Anita L. Anderson of Princeton died December 18 at home.
Born in Princeton, she resided most of her adult life in the Colts Neck area before moving back to Princeton in 2000. She was retired with more than 30 years of service as an elementary school teacher with the Freehold Township Board of Education.
She was a talented violinist and member of the New Jersey All State Orchestra.
Daughter of the late Joseph and Emily Maione Palumbo, she is survived by two sons, Kenneth of New York City and Thomas of Philadelphia; and two sisters, Elizabeth J. Steward of Princeton and Ruth S. Baggitt of Hopewell.
The funeral service will be today, December 21 at 1 p.m. at the Mather-Hodge Funeral Home, 40 Vandeventer Avenue. Burial will follow in Princeton Cemetery.
Friends may call today from 12:15 p.m. until the time of service.
In lieu of flowers memorial contributions may be made to Westminster Choir College, 100 Hamilton Avenue, Princeton 08540.
Mario Raphael D'Antonio, 79, of Princeton, died December 10 at home of pneumonia.
Born in Santa Lucia, Naples, he emigrated to Trenton at age 6 and grew up behind his father's barber shop on South Broad Street. By age 12 he was apprenticed to the tailoring department of the English Shop in Princeton. At 14 he travelled around Mercer County for Philco Radios, having earned a certificate in electronics at night while attending high school. In 1944 he graduated from Hamilton High School a year early as class valedictorian, so that he could enlist in the Army to serve in World War II. He received the Medal of Good Conduct, the American Theater Ribbon, and the World War II Victory Ribbon.
He attended Lehigh University under the G.I. bill, earning two degrees in three years, a bachelor of arts in mathematics and a bachelor of science in industrial engineering. He was a graduate of the class of 1950. At Lehigh he was a member of Phi Sigma Kappa, the Delta Omicron Theta Honorary Debating fraternity, and the Pi Delta Epsilon journalism fraternity.
In the early 1950s, while launching what would become New Jersey's largest textile manufacturing business, he taught mathematics at The Lawrenceville School and Trenton Junior College.
Licensed by the New Jersey Society of Professional Engineers his whole life, he worked as a design engineer on the Manhattan Project, the secret government effort that led to the creation of the atomic bomb.
He founded Trenton Textile Manufacturing Company in 1959 and became the capital's second largest employer, at one time employing more than 500 people in his plant on Perry Street. His East Wind Industries in Dover, Del., and later in Clayton, Del., became the second largest employer in Delaware after DuPont de Nemours. East Wind was a $45 million defense contracting business, supplying the military with equipage.
Long after retiring he was invited back into the engineering consulting business by Genesis Ltd. of Newtown, Pa., whom he advised on government contracts and procurement for the American and Iraqi military. His work took him all over Europe and Russia.
He was a founding member of Trenton Junior College, which became Mercer County Community College. He also headed the Mercer County Improvement Authority, responsible for linking up Princeton and Trenton with the Mercer Metro bus system from 1968 to 1970; and was chairman of the Mercer County Democratic Party in the early 1970s. He donated liberally to Stuart Country Day School, helping to launch the school.
Mr. D'Antonio served on the American Arbitration Association, settling labor disputes outside of the courts. He was decorated a cavaliere of the Stella della Solidareta Italiana; named an Honorary Citizen of the worldwide charity Boys' Towns of Italy, and a director of the Boys' Club of Trenton; and honored with numerous awards for the Cancer Crusade of the New Jersey Division of the American Cancer Society. He was also a director of the Helene Fuld Medical Center in Trenton for decades, a member of Trenton Country Club, and a donor to the YMCA of Trenton, which conferred upon him membership in its Century Club.
He was a lifelong member of The Aquinas Institute in Princeton, attending mass regularly.
Fluent in Italian, Spanish, and English, he could quote volumes of poetry by heart.
He was an advanced pilot in the United States Power Squadrons and an active boater all his life. He was also a raconteur and an avid reader and consumer of news.
Pre-deceased by his wife Yolanda, he is survived by his partner, Lilian Kaplan of Princeton and Deerfield Beach, Fla.; a son, John of Titusville; a daughter, Ann D'Antonio Dry of Wassenaar, The Netherlands; and five grandchildren.
A funeral mass was held December 17 at The Thomas Aquinas Institute. It was followed by the interment of his ashes at Greenwood Cemetery, Trenton.
Arrangements were under the direction of The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.
Ernest George Schwiebert, Ph.D., 74, of Princeton, died December 10 at home. He was an architect, writer, and noted fly-fisherman.
He made scholarly contributions throughout his life as a writer, architect, and student of the art and science of fly-fishing for trout and salmon. He wrote more than 15 books about fly-fishing and architecture.
He received his bachelor's degree in architecture from Ohio State University in 1956. As an officer with the Air Force, he was a member of the architectural team that planned and built the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo. While there, he married Sara Mills in 1957.
