Vol. LXI, No. 23
Wednesday, June 6, 2007
A memorial service for Richard A. Carroll Jr. of Princeton, who died September 21, will be held tomorrow, June 7 at 10:30 a.m. at Trinity Church, Crescent Avenue, Rocky Hill.
A private burial will be held immediately following the memorial service, in Princeton Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be sent to Trinity Church, P.O. Box 265, Crescent Avenue, Rocky Hill 08553.
Helen Irwin Gallagher, 81, of Skillman, a longtime resident of Princeton and Nantucket, Mass., died May 24 at home in Stonebridge at Montgomery. Her death, following a long illness, came just 15 days after the death of her husband, Henry.
Born and raised in Ohio, she received her B.A. from Antioch College, where she also met her husband, whom she married in 1950. After college she studied at the Art Institute of Chicago and the University of Nebraska, and worked for a period with weaver-designer Dorothy Liebes in New York City. The Gallaghers had three daughters, and for nearly three decades Mrs. Gallagher continued to paint while raising a family.
Her paintings, mostly in acrylic, include abstracts, landscapes, still lifes, and portraits in a style described as "unique contemporary post-impressionist." Art critics used words like "luminous" to characterize her work, finding in it "unabashed optimism." As one reviewer put it, "Her paintings seemed to admit light, like an open window, to the wall they hang on."
After moving to Princeton in 1964 she became active in the Princeton Art Association, studying privately under artists Nelson Shanks, Jacques Fabert, and Sam Feinstein. Over the years she exhibited her work in and around Princeton, at the 1860 House in Montgomery, the Coryell Gallery in Lambertville, Philips Mill in New Hope, the Nassau Club, Rider University, and Mercer County Community College. Several one-person shows were held at galleries in Massachusetts and New Jersey.
She is survived by her three daughters, Jane Gallagher, Ann Gallagher, and Marian Gallagher Zelazny; and seven grandchildren.
A joint celebration of the lives of Helen and Henry Gallagher will be held at the Unitarian Church of Princeton on June 16 at 11 a.m.
In lieu of flowers the family requests that memorial donations be sent to the 1860 House/Montgomery Center for the Arts, 124 Montgomery Road, Skillman 08558, or to the Nature Conservancy, 4245 North Fairfax Drive, Suite 100, Arlington, Va. 22203.
Karl J. F. Gossner, M.D., F.A.P.A., 84, of Lawrenceville, died May 29 peacefully, surrounded by family and friends, as a result of a severe stroke.
A dedicated physician, he continued to practice psychiatry until the time of his death.
After earning his undergraduate degree in Europe, where his studies were interrupted by World War II, he received his medical degree from the University of Innsbruck in 1951. He immediately began working as a civilian physician for the U.S. Army in Europe and immigrated to the United States in 1959. After receiving his U.S. medical license in 1961, he worked for six years at the Trenton Psychiatric Hospital, then for 18 years at the Carrier Clinic in Belle Mead. Since 1984 he had been engaged in private practice and as a consulting psychiatrist in the New Jersey-Pennsylvania area, most recently for Catholic Charities.
From 1966 to 1978 he was an associate clinical professor of psychiatry at UMDNJ. He then held the same position at Hahnemann University in Philadelphia from 1978 to 1993.
He was elected a Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association in 1971 and became a Distinguished Life Fellow in 2003.
Born and raised in Romania, Dr. Gossner later became a German citizen and took up residence in Yugoslavia. Both before and after his arrival in the United States he was a connoisseur of classical music. He also loved to travel around the world, often capturing his trips on home movies that he later edited and accompanied with soundtracks. An accomplished cook and gardener, he also expressed his creative talents in his watercolors. After taking up painting as a teenager, he continued to paint and to study painting until his death.
He was the devoted husband of Nancy Hodges for almost 25 years. He is survived also by a daughter, Gabrielle Gossner of New York City; a step-daughter, Abby Briggs of Brighton, Mich.; a step-son, Geoffrey Briggs of Port Townsend, Wash.; and a sister, Wilmi Wurst of Ober-Kocken, Germany.
A memorial service was held on June 2 at Nassau Presbyterian Church.
Arrangements were by the Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.
Memorial donations may be made to the Crisis Ministry of Princeton and Trenton.
Khana Korkina, 86, of Princeton, died May 28 in Princeton.
Born in Russia, she lived in Russia and Germany before becoming a Princeton resident in 1995.
At the age of 21, she escaped the Nazis with the help of her fluency in German, blonde hair and blue eyes, and engaging personality. She went on to graduate from medical school in Moscow in 1945, and to work as a doctor in Germany until returning to Russia in 1947 to marry Genady Korkin and pursue her life's passion, practicing as a pediatrician.
She worked as a pediatrician for more than 30 years until her retirement.
She and her husband enjoyed their life together and raising their two daughters, Rita and Larissa, with whom she was very close.
She enjoyed music and culture, and especially loved socializing with, and staying in touch with, friends and family all over the world.
