Town Topics — Princeton's Weekly Community Newspaper Since 1946.
Vol. LXII, No. 33
 
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Coldwell Banker Princeton Office

Prudential Fox and Roach, Realtors

Gloria Nilson GMAC Real Estate

Henderson Sotheby's International Realty

N.T. Callaway Princeton Office

Stockton Real Estate, LLC

Weichert, Realtors



Advertise in Town Topics

Iris Interiors


Advertise in Town Topics

Weather Forecast


Obituaries

Annelise Sorensen Kennan

Susan Malinda Stoltzfus

George Conover

Amanda Lewis Meyer

G. Tyson Maroon

Ruth Hutson

R. Wayne Yoder

Eleanor T. Breithaupt

Madeline M. Wallmark

Phyllis H. Weingart

Irene P. Wynne



Annelise Sorensen Kennan

Annelise Sorensen Kennan

Annelise Sorensen Kennan, 98, of Princeton, wife of diplomat and historian George F. Kennan, died peacefully, at home on August 7. She had been married to Ambassador Kennan for 74 years when he died in 2005 at the age of 101.

The eldest of four children of Einar and Elisabeth Sorensen, she was born and raised in Kristiansand, Norway.

After attending high school in Kristiansand, she moved to Berlin, Germany, where she worked taking care of children while pursuing language studies. It was in Berlin that she met her future husband, who as a young Foreign Service officer was also studying languages in Berlin at the time. They were married in Kristiansand in 1930.

A consummate hostess, she used her gift for entertaining to be a successful wife and partner to her husband in his diplomatic career. That career resulted in their living in a variety of different cities in Europe, including Riga, Moscow, Prague, Berlin, Lisbon, and Belgrade. However, she always had a close relationship with Norway, and when her parents died in the early 1960s she inherited a summer cottage on the coast outside Kristiansand. She and her husband spent virtually every summer there from 1964 to 1995, hosting many friends and family members over the years.

The Kennans bought their house on Hodge Road in Princeton in 1950. When Ambassador Kennan retired from the State Department in 1953, they moved to Princeton full time. In Princeton, Mrs. Kennan was an active member of the Princeton Garden Club and a devoted member of a ladies reading group known as the Monday Group.

She is survived by her four children, Grace Kennan Warnecke of New York City, Joan Kennan Delany of Washington, D.C., Christopher Kennan of Millerton, N.Y., and Wendy Kennan of Cornwall, U.K.; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

The funeral was August 9 at Trinity Church, 33 Mercer Street. Burial was in Princeton Cemetery.

Arrangements were under the direction of The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.


Susan Malinda Stoltzfus

Susan Malinda Stoltzfus

Susan Malinda Stoltzfus, 43, of North Brunswick, a massage therapist, personal trainer, and equestrian, died August 1 at the University Medical Center at Princeton after a courageous battle with cancer.

Born in Washington, D.C., she was the daughter of William Alfred Stoltzfus Jr. and the late Janet Sorg Stoltzfus. She grew up in Africa and the Middle East, moving to Princeton in 1976. She graduated from Princeton Day School and received her B.A. in French from Macalester College in 1986, studying for a year in Avignon, France.

Her personal pursuits and choice of profession reflected her nurturing, generous character and joy in all living things. After graduating from college, she studied massage therapy in Seattle and returned to New Jersey to be closer to home when her mother was re-diagnosed with cancer. In Princeton, she continued her work as a massage therapist and personal trainer at Momentum Fitness Health Club, and later formed her own company, Life Force Massage. She devoted much of her time recently to riding and caring for her beloved horse, Tyler Rose.

A committed distance runner, she also completed 15 marathons in the United States and abroad. At the time of her death, she was training to become a master gardener.

She met her husband, Howie Tabachnick, a certified public accountant, in Princeton. They married in a private ceremony in the Grand Canyon after a long friendship and partnership.

In addition to her father and husband, she is survived by two brothers, Bill Stoltzfus and Philip Stoltzfus; and two sisters, Winnie Host and Rebecca Dineen.

A private family service was held in Vermont on August 9. A memorial service will be held at Pretty Brook Farm in Princeton tomorrow, August 14 at 4 p.m.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Horse Rescue, Relief and Retirement Fund, Inc., at www.savethehorses.org; or Greyhound Friends of NJ, Inc., at www.greyhoundfriendsnj.org.

George Conover

George Conover, 89, of Jamesburg, formerly of Princeton, died August 8 at the University Medical Center at Princeton.

Born in Dutch Neck, he had been a Princeton resident before moving to Jamesburg in 1992. 

He graduated from the Mercersburg Academy in Mercersburg, Pa. and Rider University. He was a proud veteran of the United States Air Force.

