Vol. LXIII, No. 22
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Irene Alford, 44, of Princeton, aka Stacey Mingo, died May 24 at Merwick Nursing Home.
Born in Trenton, she had been a lifelong Trenton resident before moving recently to Princeton.
Educated in the Trenton public school system, she was employed by ShopRite of Princeton for more than five years and recently by Wal-Mart Stores Inc. of Princeton.
She was a member of the 24 Club and Crawford House.
She was predeceased by her mother, Elizabeth Alford; a special mother, Margaret Mingo; and a brother, Ivy Mingo. She is survived by a daughter, Nyeisha Saunders; two sisters, Sandra Baskin and Patricia Mingo-Leverett; a brother, Johnny Alford; and three grandchildren.
The funeral service was June 1 at Jerusalem Baptist Church, 150 North Clinton Avenue, Trenton. Interment was in Ewing Cemetery.
Arrangements were by the Hughes Funeral Home, Trenton.
Philip G. Garrison, 84, a lifelong resident of Princeton, died May 23 at his Skillman residence.
A graduate of Princeton High School with the class of 1942, he served in the U.S. Army in World War II with the 101st Airborne Division, 215th Field Artillery Battalion. He was a survivor of the Battle of the Bulge. After the war, he was trained at Princeton University under the G.I. Bill as a machinist. He was employed for many years at ASCOP Industries and Industrial Reactor Laboratory in Plainsboro. He later became the owner of Guys Enterprises in Skillman.
He was predeceased by a brother, Robert Garrison, and a sister, Natalie Cirullo. He is survived by his wife of 64 years, Alice M. Garrison; a daughter, Sharon Worthington of Princeton; a son, James P. Garrison of Dublin, Ohio; a sister, Eleanor Pederson of Roosevelt, N.J.; and four grandchildren.
A private burial service was held at Rocky Hill Cemetery in Rocky Hill under the direction of the Kimble Funeral Home.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Disabled American Veterans, P.O. Box 14301, Cincinnati, Ohio 45250. Condolences may be sent online by visiting www.thekimblefuneralhome.com.
Kenneth Roland Kern, 87, of Skillman, died May 11 at Stonebridge at Montgomery in Skillman.
Born in Cleveland, Ohio, he was a graduate of Case Institute of Technology in 1947 in chemical engineering. In 1982, he established the Lester Kern 39 Computational Laboratory at Case Western Reserve in memory of his brother.
An Army veteran of World War II, he served in Europe where he earned the Purple Heart. He later became a captain in the reserve.
In 1955 he married Nancy Lee Huber of Baltimore, Md., and moved to Princeton, where, in 1956, he established a publishing firm that produced chemical and pharmaceutical directories. In 1970-71, he was featured in Whos Who in Finance and Industry.
Mr. and Mrs. Kern became involved with the Humane Society of the United States and the Princeton deer problem. Swareflex were donated and installed on The Great Road and deer accident signs were created and installed throughout Princeton Township. With the Humane Society, the couple introduced and pioneered the contraception program that is now in operation.
In his retirement, Mr. Kern created rock gardens and rock walls that make his property unique.
He is survived by his wife of 54 years, Nancy Lee Kern.
Funeral services and burial were private.
Arrangements were under the direction of The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.
Clotilde Sonnino Treves, 81, a longtime resident of Princeton, died May 15 at home after a long illness.
Born Clotilde Vera Rachele Sonnino in the Trastevere quarter of Rome in 1928, she was known as Clo to her many friends. She was the eldest child of a prominent Roman-Jewish family. Her father, Gabriel Sonnino, a civil court judge, was forced to flee Rome with his family in 1938. They went to Switzerland and emigrated to the U.S. in 1941.
Her family settled in New York City where she attended Hunter College High School and graduated near the top of her class. In 1949, she earned a B.A. degree cum laude in political science from Pembroke College of Brown University, and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
In 1952, she married Dr. Gino Treves of Turin, Italy. The couple moved to Princeton in 1958 so that Dr. Treves, an organic chemist, could join the research team at the newly constructed FMC research facility on Route 1.
A person of broad cultural, political, and academic interests, Mrs. Treves was a member of many community organizations from the 1950s through the 1980s. She served Brown in many posts including chairman of the New Jersey Alumni. She was on the boards of the League of Women Voters, the Parents Association of Princeton Day School, the Womens College Club of Princeton, and McCarter Associates. She also served on the board of AFS and as president of the Princeton Friends of Foreign Students.
Her intellectual interests informed her career choices. She was a language teacher and translator at the Berlitz and Inlingua Schools, and a researcher in Italian history at the Institute for Advanced Study. She was a real estate agent at Stockton Real Estate for three decades.
For the last 20 years of her life her activities became more focused on maintaining and operating her ancestral homestead near Rome, Casale Sonnino, where she continued her familys tradition of cultivating grapes and producing extra virgin olive oil. In the 1980s she opened the villas doors to guests, using her knowledge of Italian history, art, and culture to entertain them.
She is survived by her three children, George, Francis, and Claire; two brothers; and four grandchildren.
