Town Topics — Princeton's Weekly Community Newspaper Since 1946.
Vol. LXIII, No. 51
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Coldwell Banker Princeton Office

Prudential Fox and Roach, Realtors

Gloria Nilson GMAC Real Estate

Henderson Sotheby's International Realty

N.T. Callaway Princeton Office

Stockton Real Estate, LLC

Weichert, Realtors

Advertise in Town Topics

Iris Interiors

Advertise in Town Topics

Weather Forecast

Topics in Brief
A Community Bulletin

On Wednesday December 23, at approximately 8:30 a.m. the State Department of Transportation will be plowing/removing snow on Nassau Street from Bayard Lane to Pine Street. The police department will post “Emergency No Parking” signs on the meters in the early morning. As the State clears each parking space, the Borough Police will remove the signs and the spaces can then be utilized.

Coalition for Peace Action (CFPA) tickets for the February 19 Judy Collins concert at McCarter Theatre are still available, and can be purchased using Visa, MasterCard, or American Express through the CFPA’s website,, or by calling (609) 924-5022 during the week. Tickets are $100 per person, or $125 for those who want the CFPA’s post-concert reception with Ms. Collins.

The Arts Council of Princeton, in cooperation with Palmer Square Management and the Nassau Inn, invites carolers of all ages to attend its annual Christmas Eve Caroling on Wednesday, December 24, at 5:30 p.m. on the Green at Palmer Square. The Blawenburg Brass Band will lead the festivities. Carolers are encouraged to bring candles, lanterns, flashlights, and bells. Song books will be provided. This event is free for people of all ages. For more information, call the Arts Council at (609) 924-8777 or log on at

As the weather becomes colder, the threat of CO (carbon monoxide) poisoning increases. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, about 170 people die each year in the United States from CO produced by non-automotive consumer products such as furnaces, ranges, water heaters, space heaters, generators, and fireplaces. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, poisonous gas that can deprive the body’s blood supply of oxygen. It is produced by the incomplete combustion of various fuels including coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, and natural gas. Pediatric Director of the Emergency Department at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center and Children’s Hospital of New Jersey Michael Rosen reported that exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide can lead to headaches, sleepiness, fatigue, confusion, and irritability and can have long-term effects on overall health. At higher levels, it can result in nausea, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, impaired vision, and coordination. At very high levels it can cause unconsciousness and death. Because these symptoms can be similar to the flu, many people do not realize that carbon monoxide poisoning is the source of their illness.

A carbon monoxide detector in the home is vital in detecting the poisonous gas. “Every home should have at least one CO detector,” said Mr. Rosen. “It should be considered just as important as a smoke detector and the batteries should be checked regularly.”

If you suspect that high levels of carbon monoxide are present in your home, you should get fresh air immediately. “Open doors and windows, turn off combustion appliances, and leave the house,” Mr. Rosen said. Most importantly, do not ignore symptoms, particularly if more than one person in the home is experiencing them. “You could lose consciousness and die if you do nothing,” Dr. Rosen added. If you suspect life-threatening problems due to carbon monoxide poisoning, call 9-1-1.

Return to Previous Story | Return to Top | Go to Sports

Town Topics® may be purchased on Wednesday mornings at the following locations: Princeton — McCaffrey’s, Cox’s, Kiosk (Palmer Square), Krauszer’s (State Road), Olives, Speedy Mart (State Road), Wawa (University Place); Hopewell — Village Express; Rocky Hill — Wawa (Route 518); Pennington — Pennington Market.
Copyright© Town Topics®, Inc. 2011.