Daughter of the late Lazar Grunt and Tatiana Lotwin, and wife of the late Genady Korkin, she is survived by her two daughters, Rita of Princeton Junction and Larissa of Princeton; a brother, Isaac of Belarus; and a granddaughter.
The funeral service was May 30 at Princeton Cemetery, followed by a reception at Westminster Conservatory.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Westminster Conservatory of Music, 101 Walnut Lane, Princeton 08540.
Stuyvesant B. Pell, 75, of Princeton, died June 3 at home. A consistent first place medal winner in masters rowing races at local, national, and international regattas for three decades, he had lived in Princeton since 1964.
Born in Pittsfield, Mass., he spent his childhood on the campus of St. Andrew's School in Middletown, Del., where his father, the Rev. Walden Pell II, an Episcopal priest, was headmaster.
He attended the Rectory School in Pomfret, Conn. for a year before attending St. Mark's School in Southborough, Mass., where he rowed for three years. After receiving his diploma in 1949 he went to Princeton University, where he rowed with the 150-pound crew until his junior year. He enlisted in the Marine Corps during his senior year and after graduating from Princeton in 1953, attended Officer Candidate's School in Quantico, Va.
Commissioned a second lieutenant and later promoted to first lieutenant, he was assigned to Camp LeJeune in Jacksonville, N.C., where he served as commander of a heavy machine gun platoon. His service also included a six-month stint in the Mediterranean, attached to the Sixth Fleet.
Released from active duty with the Marines in September, 1955, he married Patricia C. Doom of Wilmington, Del. the following April. The couple lived initially in Sandy Springs, Ga., where he worked for the W.R. Bonsal Company, manufacturer of Sakrete and other cement products. A year later he joined Chubb & Son insurers and moved to Bronxville, N.Y. It was the beginning of a long and varied career in the insurance business carried out in Chubb offices in Seattle, New York, and Philadelphia, among other cities.
The Pells lived on Bainbridge Island in Puget Sound for four years before returning to the east coast in 1964 and settling in Princeton. Mr. Pell took early retirement in 1989 and began devoting his energies to various interests and endeavors, one of which was rowing. As a boy he had rowed a single on Noxontown Pond on the campus of St. Andrew's School. While living on Bainbridge Island, he had the use of a pre-war Pocock wherry, a wide, stable single shell that he rowed in Puget Sound. He then bought a Pocock-built rowing boat, the first of a series of single shells he owned and raced over the years.
A weekend runner, he ran in eight marathons (achieving a best time of 3:25), and many half marathons and 10K races. Told about masters rowing races for those 40 and over, in 1976, at age 45, he borrowed a single shell and rowed his first Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston, in the process launching a new career of competing in racing shells of all different configurations.
Over the years he placed first in his single at the Head of the Charles seven times and set the course record twice in his age group. He won first place medals at the Head of the Schuylkill Regatta in Philadelphia and innumerable other head and sprint races along the east coast, west coast, and in Canada. In 1983 he won his first National Singles Championship in the Grand Master Class. He competed often in FISA international masters races, including the FISA Masters Regatta held on Mercer Lake in September, 2006, winning his age group in the single.
He was a member and secretary of the Princeton University Rowing Association, a member of University Barge Club in Philadelphia, and a founder and former trustee of Carnegie Lake Rowing Association in Princeton.
In addition to rowing, he devoted time and energy to volunteering with the Trenton After School Program, where he helped elementary age children with their homework, especially math. A skilled builder of model airplanes and boats, he often brought his latest project to class to add to the children's learning experience.
He was vice president and a trustee of the Fort Ticonderoga Association, a Pell family endeavor dating back to 1820 devoted to preserving, maintaining, and operating the fort in upper New York state as an historic site open to the public.
He was a longtime member of Trinity Church and a member of its adult choir.
Predeceased by his wife Patricia in 2003, and by a sister, Melissa Thompson in 1992, he is survived by two daughters, Alison C. Pell of Snohomish, Wash. and Sarah B. Pell-Stires of Trenton; a sister, Mary Leigh Whitmer of Fairfield, Conn. and Quogue, N.Y.; three grandsons; and his good friend and companion Louise G. Dunham.
A memorial service will be held tomorrow, June 7 at 3 p.m. at Trinity Church, 33 Mercer Street. A reception will follow at the Princeton University Boathouse on Faculty Road.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Trenton After School Program, 801 West State Street, Trenton 08608; or to the Fort Ticonderoga Association, Inc. Box 390, Ticonderoga, N.Y. 12883; or to Trinity Church, 33 Mercer Street, Princeton 08540.
Merle Lawrence, 81, of Ann Arbor, Mich., formerly of Princeton, died peacefully in his sleep on January 29. A former professor at Princeton University, he retired from the University of Michigan in 1985 as professor emeritus of otolaryngology, physiology, and psychology.