He was the sole proprietor of Nassau Conover FLM Motor Company in Princeton for more than four decades, first at its original site in downtown Princeton and then at the corner of Cherry Valley Road and Route 206. He was the first to locate a car dealership in what later became known as Princeton’s New Car Row. As proprietor, he was one of the most respected Ford Lincoln Mercury dealers in the nation, frequently consulted by Lee Iacocca and Henry Ford II. His dealership was known for its customer service long before it became a marketing tool by the national brands.

He served as a proud member of the Ford Dealer Council in Detroit and was a past president of NJADA. After he sold the dealership to his friend Steve Kalafer, he remained informally connected to the business. As a result, many of his employees remain with the Princeton and Flemington dealerships.

Known for his impeccable dress and gracious manner, Mr. Conover dedicated his life to his community and family. He devoted 40 years of service to the Princeton Medical Center by serving as president of both the board of directors and the PMC Foundation. He also served on boards for the American Red Cross, Princeton Savings and Loan, YMCA, Horizon Bancorp, and the Rotary Club, who named him Princeton’s Man of the Year. He also helped to found Princeton Cross Town, a free car service for seniors in Princeton. He was an active member of The Princeton Chamber of Commerce.

He was a member of Springdale Golf Club and the Nassau Club of Princeton.

He was predeceased by his parents, Rose and Walter F. Conover Sr.; his first wife, Katharine D. Conover; a son, Kevin E. Conover; and a sister, Dorothy Mather. He is survived by his wife Rosann Kellner Conover of Monroe Township; a daughter, Robin E. Conover of Sparta; a brother, Walter F. Conover Jr. of Bradenton, Fla.; three stepsons, George Kellner of Easton, Conn., Chuck Kellner of Seneca, S.C., and Dan Kellner of McKinney, Tex.; a stepdaughter, Connie Newcamp of Hopewell; three grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and nine stepgrandchildren.

A memorial service will be held this Friday, August 15 at 11 a.m. at Nassau Presbyterian Church, 61 Nassau Street.

Memorial contributions may be made to Princeton Health Care System Foundation, dedicated to the new University Medical Center at Princeton, 253 Witherspoon Street, Princeton 08540.

Arrangements are under the direction of The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.


Amanda Lewis Meyer

Amanda Lewis Meyer

Amanda Lewis Meyer, 51, of Princeton, died August 1 in New York State as a result of a motor vehicle accident.

Born in Bloomington, Ind., her formative years were spent in New Delhi, India. She returned to the Princeton area as a teenager and had resided here since.

She was a homemaker for the past few years, spending time caring for her family. She was employed as an Undergraduate Coordinator for the Chemical Engineering Department of Princeton University until 2005.

She was predeceased by her husband Bruce Meyer in October 2007.

She is survived by her parents, Dr. John P. Lewis and June R. Lewis of Montgomery Township; two daughters, Deanna Mitnaul of Princeton and Marissa Mitnaul of Union City, N.J.; two sisters, Betsy Alvarez and Sally Lewis-LaMonica; and two grandsons.

A graveside committal of her cremated remains took place August 9 at Ten Mile Run Cemetery, Franklin Township.

Arrangements were by the Kimble Funeral Home, Princeton.


G. Tyson Maroon

G. Tyson Maroon

G. Tyson Maroon, 78, of Skillman, died August 8 at the University Medical Center at Princeton.

Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., he moved with his family to Mendham, N.J. in 1966 and lived there until 1990 when he moved to Skillman.

He received his bachelor’s degree from Fordham University and did graduate work at Columbia and New York University. After retiring from Schering Corporation as product manager for Coricidin cold products in 1976, he pursued his love for New York and began his real estate career at Kassis Associates Real Estate Firm, subsequently becoming senior vice president of Cushman and Wakefield Real Estate. He soon became one on the firm’s top brokers, representing many Fortune 500 firms, service organizations, and overseas companies.

Known for his creative and innovative approach, he arranged the joint venture between Rockefeller Center Development Corporation and Lakeland Industrial Park, which led to the 670-acre International Trade Center in Mt. Olive, N.J., one of the largest real estate projects in America. He then became its Director of Leasing.

For the past seven years he was with Prudential Real Estate in Princeton.

He was the founder of the New York Optimist Club and a dedicated New York Rotarian. His proudest achievement was serving as chairman of the Project New York committee in 1975 when New York was almost bankrupt, which eventually led to the highly successful “I Love New York” campaign. He was presented the key to New York City by Mayor Koch for his dedication.

He was a member of St. Charles Borromeo Church, the Old Guard of Princeton, and Cherry Valley Country Club. He was also a volunteer at Acorn Glen Nursing home and the Trenton Soup Kitchen.

He is survived by his wife of 44 years, Anita; two daughters, Donna Arsenault of Medford, N.J. and Nina Lustik of Robbinsville, N.J.; a sister, Laurice Maloof of Poughkeepsie, N.Y.; and five grandchildren.

