Vol. LXI, No. 16
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Dr. Michael A. Wasyl, 53, of Montgomery, died April 1 at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital.
He practiced dentistry in Montgomery for more than 25 years.
Born in Kew Gardens, Queens, N.Y., he graduated from the University of Buffalo School of Dentistry in 1980 and was granted the Academy of General Dentistry Award and the American Academy of Dental Radiology Award. He was also awarded an American Cancer Society Fellowship for the study of oncology at Rosewell Park Cancer Institute.
After graduation, he completed a general practice residency program at the Veterans Administration Medical Center in Buffalo, N.Y. As part of his residency, he received training in pediatric dentistry at Buffalo Children's Hospital. Continuing his post-doctoral education, he was pursuing a fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry.
He studied current trends in cosmetic dentistry extensively.
He was a member of the American Dental Association, New Jersey State Dental Association, Academy of General Dentistry, American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, and International Association of Comprehensive Aesthetics.
He is survived by his wife, Debra Rajca-Wasyl; two sons, Alex and Mike, at home; his mother, Nina Wasyl of Hillsborough; and a brother, Konstantine.
Arrangements were by the Hillsborough Funeral Home.
Maturin L. Delafield of Princeton died April 11 in Princeton.
Born in New York City in 1933, he was a member of the class of 1955 at Princeton University, where he was a member of Charter Club.
After graduation he joined the family investment business of Delafield and Delafield and in 1970 founded the firm of Delafield, Harvey, Tabell in Princeton. The firm was purchased by United States Trust Co. in 1992, after which Mr. Delafield continued as a principal until his retirement in 1995.
Predeceased by a son, Maturin "Livy" Delafield, he is survived by his wife, Louise M. Delafield; four stepchildren, Susan, Thomas, Lawrence, and Douglas Ferguson; and three grandchildren.
There will be a private memorial service at The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home.
In lieu of flowers the family requests that memorial donations be made to the Neurology Fund and Parkinson's Research Fund at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Foundation, 8 Easton Avenue, New Brunswick 08901.
Josephine B. "Josie" Spivey of Skillman died April 6 at the University Medical Center at Princeton.
Born in Trenton, she had been a lifelong resident of Skillman.
She was educated in the Skillman Elementary School District and graduated from Princeton High School.
She was employed by R.C.A. in Somerville as an assembler and tester for ten years, and by Optel Electronics in South Brunswick as a technician. She later retired from Princeton Gamma Tech.
She was an active member of Mount Zion Methodist Church in Skillman, where she served as a steward and treasurer for many years.
She was predeceased by her parents, Charles and Puritan Hughes; two daughters, Deitra Ellen Dorsey Scott and Glenda Marnita Dorsey; her former husband, Royal Dorsey Jr.; her husband Edward Glen Spivey; four sisters; and one brother. She is survived by four daughters, Spring Taylor, Tawanna Dorsey, Audrey Spivey, and Patricia Spivey; two sons, Andrey Spivey and Claude Spivey III; a sister, Margaret "Peggy" Hughes-Tunison; 13 grandchildren; and 16 great-grandchildren.
The funeral service was April 13 at Second Calvary Baptist Church, Hopewell. Interment was in Stoutsburg Cemetery, Hopewell.
Arrangements were by the Hughes Funeral Home, Ewing.
Christina Amalia Carnevale, 105, of Princeton, died April 10.
She was born in Pettoranello Di Molise, Italy, where she lived a nearly idyllic life as a small child, with her sister and brother. At the age of eight her life of childish joy was cut short when her mother died. Her father was working in Princeton at the time and it took a month for the news to reach him and for him to rush home to be with his children.
She was married at age 21 to Angelo Carnevale who had recently served with the American Expeditionary Forces in France during World War I. They met on one of his visits to Pettoranello. She had known him as a child before he went to America to be with his father in Princeton, where he was working at the time. They returned to America in 1927.
She served her community in the P.T.A. and as a member of the Catholic Daughters Association. She was an 80-year member of St. Paul's Catholic Church in Princeton.
She was a recognized crochet artist and a lover of flowers, small animals, and birds. She was proudest of her husband's achievements in flower and plant hybridizations and mutations, and of her children's accomplishments.
During the Depression, she was known for her generosity of having food for any hungry passers-by who were in need of a meal.