Born in Remsen, N.Y. to the Rev. George W. Lawrence and Alice Bowne Lawrence, he spent his early years in Owosso, Mich., followed by high school in Ocean City, N.J. While in high school he became interested in amateur radio and electronics, obtaining his amateur radio license at the age of 17. After a year at Peddie School he entered Princeton University in the class of 1938 with plans of entering the Johns Hopkins Medical School after graduation. Before doing so, however, he entered Princeton Graduate School, simultaneously taking a job with Princeton professor E. G. Wever, who was looking for a lab assistant with knowledge of electronics who could carry out experimental surgery on animals. Dr. Lawrence had taken animal surgery as his senior thesis at Princeton.
With Dr. Wever, Dr. Lawrence published several papers on using the electrical response of the ear to calibrated sound as a measuring technique. He received his Ph.D. in 1941, publishing his thesis on "Vitamin A Deficiency And Its Relation To Hearing," and earned a National Research Council Fellowship to begin work in the Otology Department of the Johns Hopkins Medical School.
But World War II intervened. In May 1941, he volunteered to enter the service as a Naval aviator, receiving his wings and commission in April, 1942. Following three months of advanced training in Navy patrol planes, in 1942 he was ordered to join a Catalina squadron in the South Pacific, where he flew patrols from Naval bases at Midway, Guadalcanal, and other Solomon Islands.
Over the Green Islands, while engaged in combat with three enemy ships, he was wounded by enemy fire. For his valor in service he was awarded the Silver Star Medal, Purple Heart, Distinguished Flying Cross with Oak Leaf Cluster, Air Medal with three oak-leaf clusters, and other medals including the Asiatic Pacific Area Campaign medal with three battle stars. Returning to the U.S. in December 1943, he was assigned as a flight instructor at the Naval Air Station in Pensacola, Fla. There he worked on the design of quick-release parachutes and the acoustics of microphones in oxygen masks.
After a year at Pensacola he was transferred to the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery in Washington, D.C. One of the earliest Navy helicopter pilots, he subsequenly evaluated models of future Naval aircraft from the pilot's viewpoint, in the process publishing Human Factors in Engineering Design, for which he received a Commendation Medal from the Secretary of the Navy.
Released to inactive duty in March 1946 with the rank of Lt. Commander, he joined the Princeton University faculty as assistant professor in the Psychology Department. At the end of his first year at Princeton he published a laboratory manual, Studies In Human Behavior.
During the Korean conflict in 1950-51, he was recalled to active duty for a brief period as a training officer in a helicopter squadron in Lakehurst, N.J, training Navy helicopter pilots.
Back at Princeton, he presented his research on the ear in medical journals and at various medical societies. His work attracted the attention of Dr. A.C. Furstenberg, Dean of the University of Michigan Medical School, who invited Dr. Lawrence to join the Otolaryngology Department at the University of Michigan Medical School and set up a laboratory for Physiological Acoustics. In 1952 he did so, becoming full professor in 1957. His book Physiological Acoustics, co-authored by Dr. Wever, was published in 1954.
In 1961 he was appointed the first director of the Kresge Hearing Research Institute at Michigan, a position he held until 1983. During this period his research focused on the circulation of inner ear fluids, the physiological causes of Meniere's disease, and the influence of noise on the distortion pro-ducts of the ear.
His many academic awards and honors included the American Academy of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology Service Award; Award of Merit, Association for Research in Otolaryngology; Gold Medal Award, American Otological Society; Distinguished Service Award, Princeton Class of 1938; and Distinguished Lifetime Achievement Award, American Academy of Audiology, among others. For many years he served as consultant to the Army Surgeon General's Office and National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Blindness. He also served on the editorial board of the Archives of Otolaryngology, the Journal of Otology, and others.
He was a member of the International Collegium Oto-Rhino-Laryngologicum Amicitiae Sacrum.
Following retirement in 1985, he and his wife Bobbie spent their winters in Vero Beach, Fla. and the Cayman Islands. Accompanied by their three children, they took many camping trips and cruises in the Caribbean.
Dr. Lawrence was an avid amateur radio operator, scuba diver, underwater photographer, master swimmer, and recreational glider pilot. He was a former president of the Ann Arbor Figure Skating Club and Ann Arbor Rotary Club.
He is survived by his wife of 64 years, Roberta (Bobbie) Lawrence; three children, Linda A. Lawrence of Ann Arbor, Roberta Lawrence Henderson of Bloomfield Hills, Mich., and James B. Lawrence of Ann Arbor; five grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.
Memorial contributions may be sent to the Merle Lawrence Research Fund, Department of Otolaryngology, Medical School, University of Michigan.
Town Topics® may be purchased on Wednesday mornings at the following locations: Princeton McCaffreys, Coxs, Kiosk (Palmer Square), Krauszers (State Road), Olives, Speedy Mart (State Road), Wawa (University Place); Hopewell Village Express; Rocky Hill Wawa (Route 518); Pennington Pennington Market.
Copyright© Town Topics®, Inc. 2011.