A memorial service celebrating her life will be held at the Unitarian-Universalist Congregation of Princeton, 50 Cherry Hill Road, this Saturday, June 6 at 11 a.m.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Clotilde Sonnino Treves Memorial Fund, Brown University, P.O. Box 1877, Providence, R.I. 02912.
Helen M. Morris, 93, of Kingston, died May 23 at Merwick Care Center in Princeton.
Born in Edinburgh, Scotland, she resided there until coming to the United States in 1953. She had been a resident of Kingston since 1967.
Mrs. Morris served in the W.A.A.F. (Royal Air Force) in the United Kingdom during World War II. She retired in 1980 from Princeton University after 20 years of service as an administrative assistant in the Development Office. After retirement, she volunteered at the Princeton YWCA for more than 20 years.
She was a member of the Daughters of Scotia No. 145, the Princeton Womens Club, Order of Eastern Star Morningstar Chapter No. 22, and Kingston Presbyterian Church.
Wife of the late Broughton A. Morris and stepmother of the late Robert Morris, she is survived by two stepchildren, Jean Ellison and Stuart Morris; a niece, Margaret M. Grieve of Tasmania, Australia; nine step-grandchildren; and many step-great grandchildren.
A memorial service was held at Kingston Presbyterian Church on June 2. Interment was private at the Allentown Methodist Church Cemetery, Allentown, N.J.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Kingston Presbyterian Church, P. O. Box 148, 4565 Route 27, Kingston, N.J. 08528-0148.
Arrangements were under the direction of the Kimble Funeral Home. Online condolences may be sent to www.thekimblefuneralhome.com.
Margaret Grace Krebs, 93, of Princeton Junction, died May 26 in the Park Place Care Center, Monmouth Junction.
Born in Brooklyn, she was raised in Maspeth, Queens, N.Y. She had resided in Princeton Junction since 1953.
A 1937 graduate of fashion design from Pratt Institute of Brooklyn, and a member of St. David the King Church in West Windsor, she taught adult continuing education at West Windsor Plainsboro High School.
She was employed as a seamstress for more than 30 years with Bambergers and Macys department stores in Princeton and the Quakerbridge Mall in Lawrenceville.
Wife of the late George Krebs, she is survived by three sons, Robert of Statham, Ga., William of Spring City, Pa., and George of Plainsboro; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
A memorial Mass was held on Saturday, May 30 at St. David the King Church in West Windsor. Burial was in Princeton Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the American Diabetes Association, 1701 North Beauregard Street, Alexandria, Va. 22311.
Arrangements were under the direction of The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.
Warren H. (Sam) Simmons III, 51, of Cranbury, formerly of Princeton, died May 23 in Chatham, Mass.
Born in Plainfield, he graduated from Wardlaw Country Day School in 1975. After attending Boston University, he returned to Plainfield before moving to the Princeton area, where he resided with his family until moving to Cranbury a few years ago.
Mr. Simmons was associated with the restaurant business for many years, managing The Alchemist & Barrister in Princeton before re-opening the Rocky Hill Inn. More recently he was involved in real estate and served as a volunteer at Princeton House Behavioral Health. For years, his love of music led him to weekend engagements playing drums with The Shaxe, a local band.
He is survived by his parents, Nancy Sullivan Simmons and Warren H. Simmons II; his wife, Deborah Fraser Simmons; two children, Katherine Simmons and Jonathan Simmons; an uncle, Douglas J. Simmons of Cave Creek, Arizona; and a close friend, Susan Norman.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. this Friday, June 5 at Trinity Church, Princeton.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to any Alzheimers Association or to Princeton House, c/o Princeton HealthCare System Foundation, 253 Witherspoon Street, Princeton 08540.
Arrangements are under the direction of Mather-Hodge Funeral Home, Princeton.
Victor G. Bruce, 88, of Princeton, died May 29 at home after a short struggle with cancer.
He was born in Butte, Montana, where his father was a mining engineer with Cyprus Mines Corp. He spent his youth in Cyprus, Colorado, and California.
While his family lived in Cyprus, he attended the American Community School in Beirut. He earned his undergraduate degree from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in 1942, and a Ph.D. from Stanford in 1950.
During World War II, he worked at the MIT Radiation Lab on the development of radar. After post-doctoral studies at Caltech and the State Serum Institute in Copenhagen, he joined the faculty of the Biology Department of Princeton University in 1956, where he remained until his retirement in 1982. His primary research focus was circadian rhythms in biological clocks.
He spent summers with family in Chilmark, Mass. from 1968 until his death.
He is survived by his wife, Nancy; three sons, Peter, James, and Andrew; and eight grandchildren.
Memorial contributions may be sent to Nature Conservancy, Attn: Treasury (Web/Support), 4245 North Fairfax Drive, Suite 100, Arlington, Va. 22203.
Arrangements are by the Kimble Funeral Home. Online condolences may be sent by visiting www.thekimblefuneralhome.com.
Town Topics® may be purchased on Wednesday mornings at the following locations: Princeton McCaffreys, Coxs, Kiosk (Palmer Square), Krauszers (State Road), Olives, Speedy Mart (State Road), Wawa (University Place); Hopewell Village Express; Rocky Hill Wawa (Route 518); Pennington Pennington Market.
Copyright© Town Topics®, Inc. 2011.