He loved and enjoyed being with his grandchildren and always strived to teach them the power of positive thinking in their lives.

A Mass of Christian burial was celebrated August 12 at St. Charles Borromeo Church, Skillman. Interment will be private.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the National Stroke Association, 9707 East Easter Lane, Centennial, Colo. 80112, also at www.stroke.org.

Ruth Hutson

Ruth Hutson, 85, of Princeton, died July 22 in the University Medical Center at Princeton.

Born in Astoria, Queens, she grew up in Staten Island, N.Y. She had resided in Princeton since 1950.

Wife of the late Holmes Hutson, she is survived by two daughters, Elizabeth Le Prevost and Sally Heiter; two sons, Roy and Fred Hutson; a sister, Erica Kelly; and four grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. this Saturday, August 16 at Trinity Church, 33 Mercer Street. Burial will be in Princeton Cemetery.

Arrangements are under the direction of The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.

R. Wayne Yoder

R. Wayne Yoder, 86, of West Windsor, died August 10 at the University Medical Center at Princeton.

Born at his grandparents’ home in Windber, Pa., he was the son of a postman, Samuel Newton Yoder, and his wife, Gladys. He grew up in Windber, surrounded by family, friends, and nearby farms. At an early age he was influenced by his father, an avid stamp and coin collector, and started his own collections. He relied on coins for good luck and carried three pennies in his pocket throughout his lifetime.

After graduating from Windber High School in 1939, he left his hometown to attend Pennsylvania State College, where he studied agronomy. While there, he was active in the Alpha Kappa Pi fraternity and a member of the Thespian Society, serving as its costume director.

He served in the Naval Reserve upon graduation, training at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana.

In June 1944, he married Kathryn Mulhollen. Two years later, he took a job with American Cyanamid working in New York City and then in New Jersey. He never worked anywhere else. He was Sales Manager in the Plant Food Division.

He loved the outdoors, especially tending his lawn. He also enjoyed golf, playing the guitar and piano, and listening to honky-tonk music. An ardent Republican, he was proud of the fact that he never owned a foreign car.

He was a master mason, a member of the Tall Cedars of Lebanon, and a volunteer with Habitat for Humanity. A grandson of a Mennonite minister, he became a member of the Presbyterian Church of Lawrenceville.

He is survived by his wife, Kay; three children, Charlotte Longo of Newbern, N.C., Thomas Yoder of Summit, N.J., and Carolyn Yoder of Lawrenceville; a sister, Phyllis Penrod of Johnstown, Pa.; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

The funeral service will be this Friday, August 15 at 10 a.m. at the Presbyterian Church of Lawrenceville, 2688 Main Street, Lawrenceville.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Capital Campaign Fund for the Presbyterian Church of Lawrenceville, 2688 Main Street, Lawrenceville 08648.

Eleanor T. Breithaupt

Eleanor Thomson Breithaupt, 98, of Boynton Beach, Fla., died August 4.

Born in Pittsburgh, Pa., she resided in Montclair, New Jersey for 27 years. She retired with her husband to Ormond Beach, Fla. in 1970 before moving to Boynton Beach in 2004.

In the 1920s she played saxophone in an all-girls dance band. In the 1950s and 1960s she worked as an assistant town clerk, and in her 80s she held responsible positions in her church, hiring new ministers. Even in her 90s she organized her church’s soup kitchen coverage.

With her husband she traveled to many parts of the world after retirement, last visiting England and Belgium when she was 88. She retained her sense of fun throughout her life.

Predeceased by her husband of 52 years, Frank F. Breithaupt, in 1985, she is survived by a daughter, Virginia Lee Burgess of Delray Beach, Fla.; a son, David Breithaupt of Princeton; three grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held at a later date.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Scholarship Fund of the American Business Women’s Association of Delray Beach, c/o Virginia Lee Burgess, 6580 Sleepy Willow Way, Delray Beach, Fla. 33484; or to Ormond Beach Presbyterian Church, 105 Amsden Road, Ormond Beach, Fla. 32176.


Madeline M. Wallmark

Madeline M. Wallmark

Madeline M. Wallmark, 94, of Princeton, died August 5 in the University Medical Center at Princeton.

Born in St. Louis, Mo., she was a lifelong Princeton resident.

Mrs. Wallmark retired in 1983 with over 27 years of service as a statistician with Educational Testing Service. Prior to her employment with ETS, she worked at RCA in 1946 and 1947. She was Sweden’s first computer programmer and worked with the BARK Computer in 1949.

During World War II, she was a WIRE — Women Instructors in Radio Engineering.

She attended the Unitarian Universalist Church of Princeton and taught English as a Second Language. She enjoyed golf, contract bridge, and traveling.

