at the 1860 House in Skillman, and a contributor to the 1761 Brearley House in Lawrenceville.
She is survived by her sister, Margery Brearley Ward, in whose Belle Mead home she resided for many years.
A memorial service is planned for later in the year. Memorial contributions may be made to the Princeton Hospice, 208 Bunn Drive, Princeton 08540.
Alan K. Jeydel, 81, of Hightstown, formerly of Princeton, died March 14.
Born in Newark to the late Moses M. and Viola Jeydel, he attended Newark Academy, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
He served in the U.S. Army during World War II, and was later a member of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.
He was retired from Prudential Securities.
He was a member of the Princeton Corridor Rotary and the Nassau Club .
Predeceased by his wife, Virginia Sheehan Jeydel, he is survived by his three children, Judith Anne Canavan of Perrineville, Alan of Corvallis, Ore., and Joseph of New York City; and two grandchildren.
A graveside service was held on March 19 at Princeton Cemetery.
Memorial donations may be made to the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra, 2 Central Avenue, Newark 07102, attn. Walter Maier.
Arrangements were under the direction of the Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.
Frederick G. P. Seidl, 85, of Princeton, died March 15.
Born in New York City to Leopold and Florence Seidl, he earned a Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1944.
His career was spent in the fields of physics and mathematics. He was employed at such institutions as Brookhaven National Laboratory, Lawrence Radiation Laboratory, Goddard Institute of Space Studies, and most recently, Princeton University¹s Plasma Physics Lab. He also spent time in Los Alamos, N.M., before World War II working on The Manhattan Project.
He retired from Princeton University.
He is survived by his three children, Richard, Lois, and Michael.
A memorial service will be held at a later time.
Arrangements are under the direction of The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.
Edward Wysocki, 85, of Princeton, formerly of Frenchtown, died March 14 at New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home in Menlo Park.
Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., he lived in Frenchtown before moving to Princeton in 1972.
He graduated from Frenchtown High School in 1936.
He was an Army Air Corp. veteran of World War II, serving in the 5th Air Force for 33 months in New Guinea.
He was an insurance agent with Prudential in Somerville for 35 years.
A charter member of Frenchtown American Legion Fidelity Post No. 113, he served in the American Legion organization for more than 50 years as a Post Officer, Post Commander, County Commander, and County Officer. He served as the New Jersey State Commander from 1960 to 1961 and National Vice Commander from 1961 to 1962. He was part of the leadership team that established the American Legion Post No. 113 in Frenchtown.
He enjoyed traveling.
Son of the late Walter and Katherine Wysocki, he is survived by his wife of 59 years, Beatrice; a son, Douglas of New Paltz, N.Y.; a daughter, Evelyn Wysocki of Princeton; three brothers, Raymond of Maine, Robert of South Carolina, and Richard of Maryland; and one granddaughter.
The funeral service was March 18 at the W.E. Johnson Funeral Home in Milford. Burial was in Frenchtown Cemetery, Frenchtown.
Memorial contributions may be made to Princeton Hospice, 208 Bunn Drive, Princeton 08540.