Town Topics — Princeton's Weekly Community Newspaper Since 1946.
Vol. LXIII, No. 17
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Coldwell Banker Princeton Office

Prudential Fox and Roach, Realtors

Gloria Nilson GMAC Real Estate

Henderson Sotheby's International Realty

N.T. Callaway Princeton Office

Stockton Real Estate, LLC

Weichert, Realtors

Advertise in Town Topics

Iris Interiors

Advertise in Town Topics

Weather Forecast


David Lewis Edge

Ruth G. Jurji

John Danielson

Patricia F. Borns

Lawrence P. Riddering

Jerome B. Halter

David Lewis Edge

David Lewis Edge

David Lewis Edge, 37, of West Jefferson, N.C.. formerly of Princeton, died April 25 at the Watauga Medical Center in Boone, North Carolina after a long illness.

Born in Plattsburgh, New York, he moved to the Princeton area in September 1971 and was educated in the Hopewell Valley Regional School system. He later graduated from Valley Forge Military Academy in Wayne, Pa., where he achieved the rank of Cadet Captain and was the Company Commander of the Field Music Unit. While a cadet at Valley Forge Military Academy, he was awarded the Order of Anthony Wayne.

He attended CUNY Brooklyn College where he received his Associates Degree in architectural design. An avid musician, he studied percussion under the famed jazz musician and former college professor Tony DeNicola. He then participated in several rock bands and performed original music compositions in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and several southeastern states.

Mr. Edge was president of Edge & Blakeley, Inc., a specialty concrete company that manufactured concrete products, concrete countertops, and concrete objects of art.

A beloved son and loving husband and father, he is survived by his wife, Maria Edge; two sons, David José Edge and Gerry Ramirez of West Jefferson; his mother, Suzanne L. Montgomery of West Jefferson; his father, Lewis A. Edge Jr. of Princeton; and two sisters, Anne-Reid Edge Goldenbaum of Langhorne, Pa. and Amanda Brooke Edge of West Jefferson.

A brief memorial service will be held on Sunday, May 3 at 2 p.m. at Mr. Edge’s former home, 167 Buffalo Meadows Road, West Jefferson, N.C. 28694, followed by a reception.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the St. Jude’s Children’s Fund for Cancer Research or the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation.

Arrangements are by the Boone Family Funeral Home of West Jefferson, N.C. Condolences may be offered at

Ruth G. Jurji

Ruth G. Jurji, 87, of Monroe Township, formerly of Princeton, died April 6 at Monroe Village.

The daughter of Clarence and Laura Guinter, she was born in Wukari, Nigeria, where her parents were missionaries. She spent her childhood in England and in Pennsylvania and received nursing degrees from New York University and Columbia. In the late 1940s she worked at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center and in the early 1950s was Supervisor of Surgical Nursing at the American University of Beirut. During that period of time she began her extensive travels, with time spent in various areas of the Middle East. Upon returning to New York she became Assistant Director of Nursing Service at Columbia Presbyterian.

In 1957 she married Edward J. Jurji, Professor of History of Religions at Princeton Theological Seminary and minister of the Fourth Avenue Presbyterian Church in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. So in addition to being a faculty wife in Princeton and caring for her disabled mother, Mrs. Jurji led the Sunday School and assisted the Women’s Association and the Youth Group at the Bay Ridge Church on weekends. During the 33 years of her marriage, she accompanied her husband in travels related to his work, twice around the world. The trips included an extended period in Madras, India, where her husband was on a Fulbright Grant, and visits to religious scholars in three continents in preparation for a world religions conference at Princeton Theological Seminary.

The Jurjis moved to Monroe Village in 1989, where Mr. Jurji died the following year. She remained active there, working on various committees and auditing many courses at Princeton University.

She is survived by her step-son, David Jurji of Arroyo Grande, Calif.; a step-granddaughter, Susan Oxtoby of Berkeley, Calif.; and a step-grandson, David Oxtoby of Toronto, Canada.

John Danielson

John Danielson, 73, a resident of Princeton almost continuously since arriving as a freshman at Princeton University in 1954, died April 13 at home, surrounded by his family.

Born in Hartford, Connecticut, he spent the first nine years of his life in Danielson, Conn. and the rest of his childhood in Windham, Conn. He also lived in Switzerland and Monroe, Washington, as well as Princeton.

Mr. Danielson attended Princeton from 1954 to 1958, where he was active in campus affairs, serving as a guide for visitors and making many friends, particularly among his co-workers in the dining hall. Following graduation, he spent a year at Johns Hopkins Medical School in Baltimore and a second year pursuing scientific research in Switzerland before returning to Princeton in 1960.

In Princeton until 1979, and again after 1988, he worked in the University Admissions and Financial Aid offices before becoming Executive Director of the Princeton Summer Camp in 1971. He was also active in a number of community groups, particularly the Youth Council and the Council of Community Services.

In 1979, Mr. Danielson moved with his wife Charlotte and their young family to the Pacific Northwest, where they spent the next nine years pursuing a dream of establishing an intentional community, using sustainable agriculture and green construction. The result of those efforts was a passive solar house that was well in advance of its time, and experience with organic and sustainable food production.

The family returned to Princeton in 1988, when Mr. Danielson assumed a position with Princeton’s Development Office, and then with the Princeton Blairstown Center. He held this position until he was forced to retire in 2000, due to a diagnosis of cancer and challenging recovery from extensive surgery.