Daughter of the late John and Margaret (Volltrauer) Mihelyi and wife of the late John Torkel Wallmark, she is survived by two sons, John Sigurd Wallmark and John Torbjörn Wallmark; and two grandchildren.

A memorial service was held August 10 at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Princeton.

Arrangements were under the direction of The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.

Phyllis H. Weingart

Phyllis Hoagland Weingart, 86, of Basking Ridge, formerly of Princeton and Rocky Hill, died August 3 in Morristown Memorial Hospital in Morristown.

Born in Griggstown, she married the late Edward Francis Weingart of New Brunswick in 1943.

She was a loving and thoughtful grandmother, sister, aunt, and wife, and a dedicated and guiding mother. She loved playful exchanges with her sons-in-law and treated them as though they were her own. She was firmly grounded in her community, and remembered every person, every occasion, and every friend and story. She valued hard work, commitment to the family, and in particular, love and affection. She worked hard to raise three strong women and help out with her nieces and nephews. A generous person, she was closely connected to all of her extended family, never missing a birthday or baptism. Her work ethic, stemming from a childhood on the farm, continued throughout her life as she took on numerous professions as a baker, beautician, bus driver, and homemaker.

Predeceased by her husband Eddie and a sister, Esther Hoagland Robbins, she is survived by three daughters, Kathleen Harkness, Aleta Schnaitter, and Sally Barkand; two brothers, Kenneth and Raymond R. Hoagland; and four grandchildren.

The funeral was August 9 at the First Reformed Church of Rocky Hill. Burial was in Rocky Hill Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be sent to the First Reformed Church of Rocky Hill, Washington Street, P.O. Drawer L, Rocky Hill 08553.

Arrangements were by The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.

Irene P. Wynne

Irene Paris Wynne, 90, of Princeton, died August 1. 

Born in Maracaibo, Venezuela, she was educated in Venezuela, Switzerland, and New York City. While employed at Creole Petroleum Corporation in Venezuela, she met her future husband, Hugh de N. Wynne, a geologist with the company. After Mr.Wynne’s service in the U.S. Army during World War II, the family returned to Venezuela. Mrs. Wynne and her family also lived in New York City, Argentina, Libya, and Spain, before she and her husband retired to Princeton in 1975.

Mrs. Wynne was a leader in volunteer organizations throughout her life. In 1957 she co-founded the Asociacion de Guias de Venezuela (the Venezuelan Girl Scouts) and co-authored the organization’s first Girl Scout Manual. While living in New York City from 1960 to 1962, she translated pamphlets and articles from English to Spanish for use by the Girl Scout associations in Central and South America. A member of the national board of the Asociacion de Guias Argentinas and chairman of the Publications Committee, she translated the manual of the Girl Guides of Great Britain from English to Spanish for publication, and wrote and produced a monthly scout magazine, Nosotras. She was a past member of the North Atlantic Regional Council of the American Girl Scouts. 

Her volunteer activities also included the American Boy Scouts in Tripoli, Libya. In Madrid, Spain, she was a member of the board of directors of the American School of Madrid and the American Women’s Club.

After retiring to Princeton, she was generous hostess to her husband’s Princeton University class of 1939 and was active in several organizations. She was co-founder in 1978 of the Grupo Latinoamericano de Mujeres (Latin American Women’s Group), an organization dedicated to the art, politics, and culture of Latin America and community service, and chaired its Program  Committee. Her interest in supporting foreign students led to her involvement in the Host Family and Individual English Conversation Program at the International Center of Princeton University. She also served as president, vice president, and trustee of the Friends of the International Center and was named an honorary trustee for her exceptional service. She was also a trustee of the American Red Cross for Central New Jersey and, for many years, a volunteer for Meals on Wheels. Additionally, she served as a volunteer interpreter for the Community Health Clinic of Princeton Hospital and the Marie H. Katzenbach School for the Deaf in Trenton.

Predeceased by her husband and a daughter, Audrey Wynne, she is survived by a daughter, Diane Mercer; a son, Hugh Wynne; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held August 16 at 11:30 a.m. at the Princeton University Chapel.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Princeton Healthcare System Foundation, 253 Witherspoon Street, Princeton 08540; or to the American Red Cross of Central New Jersey, 707 Alexander Road, Suite 101, Princeton 08540.

Arrangements are under the direction of The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.

Return to Top | Go to People


Town Topics® may be purchased on Wednesday mornings at the following locations: Princeton — McCaffrey’s, Cox’s, Kiosk (Palmer Square), Krauszer’s (State Road), Olives, Speedy Mart (State Road), Wawa (University Place); Hopewell — Village Express; Rocky Hill — Wawa (Route 518); Pennington — Pennington Market.
Copyright© Town Topics®, Inc. 2011.