She was grateful for her good fortune to have lived in America and particularly in Princeton for eight decades, where her longevity made her the oldest living person in Princeton Township, and of her ancestral village, Pettoranello. She received proclamations from both communities attesting to her longevity.
She was predeceased by her husband Angelo S. Sr.; a son, Alfonso; two brothers, Angelo and Delfino Palumbo; and two sisters, Elvina and Lillian Tamasi. She is survived by two sons, Nicholas L. of Princeton and Angelo S. Jr. of Hopewell; a daughter, Evelina C. Gargione of Lawrence Township; a brother, Planino Palumbo; five grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.
The funeral was April 14 at The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home, followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at St. Paul's Church. Burial was in St. Paul's Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to St. Paul's Church, 214 Nassau Street, Princeton 08540; or to The Princeton/Pettoranello Foundation, Inc., 120 John Street, Suite 3, Princeton 08542-3121.
Thomas S. Harvey, M.D., 94, of Titusville, died April 5 at the University Medical Center at Princeton of complications from a stroke.
Born in Louisville, Ky., his family moved soon afterwards to Indianapolis, where he lived until age 12, when the family moved again, to Swarthmore, Pa., and three years later to West Hartford, Conn.
He received his B.S. degree in 1934 from Yale University, his M.D. from Yale School of Medicine in 1941. While in medical school he contracted tuberculosis and had to take two years off to convalesce in a TB sanatorium in Connecticut. It was always his belief that his tuberculosis came from a corpse he dissected in anatomy class. Following graduation from medical school, he served his internship at Philadelphia General Hospital and his residency in pathology at New Haven Hospital.
During World War II he did medical research with the U.S. Army's Chemical Research Center in Edgewood, Md. After the war he became an instructor in pathology and neuroanatomy at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and in 1950 became assistant director of the hospital's Laboratory of Clinical Pathology. In 1952 he accepted a position as director of the pathology laboratory at Princeton Hospital. While working at Princeton, he performed the autopsy on Albert Einstein in 1955.
In 1960 he established his own bio-medical laboratories in Mercer, Middlesex, and Monmouth Counties. During the 1960s and early '70s he also served as pathologist for New Jersey State psychiatric hospitals and at the Veterans Hospital in Lyons.
In the 1970s he moved to Kansas, where he served as director of a commercial medical laboratory, and eventually entered general medical practice in Kansas and Missouri.
Throughout his professional life he was a member of various professional societies, including the American Medical Association, College of American Pathologists, Tissue Culture Association, American Chemical Society, and American Association for the Advancement of Science. Always one to aid others, he was also active in such civic organizations as the Trenton Torch Club, Rotary Club, and the Optimists. He worked on projects such as Habitat for Humanity and sponsored individuals in their quest to become American citizens.
He was physically active throughout his life, enjoying tennis, sailing, travel, hiking, and camping. He camped and hiked in many of America's national parks. Also an ardent sailor, he enjoyed racing his 42-foot yawl class vessel at the Jersey shore. By temperament an extrovert who enjoyed meeting people, he had a wide circle of acquaintances and many long-term friends. He was also a bibliophile with a wide-ranging curiosity who loved to browse in bookstores.
Predeceased by two wives, he is survived by his companion of many years, Cleora Wheatley of Titusville; three sons, Thomas of Cary, N.C., Arthur of Princeton Junction, and Robert of Hopewell; four daughters, Elizabeth of Princeton Junction and Frances Bermudez, Helena Esposito, and Alexandria Pepper, all of Sarasota, Fla.; 11 grandchildren; and one great-granddaughter.
Born into a Quaker family, he remained active in the Religious Society of Friends throughout his life. After returning to New Jersey in 1995, he joined the Yardley, Pa. Quaker Meeting. A memorial service will be held at the Yardley Meetinghouse of the Religious Society of Friends, 65 North Main Street, Yardley, Pa., on a date to be determined.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to an organization of the donor's choice.
Ruth Wyatt, 53, of Skillman, died April 15 of brain cancer, at home.
Born in Cardenas, Cuba, she was witness to the revolution that compelled her family to start a new life in the United States when she was 13. She attended high school and junior college in Long Beach, Calif. and received her B.A. in sociology from the University of Texas at Arlington.
