John P. McCullough, 81, of Princeton, died unexpectedly June 6 at home. A longtime resident of Princeton, he moved to the area from Bartlesville, Okla. in 1963 with his wife, Ann, and three daughters.
Born in Dallas, Texas, he graduated from Oklahoma University in 1945 with a B.S. in chemical engineering. He received his M.S. in chemical engineering and Ph.D. in chemistry from Oregon State University in 1948 and 1949.
He served in the U.S. Naval Reserve from 1943 to 1945 and on the U.S.S. Herald of the Morning in the Pacific.
Dr. McCullough first worked at the U.S. Bureau of Mines in Bartlesville, progressing to chief of its Thermodynamics Branch. He joined Mobil Oil Corporation in 1963, where he held a series of technical management positions before retiring in 1989 as General Manger of Environmental Health and Safety, Mobil Oil Corporation, and Vice President, Mobil Research and Development Corporation.
He contributed 90 articles to scientific journals and books. His honors included the Distinguished Service Award of the U.S. Department of the Interior, the Huffman Award of the International Calorimetry Conference, and the American Chemical Society's Award in Petroleum Chemistry and Leo Friend Award.
He served as chairman or as a member of the boards of The Chemical Conversation Society, World Environment Center, Institute of Health Policy Analysis, Georgetown University, Gordon Research Conferences, and American Chemical Society Committee on Chemistry and Public Affairs. He was also a director of Mobil Foundation and Heico Corporation, a trustee of the Stony Brook Millstone Watershed Association, and a Woodrow Wilson Foundation Visiting Fellow.
With his wife, he was a benefactor of art, music, and dance in the Princeton area.
He is survived by his wife, Ann Calvert McCullough; three daughters, Sherrill M. Davis of Haverford, Pa., Cathryn M. Delude of Andover, Mass., and Patricia McCullough of New York City; and three grandchildren.
A memorial service was held June 10 at Nassau Presbyterian Church, followed by a reception at the Windrows complex.
Arrangements were under the direction of The Kimble Funeral Home.
Memorial donations may be made to support research at the Alzheimer's Association.
Nancy Carroll Jones, 85, of Richmond, Va., and a longtime resident of Princeton, died June 18 in Richmond.
Born in Charlotte, N,C., the daughter of the late John and Mary Carroll, she was married to the late Charles M. Jones with whom she lived in Princeton, where she was librarian for the Hun School and president of the Friends of the Princeton Public Library. In 1998 she relocated to Richmond, where she was a member of St. Stephens Church.
She is survived by a son, Charles M. Jones, M.D. of Richmond; a daughter, Mary Carroll of Colorado; and four grandchildren, Charles D. Jones, Stanley M. Jones, Julia N. Gibbs, and Benjamin A. Jones all of Richmond. A memorial service will be held at St. Stephens Church in Richmond.
Memorial donations may be made to the Bon Secours Hospice, which so generously cared for her: the Bon Secours Foundation, 5875 Bremo Road, Suite 710, Richmond, Va. 23226.
Return to Top | Go to Weddings/Engagements