Following the Air Force project, he entered graduate school at Princeton University in fine arts and architecture and planning, where he was the Lowell Palmer Fellow in Architecture from 1958 to 1962. He subsequently earned a master of fine arts in architecture and dual Ph.D. degrees in fine arts in architecture and planning and in philosophy in the history of architecture, also at Princeton. He practiced architecture and planning for 15 years in New York, Puerto Rico, Chile, Pakistan, Tibet, Malaysia, Australia, and Argentina.
He was best known for his extensive writings about fly-fishing. His books include Matching the Hatch, Nymphs, Salmon of the World, and the two-volume Trout and its subsequent re-publications. He wrote numerous magazine articles and short stories which were published in such collections as Remembrances of Rivers Past, Death of a Riverkeeper, and A River for Christmas. His recent writings included contributions to The New York Times and Hemispheres magazine.
His numerous awards and honors included the Gold Medal of the American Institute of Architects, The Arnold Gingrich Literary Prize, the Aldo Starker Leopold Memorial Award, and life memberships with the Theodore Gordon Flyfishers, Federation of Flyfishers, and the Anglers Club of New York. He was a member of the Henryville Flyfishers, the Spring Ridge Club, and many other anglers clubs.
He is survived by his wife of 48 years, Sara; a son, Erik, of Birmingham, Ala.; and two grandchildren.
A memorial service is planned for early spring in Princeton.
Barbara Hadley Stein, 89, of Princeton, died December 9 at home.
Born in Kingston, R.I., she was the third child of Ruth Canedy, an educator, and Philip Hadley, a biologist, both of Shelburne Falls, Mass. Because of her mother's teaching positions in Europe in the aftermath of the World War I, she attended the International School in Geneva and the Odenvald School in Germany's Black Forest area. In New England, she attended Crittenden primary school in Shelburne Falls and Concord Academy in Massachusetts, and graduated from the George School in Newtown, Pa., in 1934.
After graduating from Smith College magna cum laude in Spanish and Latin American history in 1938, she taught in a rural primary school in Michoacan, Mexico. She then obtained an M.A. in Latin American History from the University of California at Berkeley in 1940, while taking the census and working in a cannery. Under the Good Neighbor Policy of President Franklin Roosevelt, she was appointed a State Department Exchange Fellow to study the abolition of slavery in Brazil as a social and political movement. In Brazil she met Stanley J. Stein, also on a graduate fellowship in history. They married in September 1943, shortly before he was sent to the European Theater as a naval officer in the Second World War.
After a teaching fellowship at Smith College, Mrs. Stein joined the war effort in Washington, D.C. Drawing on her knowledge of Latin America, she worked as a labor economist first in the Department of Labor and then in Nelson Rockefeller's Office of Coordinator of Inter-American Affairs. Like many professional women of her generation, she turned her focus after the war to raising a family, while maintaining an active interest in Latin American history. Between 1945 and 1953 she and her husband, a graduate student at Harvard University, lived in Cambridge and Newton, Mass. In 1953, she moved to Princeton, where her husband joined Princeton University's History Department.
As a young mother, she was active in local educational and political organizations and shared her interests in music, art, and the outdoors with her children. With her family, she maintained a close connection to the land and history of New England, spending many summer months in Ashfield, Mass. It was also important to her to have her children with her while collaborating with her husband on field research in Brazil (1948-49), Mexico (1958-59) and France, Spain, and England (1965-66).
In the 1960s she added a third career as Princeton University's first bibliographer for Latin American and Iberian Acquisitions. In that capacity, she formulated a long-term acquisitions policy and published Latin America: A Guide to Sources in the Princeton University Library (1977) and Latin America: Serials in the Social Sciences and Humanities in the Princeton University Library (1964 and 1977). She also expanded the Library's Braziliana materials, and initiated the collection of Latin American ephemera.
Her numerous published articles included Brazil as Seen from Alabama, 1862, Princeton University Library Chronicle (1967), and Concepts and Realities of Spanish Economic Growth, Historia Iberica (1972).
In 1969, she co-authored with her husband The Colonial Heritage of Latin America, which became a classic in its field. In 1977 she resigned from her position as bibliographer to dedicate herself to full-time research and writing, co-authoring, again with her husband, D.C.M. Platt; the Anatomy of 'Autonomy' (1980). In 2000 she and her husband published the first of a multi-volume study, Silver, Trade and War: Spain and America in the Making of Early Modern Europe; and in 2003, Apogee of Empire: Spain and New Spain in the Age of Charles III.
She is survived by her husband Stanley, Professor Emeritus at Princeton; three children, Margot Ballou Stein of Chapel Hill, N.C., Peter Gore Stein of Ardmore, Pa., and Joelle Hadley Stein of Belmont, Mass.; and four grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held at the Princeton University Chapel on Saturday, January 21 at 1 p.m.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Princeton Regional Scholarship Foundation, Princeton High School, 151 Moore Street, Princeton 08540; or to Princeton Hospice, 208 Bunn Drive, Princeton 08540.
Arrangements are by the Star of David Memorial Chapel, Princeton.
Return to Top | Go to Weddings/Engagements