Mr. Danielson’s contribution to the Princeton area lay in his vision for the Princeton Summer Camp, later re-named the Princeton Blairstown Center. Founded in 1908, it had long served youth from urban areas with a traditional program of arts, crafts, and waterfront activities. Under his leadership, it evolved to a year-round adventure-based program serving urban young people and their families through a wide range of programs and services. He also led its transformation from a reliance on traditional sources of energy to installations of hydro, solar, and water-powered structures, developments that continue to this day to take advantage of more recent technical developments.

He is survived by his wife, Charlotte Fremon Danielson; two daughters, Susan Danielson of Princeton and Sarah Rominski of Ann Arbor, Mich.; a sister, Harriet Cone of Johnson City, Tenn.; a brother, Dana Danielson of Tracey’s Landing, Md.; and a grandson.

A celebration of his life will be held on Saturday, June 13 at 2 p.m. at the Carl Fields Center at Princeton University. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be sent to the Princeton Blairstown Center, 350 Alexander Road, Princeton 08540.

Patricia F. Borns

Patricia F. Borns, M.D., 87, of Princeton, died April 15 in the University Medical Center at Princeton.

Born in Barstow, Calif., she resided most of her life in Philadelphia before moving to Princeton in 2007.

Dr. Borns received her B.Sc. from Purdue University and her M.D. from Women’s Medical College in Philadelphia, where she was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha. She completed her internship at Philadelphia General Hospital and her residency and fellowship in radiology at the University of Pennsylvania.

During the 1950s and 1960s, Dr. Borns, along with her mentor Dr. John W. Hope, pioneered the field of Pediatric Radiology, first at Thomas Jefferson Hospital and later at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. She was appointed a Fellow of the American College of Radiology at this time. She later became head of the Radiology Departments at Hahnemann University Hospital and A.E.I. Dupont Institute for Children in Wilmington, Del. In the 1980s, she returned to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, where she was appointed a professor at the University of Pennsylvania Medical School.

During the course of her career, she received numerous professional awards for her clinical excellence, academic publications, and distinguished teaching. Her foremost accomplishment during her 45-year career, however, was using her intelligence, talent, and dedication to treat countless numbers of severely ill children.

Daughter of the late Lyle and Eva Sallee Flint, and wife of the late William J. Borns, she is survived by a son, David J. Borns of Albuquerque, N. Mex.; a daughter, Jane A. Borns of Princeton; and a grandson.

A memorial service is planned for the fall of 2009 in Philadelphia. Interment will be private.

Contributions in lieu of flowers may be made to the Princeton Public Library, 65 Witherspoon Street, Princeton 08542.

Arrangements are under the direction of the Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.

Lawrence P. Riddering

Lawrence Peter Riddering, 77, of Varina, Virginia, formerly of Princeton, died April 23 in Richmond, Va. after a long illness.

Born on Long Island, he grew up in Princeton and attended Rutgers University.

He served in the Korean War.

He farmed and worked for the Farmer’s Co-op, and served as a volunteer fireman with the Little Rocky Hill Fire Department for 25 years.

A conservationist, he worked with local conservation groups and helped start the New Jersey State Recycling program in 1968. He moved to Varina in 2006.

He is survived by his wife, Edith Klein Riddering; and four sisters, Leanora A. Burnet of Bon Air, Va., Kate R. Miller of Santa Cruz, Calif., Elfriede A. Heidelberg of Varina, Va., and Annamarie A. Schirber of Osprey, Fla.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be sent to the National Parkinson’s Foundation.

Jerome B. Halter

Jerome Barth Halter, 84, of Indianapolis, Ind., formerly of Princeton, died April 16 in Indianapolis.

Born in Warrenton, Missouri, he was the son of Millard and Kathleen Bartholomaeus Halter. He attended Washington University in St. Louis, obtaining a master’s degree in electrical engineering.

He served in World War II in the Army Signal Corps in Puerto Rico and South America, after studies in the Army Specialized Training Program.

He worked for RCA in advanced research and development at the David Sarnoff Laboratories in Princeton. A born engineer and inventor, he obtained patents for his work on various recording and broadcasting processes. He was the inventor of the recording process for the VideoDisc. During the 1970s, when RCA’s major emphasis was on electron beam recording, he developed electromechanical cutting heads and a method that was more reliable, easier to operate, more economical, and with a better signal-to-noise ratio than electron beam recording. His method was put into production for the public.

In 1972 he married Doris McBride, the administrative assistant to the president of Princeton University. They subsequently moved to Indianapolis to enable Mr. Halter to perfect the electromechanical mastering used to manufacture the VideoDisc. Mrs. Halter died in 1980.

After Mr. Halter’s retirement, he continued to devise improvements in sound and recording in his laboratory at home. He played tennis in a weekly group and enjoyed swimming in his pool and listening to classical music.

His survivors include his caretaker and friend, Shawn McCoy, and many cousins.

The funeral service was April 25 at the Harry W. Moore Funeral Home, 8151 Allisonville Road, Indianapolis.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Doris and Jerome Halter Fund of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Indianapolis, 23 East Washington Street, Indianapolis, Ind. 46204.

Return to Top | Go to People

Town Topics® may be purchased on Wednesday mornings at the following locations: Princeton — McCaffrey’s, Cox’s, Kiosk (Palmer Square), Krauszer’s (State Road), Olives, Speedy Mart (State Road), Wawa (University Place); Hopewell — Village Express; Rocky Hill — Wawa (Route 518); Pennington — Pennington Market.
Copyright© Town Topics®, Inc. 2011.