She enjoyed cooking, reading, stimulating conversation, entertaining, and brisk walks. Passion, warmth, and hospitality were the outward expressions of her faith.
An elder in the Presbyterian Church USA, and member of the PEO Sisterhood and Nassau Presbyterian Church, she had a gift for making children feel at home with her and for inspiring them to be their best.
In 1982 Mrs. Wyatt, her husband Alan, and their two young children moved in with Ruth's brother and wife and their two children. They began a shared life as one family that would span 25 years together and see the addition of two more children and the inclusion of Mrs. Wyatt's mother into the household. From 1983 to 1989 the family lived on eighty acres in rural Dighton, Mass., where Mrs. Wyatt raised goats and chickens and was the founder and leader of a large 4-H club. From 1989 to 1996 the family lived in Arlington, Texas where she served as a Stephen Ministry leader, equipping lay people to care for others during times of crisis.
From 1997 until the onset of her illness in 2006 she served as administrative director of the Trenton Children's Chorus. She cared deeply about social justice and believed that all children should have access to quality arts education. She was the 2003 recipient of the Governor's Volunteer Award in the Arts for her work with the Chorus.
In addition to her husband of 34 years, Alan Wyatt, she is survived by her mother, Zoila Llort; a son, Daniel; two daughters, Jessica and Gabriela; and a brother, Frank Llort.
A memorial service will be held this Saturday, April 21 at 2 p.m. at Nassau Presbyterian Church. In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts may be made to the Trenton Children's Chorus, Princeton Outreach Projects, 61 Nassau Street, Princeton 08542.
Rosemarie LaPointe, 54, of Hamilton, died April 11 at Compassionate Care Hospice in Trenton. She was a supervisor of housekeeping at the Nassau Inn for more than 30 years.
Born in Liancourt, Haiti, she had resided in Hamilton for over 20 years.
She was an active member of the First Haitian Church of God in Hamilton, where she served as a treasurer of the Ladies Guild and a member of the church choir.
Daughter of the late Michel and Remilla Exume, she is survived by her husband, Jacques F. LaPointe; three sons; Wooldy, Michael, and Simon, all of Hamilton; a step-daughter, Linda of Florida; and three brothers and six sisters, all of Haiti. Also surviving is her second family of her "mom" Bertha Toussaint and her children, Romy, Marjorie, Carine, Moshe, and Joie, and her "brother" Guillaume Masseus.
The funeral will be Saturday, April 21 at 9 a.m. at the First Haitian Church of God, 1501 Greenwood Avenue, Hamilton, with pastor Joseph Noncent officiating.
Friends may call on Friday, April 20 from 7 to 9 p.m. at Poulson & Van Hise Funeral Directors, 650 Lawrence Road, Lawrenceville.
Burial will be in the Lawrenceville Cemetery.
Ann Singer Abeles, 79, of Princeton, died March 28 at Robert Wood Johnson Hospital, New Brunswick, surrounded by her family.
A native of Vienna, Austria, she escaped Nazi persecution in 1941 and sought refuge in Cuba. At the age of 15, she was obliged to leave school in order to support her family. In 1946, she and her mother emigrated to the United States. She settled in Princeton in 1958.
She enjoyed her work as a travel agent while raising a family with her husband.
She was a woman of elegance and dignity, with a huge heart and Viennese sense of humor. She loved Mozart, Jeopardy, opera, dogs, going to the City, traveling abroad, playing bridge, visiting with friends, and shopping for clothes. In the last years of her life she loved to watch the birds from her bedroom window, and films with her husband every evening.
She is survived by her husband of 50 years, Ben Abeles; her children Rebekah, Susi, and David; and three grandchildren.
Burial and a private funeral service were at Princeton Cemetery on March 29.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Trenton Area Soup Kitchen.
A memorial service celebrating the life of Bonnie L. Wagner will be held on Saturday, April 28 at 2 p.m. at Trinity Episcopal Church, 33 Mercer Street, Princeton.
A reception will follow at the Nassau Club.
Town Topics® may be purchased on Wednesday mornings at the following locations: Princeton McCaffreys, Coxs, Kiosk (Palmer Square), Krauszers (State Road), Olives, Speedy Mart (State Road), Wawa (University Place); Hopewell Village Express; Rocky Hill Wawa (Route 518); Pennington Pennington Market.
Copyright© Town Topics®, Inc. 2011.