Gennie V. Deans, 82, of Princeton, died June 9 at the University Medical Center at Princeton.
She is survived by a daughter, Sandra D. Enlow of Chesapeake, Va., and two grandsons.
The funeral service was June 14 at the Hughes Funeral Home in Trenton. Burial was private.
Michael "Michele" Ciallella of Princeton died June 8 at the University Medical Center of Princeton.
Born in Roccamondolfi, Italy, he had lived in Princeton since 1957.
He retired after 27 years with the Princeton University buildings and grounds department. He was also employed at Stuart County Day School.
An avid gardener, he was well known on the Princeton University campus for his tomato patch behind Nassau Hall.
He was a member of St. Paul's Church.
He is survived by his wife, Filomena; a son, Anthony of Cranbury; two sisters, Marta Ciallella and Angelena Ricciardone, both of Australia; and two grandchildren.
A Mass of Christian Burial was held on June 12 at St. Paul's Church. Burial was in Princeton Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to the American Diabetes Association, 1701 North Beauregard Street, Alexandria, Va. 22311; or to the Princeton First Aid and Rescue Squad, P.O. Box 529, Princeton 08542.
Arrangements were by The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.
Ruth M. Petrykanyn
Ruth Marie Petrykanyn, 24, of Halifax, Nova Scotia, formerly of Princeton, died June 10 at the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre in Halifax. The cause was cancer.
Born in Summit, she moved to West Windsor as a child, where she attended the Maurice Hawk and John Witherspoon Schools. After living in Cairo, Egypt, for several years, she returned with her family to Princeton. She was a 1997 graduate of Princeton High School, where she was president of her senior class, a recipient of the school's Gold Key, and a Student Council Member. She was also a 2002 graduate of Acadia University, with a B.A., and a 2003 graduate of the University of Kings College, with a B.J. While at Acadia, she was deeply involved in student affairs, serving as president of her residence and president of the Acadia Students' Union.
Predeceased by her father, Walter John Petrykanyn, she is survived by her mother, Gail MacLauchlan Petrykanyn of Sarasota, Fla.; five siblings, Patricia Valentyne, John, Lawrence, and Richard, all of Toronto, and Colin of Halifax; and a best friend, Kenneth Sedgewick of Halifax.
A memorial service was held on June 12 at Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia.
Memorial donations may be made to the Canadian Cancer Society; or to the Ruth M. Petrykanyn Fund, Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B4P 2R5.
Those wishing to express their condolences to the Petrykanyn family may write to the Petrykanyns in care of the Hosny Family, 57 Battle Road, Princeton 08540.
David Messineo, 45, of Shohola, Pa., died June 11 of an apparent heart attack at his home. A gifted musician, he was the principal organist at Princeton University.
Born in Hackensack, he began playing the piano at age 4 and took up the organ at age 11. While still a teenager, he served as an organist at the Grace Episcopal Church in Port Jervis, N.Y., and at the Rutherford (N.J.) Congregational Church.
He attended the Juilliard School in New York City, where he graduated with a Mus.B., M.M., and doctor of musical arts with honors in organ performance. A classically trained musician, he won the American Guild of Organists' New York City chapter competition three times, and twice became a finalist in the national competition.
In 1979, he opened the new Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall and continued as organist there for several years, playing with such celebrities as Liberace and Frank Sinatra. In July 1996, he was invited to play a concert at the music hall for the National Centennial Convention of the American Guild of Organists by Peter Schickele of PDQ Bach. He studied theater organ with a former silent movie accompanist, and was well known at Princeton for his annual performance around Halloween, improvising with the 1925 silent movie, The Phantom of the Opera.
During his time at Juilliard, he served at St. Stephen's Roman Catholic Church in Kearny, and for eight years was associate director of music and organist at the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark. For 16 years, he was minister of music at the Glen Ridge Congregational Church, where he played the organ and directed seven choirs. He was also a professor of organ at Montclair State University for many years.